Fiesta Faction banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Driving on the NE Extension of the PA Turnpike, I ran over a heavy metal object. I think it was a universal joint from a tractor trailer. The first pic shows the dented trunk from underneath and the hole that got punched into the trunk, which also messed up the fuel evap container.

The next shows where it hit the front cross member, where the steering rack is attached. It also showed the mangled exhaust and heat shield. You can also see a sheet metal bracing above the exhaust that got twisted on the one side.

The last pic shows the hole in the trunk floor from inside. It did push up the spare tire and bounced around everything that was in the hatch.
I didn't post a pic of it, but the gaps from the hatch to the quarter panel on the driver side is wider than on the passenger side, so the frame in the back may have also been tweaked.

Something is messed up in the from suspension, possibly the rack being shifted or the alignment getting knocked around, so while it can be driven, it doesn't handle well.
I'm waiting to hear from the insurance adjuster, but with all of the damage, I think the car will be totaled, which will be crappy, since it's not even two years old with 40K on it.
IMG_2378.JPG IMG_2384.JPG IMG_2385.JPG IMG_2412.JPG

·
Registered
18 Posts
Ugh, that doesn't look good at all. But fortunately it seems that you are ok? Best of luck with the insurance process.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My wife and I are okay, thanks for asking.
It was a heck of a ride, but luckily it was very short.
Thinking back, if it had hit one of the front tires, it would have been a lot worse, where I probably would have lost control and maybe even lost a wheel.

Especially crappy since this is my first ever new car and my wife three days before got my windows tinted! I'm sure the insurance won't cover that if the car is totaled.

·
Registered
654 Posts
That's a scary one, glad you're both okay.

You may want to check the front subframe, too, to make sure it's straight.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That's a scary one, glad you're both okay.

You may want to check the front subframe, too, to make sure it's straight.
At bare minimum, the alignment got knocked out, but I agree that there is a really good chance the front frame is bent as it took a nasty hit.
Coupled with my untrained eye looking at the left/right gaps of the hatch door to the quarter being off, I think the back unibody is also tweaked. On the left side the gap in the middle appears wider than the top/bottom gaps and the only way I can see that is if the unibody got bent and where it punched the trunk floor is on the left side.
Which is th main reason I think it will be totalled.

Plus, if they don't total it and try to 'fix' it, I don't think that I would ever trust the structure of the vehicle and I would look to sell/trade it instantly.
If they do total it, I wish I had a garage and the time, I would be tempted to buy the car back and part it out. The engine has had synthetic after the initial factory oil fill and most of the miles (39K) are highway. Plus all of the body parts are perfect and the crappy part is that 4 days before the accident, I had all the glass tinted. I'm sure the insurance company won't care about that fact.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, it's official, the Fiesta is totaled!
Got the call yesterday afternoon that the cost to repair was minimum $10K, so it's officially dead.

If all that you did was look at the body of the car, you couldn't tell there was a problem, unless you looked really closely at a couple of body lines and even they could be manufacturers tolerances for an inexpensive car.
I'm going to try and get pics from the body shop of the underneath when they put the car up on a lift.

Now do I get another one? Do I look for a low mileage used one? A leftover '19?
I got it because it was inexpensive and had decent MPG.
So I would be looking for the same. Bought it in late February 2018 and it has 39K on the odometer, so basically 20K per year.
When I got my '17, there was a ton of Fiestas out there, but since they're going away, there aren't near as many available.

So my first ever new car didn't even make it to two years!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, just picked up the replacement!
Found a 2019 Fiesta SE with Nav, Sync 3Appearance package, cold weather package and it’s Shadow Black!!
Much more optioned than the previous car.

I’ll get some pictures up soon!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Beautiful! A bit of your license plate found its way into your front right headlight. That might mess up nighttime visibility a little bit. hehe!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It is a sneaky license plate! Lol!

Picked it up on Friday and have already updated the Sync 3 firmware!

From reading the manual, it said that the fog lamps won't come on when you use the auto headlights, which I thought sucked, because I left my 2017 on auto all the time.
I figured I'd try it and surprise, surprise... it worked!! Otherwise I was going to go into Forscan and change it to unrestricted, per some online reading.

Next step is to do tinting.... AGAIN!!! Literally three days before my old Fiesta was totaled, my wife had got me tinting as a Christmas present. We haven't even paid for it yet and when the accident happened, the tinting hadn't even cured enough to roll down the windows!

After that, I'm thinking of doing a remote start kit. Originally figured to use the Ford OEM kit, but it's close to $300 discounted and when I looked at the instructions, it looked very involved.
Then I stumbled upon a company called Accessorides, who makes remote start kits. My only problem is that they only show up to 2016, but I thought the Fiesta stayed basically the same until it's last year of 2019?
Has anyone used the Accessorides kit and on anything newer than 2016?

Brian

1 - 12 of 12 Posts