Fiesta Faction banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Fiesta Titanium Hatch manual
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi FiestaFaction. I'm having an issue with my 2013 Titanium hatch manual with 135,000 miles.

Recently I could feel a brake hanging/sticking after applying the brakes. The problem occurs very randomly, and a quick spike of the brake pedal usually releases it. I couldn't feel the car pulling right or left when it would happen so I assumed it was a rear brake. After a few back and forths in the driveway I finally felt it hang up, so I jacked up the rear of the car and discovered the right rear wheel was the one stuck.

The most obvious thing to check was the wheel cylinder, which was a little sticky, so I installed a new wheel cylinder but the problem is still there. Drum brakes are pretty simple and everything else looked fine so I'm not too sure what else to load into the parts cannon to solve this.

A question - the car is a manual shift so it has the Hill Start Assist feature. Do any of you happen to know which brakes this affects when it engages? Could it be malfunctioning and is there a way to disable it to troubleshoot? ForScan, perhaps?

Anyone else ever have this problem? I appreciate any ideas/feedback.

·
Registered
216 Posts
My 2015 ST has been doing this. I'd be driving fine, apply the brakes, and it would start dragging. The first time I noticed it was right after some hard braking. I pulled over, tapped the brakes, turned off the car, turned it back on, contemplated calling the roadside assistance for a tow... But I was only a short distance from home, so I thought I could probably make it. When I started up again, everything was back to normal. Then it happened another time, and another. Each time it would clear up on its own eventually. I thought I must have damaged something that first time when I slammed on the brakes.

I thought it was only the right front brake dragging - that was the only one that seemed noticeably warmer. The brake hoses looked good, so I ordered a new caliper and replaced it. No change, maybe worse. I realized that the dragging was being caused by pressure in the brake line, because the brake fluid shot out of the bleed fitting when I opened it - with the car off, and no pressure on the pedal.

I'd read here that an intermittent / bad brake pedal switch could cause the Hill Start Assist to stick on - so I tried turning that off on mine, no change. It would start dragging with even the smallest pressure on the pedal, and the only thing I could really do to get it to release was to open that bleed fitting. I did some more digging online, and my best uneducated guess was the ABS controller.

I don't have enough time to deal with something that involved - so I decided to let the experts handle it. Luckily the dealer is pretty close, so I managed to get it there without completely melting the rotor. I told the service coordinator the symptoms and what I'd tried. They were sure it was a collapsed brake line - but replacing that did not help. They noticed that the back left was dragging, too, so they suspected a bad master cylinder. Nope, not that either. Next and final suspect: Hydraulic Control Unit (a.k.a. ABS control unit), so they've finally come around to where I was when I dropped it off. I'd really hoped that I was wrong, because that was the most expensive possibility. We'll see when they call (later today).

How did yours turn out? Or did it just get better over the last month?

·
Registered
216 Posts
Got it back Thursday afternoon. Drove it a handful of times since, no issues. Wish I'd just had the time to buy a used HCU from eBay and had a bi-directional scanner that could program it.

·
Registered
2013 Fiesta Titanium Hatch manual
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wow, thanks for the reply. Did that fix the issue?

I'm only experiencing it on the right rear. It's still doing it, but I can spike the pedal and fix the problem. A friend suggested a deteriorated not letting the fluid flow back out of the wheel cylinder, which makes sense in my head so I'll try replacing that and hopefully that solves it. It's an odd problem, for sure.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Wow, thanks for the reply. Did that fix the issue?
So far, so good. But since I did the caliper, they did a brake line, the master cylinder, and the ABS controller, I'm not sure how much else was left to replace!

I'm only experiencing it on the right rear. It's still doing it, but I can spike the pedal and fix the problem. A friend suggested a deteriorated not letting the fluid flow back out of the wheel cylinder, which makes sense in my head so I'll try replacing that and hopefully that solves it. It's an odd problem, for sure.
Best of luck with it. I hope it's that simple!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts