Fiesta Faction banner

Radio cutting out intermittently with poping sound

189K views 157 replies 72 participants last post by  Savage Fred 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
So here is what I've got. It started a few months ago with my 2012 fiesta SE. about 28k miles. While in the car (moving or stopped) at random intervals the radio would cut out with a popping sound. All of the radio buttons still operate but there is no sound coming from the speaker. If you turn the car off and then back on again the radio starts working correctly. I have taken my car to, Laurel MD. Academy Ford 4 times, the first of which they told me nothing was wrong, the 2nd and 3rd time they replaced the radio, and the most recent time they replaced the "Body Control Module". The issue is reoccurring and I'm getting to the end of my rope with this issue. Does anyone have any insight or ideas that I can bring up to the dealership to get this fixed? I have the 80W premium audio system if that makes a difference. I'm coming up on 34k miles and want this fixed before my warranty runs out. any help is greatly appreciated. :mad:

#2 ·
Had the same problem with our 11' SE with standard radio. Left front speaker was shorting out, which was causing all sound to stop. Replaced both speakers and the problem was solved. Not certain if you might be having the same problem, but my guess is after 2 radios and a bcm, the speakers would be the next logical point of failure.

#4 ·
I didn't lose sound but had staticy hiss and scratchy sounds from the drivers door speaker on the '12 I had. Got it replaced for nothing and it was just fine up until I traded it for Judy ... my '14.

#9 ·
So the dealership called me today and told me they found a blown front right speaker. As much as I would like this to be the issue causing my problems im afraid its just a result of the loud poping sound before the raduo cuts out. We will surely find out tho.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

#11 · (Edited)
Same issue in my 2013 Fiesta SE.

I just bought it a little more than a week ago with 39000 on it. So, no bumper to bumper left. It cut out for the first time as I was driving it off the lot. Called my used car dealer the following morning since their service department was already closed for the day. They said that they'd make it right and gave me the number for their audio guy. He came to me and diagnosed that it was most likely one of the tweeters since factory tweeters are notorious for being weak and getting blown due to lack of a crossover to filter out frequencies that they cannot play. Seemed reasonable. He disconnected the tweeters and replaced the door speakers with 2 way speakers.

Later that afternoon it pops and goes silent again. I call the guy back and tell him that he must have done the wrong ones because it did it again. I meet him at the dealer the following day and he replaces the rear door speakers.

That evening it does it AGAIN. I call my dealer and firmly explain that while I appreciate that they are trying to make it right (they sold it to me with the understanding that everything worked, so they better make it right), that their guy is obviously in over his head and maybe it's time to send it to the local ford dealership ON THEM. After waiting for a call back after they got approval, they finally tell me to go ahead and make the appointment to be charged back to my dealer.

I take it in to the ford dealership a couple days ago for the stereo issue and a first to second shudder from the powershift. I check in yesterday and they tell me that they're replacing the clutches under the powertrain warranty per the latest powershift tsb and that they updated the software on all stereo and sync related components and they think that resolved the stereo issue.

After reading the horror stories here, I was pleasantly surprised that I didn't have to fight to get the clutches replaced but was skeptical about the stereo resolution. I call in today since I was told the clutches would be completed today and they tell me that while test driving to verify the clutch repair, the stereo cut out again.

I KNEW IT! I've never heard of software causing a hardware issue like that. Now they need to keep it until least sometime Monday to try and find the root cause. I have a suspicion that they will not be able to pinpoint it and they're probably trying to avoid replacing it all since my dealer probably doesn't want to pay that much.

If they are not able to pinpoint the root cause with certainty, what should I do? My used car dealer has offered to put in an aftermarket head unit but I don't find that to be acceptable since I would lose sync functionality and vehicle health reporting and such. Should I push for full replacement of the stereo components if they are unable to pinpoint a specific culprit? I feel that once my dealer agreed fix the problem and cover the cost, they're committed regardless of the cost.

*edit*
I wish I had 4000 less miles. Then, my used car dealer would have no input.

#13 ·
No loss of power. It just pops and the speakers go dead. Everything stays illuminated and the bluetooth even stays connected. The radio also loses the ability to lock into a radio station - it just seeks all the way through the dial.

It's still at the dealer while they try to sort this out.

#16 ·
That's in the radio. The popping sound is the radio protecting itself from an internal short. Just a loose solder joint or something, it can also be as simple as a loose connection to a speaker. I was changing the speakers on my little neice's car and we lost BOTH speakers in the front when I forgot to reconnect one side.

#18 ·
Thanks limeade. We're on opposite coasts though. My service center got it taken care of. I just stood firm with my used car dealer that they had their opportunity (twice) to fix it and now they needed to pay to have the ford dealer resolve it. Cost them $750 to replace the stereo module. Works great now.

Also, Harrold Ford of Sacramento is awesome. They properly diagnosed and repaired my stereo and worked with my used car dealer to get payment. And, they gave me no flak about applying the most recent powershift tsb and replaced my dual clutch pack and several other transmission parts. Great service on their part.

#20 ·
electrical issues ???

New to this forum. I have a similar problem. My radio intermittently cuts out (no popping sound) then starts playing again, head lights flicker at night, dash lights and screen panel go wavy. Car doesn't even have to be running. The interior lights flicker. I've checked battery terminals. It is scheduled to go in to the shop next week for transmission issues, but thought I would try to find some insight on these other problems. It's a 2013 with 26,000 miles. Not very pleased with having issues already.

#21 ·
New to this forum. I have a similar problem. My radio intermittently cuts out (no popping sound) then starts playing again, head lights flicker at night, dash lights and screen panel go wavy. Car doesn't even have to be running. The interior lights flicker. I've checked battery terminals. It is scheduled to go in to the shop next week for transmission issues, but thought I would try to find some insight on these other problems. It's a 2013 with 26,000 miles. Not very pleased with having issues already.
Welcome to the forum!

I want to dig a bit deeper into this. Please send me a private message with your VIN, best daytime phone number, full name, and dealer name/location.

Meagan

#22 ·
Similar thing started happening with my 2012 Fiesta. About 2 weeks ago, heard a pop/static thing and no volume (was playing a CD at the time). CD kept moving;lights for audio system stayed on. Shut the car down and turned it on again and everything was fine...for about a week and it just happened to me again recently. Thanks in advance if anyone has a solution. I need to make an appointment for an oil change soon, so I should probably have them look at the radio issue, too.

#23 ·
I got a 2012 Ford Fiesta SE, 45,00 miles on it. Warranty just expired on it. I'm having problems with my radio. There would be a popping sound and the radio will shut off. If I turn my car off and turn it back on the radio will come back on. After awhile it was doing it more often. After I turn my car off there was popping coming through the speakers while the car was off !!! This went on for about 10 mins or so then it stop. Now my radio will not come back on anymore. I have tried to disconnect the battery, replace the fuse and still won't come on. Can anybody give me an idea about what else to look at? I have done a lot of research on this problem and haven't found a answer to this problem. I have even tried to take the radio out and hook it back up thinking it may reset itself but still won't come on at all.

I have been without a radio for a month now in my car and it's driving me crazy. It sucks everything wants to tear up after the warranty expires.

#24 ·
I was disappointed today (because I cannot afford the fix) that I have to have the ACM/Audio Control module fixed for the exact same problem: loud pop/crackle and then no sound even though, for example, the CD keeps playing. It is a very expensive fix and I am heartbroken that I can't afford it and I'm borrowing a boombox. Doesn't seem like something so severe should happen to a car that I've had for just a wee bit over 2 years. Then again, I guess these things happen to "newer" cars, too. Love my Ford dealership; just hate that things like these don't have a more reasonable fix price or perhaps an allowance for something malfunctioning so soon after purchase.

#31 ·
Hi Meagan,

Please let me know if there is another way to send you the info requested. It is 11:05 p.m. and I am still not able to send you a private message - keeps telling me that the private message box is too full to accept my message and that you have to empty before I can send. Thanks.

#33 · (Edited)
Meagan, my problem is exactly the same as noted here. My radio will sporadically make a loud popping noise and completely turn off. My car was recently at the dealership to have the recall fixed on the transmission and I asked them to figure out the problem with the radio while it was in. They told me that they did not experience any problems with the radio while they had it, so there was nothing that could be done and said that they tightened all connections. The problem now is that the popping sound is very loud, frankly frightening, and is now occurring when the radio is on and off. It could possibly be a danger with driving as well, as it is very startling and makes you jump a bit. My daughter now cringes when she hears noises coming from the radio. My concern now is that I obviously need to take it back to the dealership, but as nothing was done before and I am a single mother who cannot afford to leave my car for a long period of time, I need to get this replaced before my warranty is out. the dealer noted that if I kept having problems then brought the radio back in later and it was after warranty that they will work with me, but that seems very unfair since I need it repaired now and I can't prove this unless I drive them around with me and have it hope it happens. My car was with the dealership for over a week when the transmission recall was done, and in winter in Colorado I cannot have my car gone for so long again. However, I also cannot continue to drive my car with such loud startling sounds happening without warning from the radio. I would be very happy if you could assist me in finding a way to get this replacement handled. I have already had speakers replaced in the past, but this seems to be an issue with the radio itself. even the dealership said that it sounded like it had a short, but again without proof they seemed as though they thought their hands were tied. It's very frustrating overall. I look forward to hearing from you and hope that you can help me out! Thanks.

#35 · (Edited)
we just purchased a used 2012 fiesta S with 50k on it. asfter a couple weeks of driving it the radio would just shut off untill the vehicle was turned off then on again. its slowley getting worse . like the other morning getting ready to go out for breakfast i hear thunder outside with no rain. oh no its my little fiesta going crazy with no key or nothing on. now its to the point wherei had to pull the fuse behind the glove box.because its a MAJOR hazard while driving. you would swear someone sideswiped you. i have a video of it doing it while looking at christmas lights ith the family. Is there a workaround for this? can you install an after market radio? is the radio module the actual radio? if so if i bought a used one from another S model and same RPO code will it work with out reprogramming? so many questions. Once i thought i heard "data" going through the speaker as if it where interference. but again the vehicle was off.

IF there is any fix that does not require flashing/ reprogramming modules please PLEASE let me know. I am a mechanic by trade and can and will perform anything that is needed on this car. i just dont have a passthrough or j box to flash.

#43 ·
Amanda - Your prior post stated that you are in a 2012 model year with about 27k miles. This is within the Ford factory bumper-to-bumper warranty of 36month /36k miles. Why are you not taking it to the dealer?

#44 ·
It has been to the dealer - who stated that it was not occurring in front of them - and so they tightened things... and told me that they did not know anything else to do. So I am getting a little additional backup here, as well as dealer contact, and then going from there. Believe me, the dealer has been contact before... ;)

#46 ·
I also experienced the same issue, my radio has been non functioning since April, I have a 2012 fiesta with 76000 miles that I bought new, dealership said they didn't know what the problem was, but would replace the radio for 750, but it could also be the acm. When the noise happened it nearly made me crash, my radio was all the way down and all of a sudden it made this terrible noise. I think that this issue is prevalent enough to say it's a factory defect :( I love everything about my car except the current lack of radio.

Ben

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.