Fiesta Faction banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys and gals! Im new here and stumbled upon this forum while searching for some answers. Anyways, I have a 2012 Fiesta S 5spd manual. I just had an issue with the loose head bolts allowing water to sit on a piston. when tearing down the stuff around the head, I found a water outlet that was completely eroded away and white on the inside. Any one have an idea what could cause this? I can add pictures if need be.

Also, on my way home from work today, I was at a stop sign and my rpms went from a normal idle (600-800rpms) to around 2,500. This has never happened before and I'm concerned given all the money I just spent on new seals and parts.

Any insight or trouble shooting that I can do is really appreciated!

·
Registered
68 Posts
Sounds like you could have an air leak. Did you have to take any vacuum hoses or intake parts off? I'm assuming so. Engines at idle pull the most vacuum so that is when an air leak "surge" will happen most. Check for any codes that may be indicative of a leak such as misfire codes, mixture/lean codes, O2 and cat. That's where I would start. A smoke test would be in order after that. As for the water outlet, it sounds like your system underwent electrolysis. Was the coolant in there a really long time? Eventually coolant will break down and turn acidic, and that's when the metal it's flowing through basically turns into one giant battery.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sounds like you could have an air leak. Did you have to take any vacuum hoses or intake parts off? I'm assuming so. Engines at idle pull the most vacuum so that is when an air leak "surge" will happen most. Check for any codes that may be indicative of a leak such as misfire codes, mixture/lean codes, O2 and cat. That's where I would start. A smoke test would be in order after that. As for the water outlet, it sounds like your system underwent electrolysis. Was the coolant in there a really long time? Eventually coolant will break down and turn acidic, and that's when the metal it's flowing through basically turns into one giant battery.
me and the guy that was help I my me had to take off almost everything like the intake, exhaust mani, and a bunch ofother things in order to get the head off. Vacuum lines included. Once everything was put back together, he did say that a little splitter that goes on the vac line was missing so he replaced that part too. Could there still be a leak some where?
Before I started having white smoke, the CEL came on so I ran the machine for codes and the scan came back clean. When I went to leave the auto part store, then the white smoke happened and I instantly thought it was a blown head gasket or something and I did all this work to it. The water outlet that was all messed up was actually plastic, which is why I’m puzzled as to why it would be all bubbled up on the inside.

Attachments

·
Registered
68 Posts
Hmm interesting. So I think you really need a smoke machine, you're gonna wanna smoke a few different places to check for leaks. You'll wanna smoke through the intake tube, and the oil cap. Check for any leaks and fix accordingly. I suspect when your head gasket went you had some funny stuff happening. Exhaust probably mixed with the coolant and overheated the engine. The pic of the flange looks like it's probably heat damage. Do you remember seeing the temp gauge go above the middle mark? Another good indicator of overheating is checking the spark plugs. Pull the plugs and post a picture. Spark plugs are the tarot cards of the engine. They can tell you many things about vehicle health.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The car had over heated once and I had only drove from work to my house which is about 7 minutes of driving. I noticed the light come on when I pulled in my drive way so I killed the car and let it cool for a few hours. Then I came back and started it up and fill the coolant system with water to start checking for leaks and nothjno was visible even with the car in the air.
when I pulled the head off, the gasket was fine. No heat damage or anything to it.All I found was 3 loose head bolts over one piston and that piston had water sitting on it. I’ve talked to many people and they’ve all said about the same thing. We all think that it’s been happening for a while and that’s why the previous owners had gotten ridof the car.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Got it, yeah my recommendation is to get to somewhere with a smoke machine and also to inspect the plugs. Then report back to us

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The plugs are brand new. Only have about 40 miles on them. Same with the plug wires. I went to my near by auto zone and ran the scanner and I have a miss fire on cylinder 3. I check my coil pack and the 3 cylinder is firing at random. The guy I talked to at auto zone said that this should fix my random rpm spikes. I’ll report back once I have the new coil pack installed.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Okay so I have the new coil pack installed. Random RPM spikes uncontrollableness fixed. Car still idles really rough so I took off the throttle body and cleaned that. Bolted everything back on, and got out the car to have a listen and I hear this very noticeable whistling sound coming from the intake manifold area. I’m not 100% sure where it’s coming from but I have a meeting with my mechanic tomorrow morning. Any advice?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Whistling is often too much vacuum/vacuum leak. Again brother, you need a smoke test. It should reveal any issues you're having.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I really appreciate you guys help. We found the vacuum leak. It was tucked away under the throttle body and had cob webs in it. Evidentially when I had my clutch repairs, the ford tech didn’t put EVERYTHING back.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts