Fiesta Faction banner
1 - 20 of 281 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Works great. Maintains ABS and Traction control. They took an hour to install (plus bleeding brakes). No e-brake cable yet, but I'm working on it. 15" alloys clear with no problem.

Let me know what you think.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
We are building the kit to be sold by a Fiesta Faction sponsor in the near future. It uses Ford Calipers and rotors. At least at first, the kit will come without calipers or rotors, just the adapter kit (adapter brackets, brake line, e-brake cable adapter and hardware).

I'm guessing that the kit will be around $100-$150.

·
Registered
3,428 Posts
How is brake pedal feel with the rear discs? From other drum-to-disc conversions, I always had to change the master cylinder to maintain the right line pressure and brake feel. Looks like SVT Focus/rear disc 01-04 Focus rear calipers, is that correct? I would be very interested in a kit that used Ford parts and was cost effective. My only concern is brake feel as well as brake balance from front to rear. Any proportioning valve needed?

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
These are cnc machined 4140 chromoly. They use Focus SVT calipers and rotors. The 253mm kit will use Focus ST rotors.

The pedal feels great (like stock). No rear brake lock-up although it does feel like the rears have more bite than stock. This test kit was using Hawk HP brake pads in the rear and stock Fiesta in the front.

I really want to stick with the SVT (280mm) rotors just because of availablility (rotors and calipers).

This is a complete bolt on kit, no welding. It also doesn't change the wheel base width.

·
Registered
525 Posts
When you get to the hand brake work I hope you make it a REAL handbrake, that is to say, one that will lock up the rear wheels when yanked hard enough. I hate these "emergency" brakes that will barely hold the car in place in a level parking lot.

·
Registered
3,428 Posts
When you get to the hand brake work I hope you make it a REAL handbrake, that is to say, one that will lock up the rear wheels when yanked hard enough. I hate these "emergency" brakes that will barely hold the car in place in a level parking lot.
mine locks, and I know the SVT Focus rears will lock via the handbrake. :)

sounds like all good stuff for a rear disc project. Did the rear disc Focuses use a different MC and proportioning valve than their drum equipped cars? I am really excited about the prospect of using SVT Focus rears on the Fiesta. The calipers, rotors, and pads are all easily obtained. I had an extra set of SVT rotors, but gave them away with the car. Should have kept them.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
mine locks, and I know the SVT Focus rears will lock via the handbrake. :)

sounds like all good stuff for a rear disc project. Did the rear disc Focuses use a different MC and proportioning valve than their drum equipped cars? I am really excited about the prospect of using SVT Focus rears on the Fiesta. The calipers, rotors, and pads are all easily obtained. I had an extra set of SVT rotors, but gave them away with the car. Should have kept them.
The Focuses with rear disc used the same master cylinder as drum, and no proportioning valve. Ford also sells a kit to convert a Focus to rear disc brakes. This kit doesn't come with a master cylinder.

As far as the e-brake, the Focus with rear disc brakes, the e-brake will lock up the rear wheels very nicely.

This is my son racing in the Ken Block Gymkhana Grid. Stock Focus SVT rear disc brakes, stock e-brake handle.

·
Registered
3,428 Posts
thanks for the info on the MC and ppv. I never did any brake swaps on either of my Focuses, but have done extensive brake work on my Mustang. That is great news concerning the MC and ppv not needing to be replaced. I can surely see these rear discs going on my Fiesta next spring when the snow melts. It would be great if there was a way to use the Fiesta front calipers with an adapter that would move them out radially far enough to use SVT Focus front rotors.

·
Registered
373 Posts
I like the look of this kit and I would consider something like this in the future when I start Autocrossing.

But I have a few concerns. Is this package larger then the stock package on the front brakes? Or do they happen to match ?

I'm a bit worried that the balance maybe thrown off if the rears ended up being larger then the front brakes. Unless of course, the kit includes all 4 corners. Also, adjustable brake balance would be REALLY nice if it was possible.

Looks good so far but I'd love some more info.

EDIT: I can see my concerns have already been raised by BRGT350. It's always nice to see great minds thinking a like!

bneale

1 - 20 of 281 Posts