Fiesta Faction banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If all rear headrests are removed how flat will the rear seats lay down? If not totally flat, has anyone removed the rear seats or the rear seat backs to achieve a totally flat cargo area? I'm on Maui and dealer still doesn't have them in stock.
Thanks

·
Registered
260 Posts
If all rear headrests are removed how flat will the rear seats lay down? If not totally flat, has anyone removed the rear seats or the rear seat backs to achieve a totally flat cargo area? I'm on Maui and dealer still doesn't have them in stock.
Thanks
If you remove the head rests you can fold down the seats but they don't fold completely flat. They aren't designed that way. If you go to this website and scroll through the pix on the right hand side of the page you can see a pic of the rear seats folded down.
Ford Fiesta a game changer in world of small, nimble rides | detnews.com | The Detroit News

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
golf clubs behind rear seats

Thanks, that photo was helpful.
Does anyone know if you can fit a bag of golf clubs in cargo area behind rear seats with rear seats up?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Thanks
I tried to remove the rear seat backs. Where the each seat pivots, toward the outside of the car, is a little white lever. You can press down on it, and the rear seat back will come loose. The only problem is that the center seat belt is bolted to the floor of the car. I suppose you could unbolt it, but I didn't really want to do that, so I made do with the seats down.

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
I tried to remove the rear seat backs. Where the each seat pivots, toward the outside of the car, is a little white lever. You can press down on it, and the rear seat back will come loose. The only problem is that the center seat belt is bolted to the floor of the car. I suppose you could unbolt it, but I didn't really want to do that, so I made do with the seats down.
That's good to know. I never have center rear passengers so I'll probably get rid of that belt to allow for easier removal of the seat backs. What about the bottom seat cushions? Do they look like they come out easily?

·
Registered
32,429 Posts
I have to admit that the rear seats not folding absolutely flat is one of the few things that is not appealing to me about the car.

·
Registered
508 Posts
I have to admit that the rear seats not folding absolutely flat is one of the few things that is not appealing to me about the car.
For the seats to sit flat either the cargo area floor would need to be higher or the back seat would need to fold against the back of the front seat either of which would reduce the cargo area. IMHO the only thing wrong is that you have to remove the headrests to fold the seat down which is a pain. However if you read the headrest thread you'll see that I solved that problem :).

·
Registered
6,416 Posts
This is a matter I really just don't care about. I don't see the car as "good for hauling" and don't typically car large things like a double bass or golf clubs, so for me it's a non-issue. I can see how some lifestyles might be more annoyed by it though.

At the dealership my boyfriend asked the salesman about removing the backseats. He showed us the leavers, but didn't mention the seatbelt thing (he probably didn't think about them). :)

·
Registered
32,429 Posts
For the seats to sit flat either the cargo area floor would need to be higher or the back seat would need to fold against the back of the front seat either of which would reduce the cargo area. IMHO the only thing wrong is that you have to remove the headrests to fold the seat down which is a pain. However if you read the headrest thread you'll see that I solved that problem :).
I know the way they fold is the norm. I was just spoiled by the Magic Seat™ in the Honda Fit. :D

·
Registered
131 Posts
How To Remove Fiesta Rear Seat Back

I wanted a flat load floor in my SES hatchback so after 3 attempts I finally figured out how to get the rear seat back off relatively simply. With the seat-back out, the load floor is virtually flat with the rear seat cushion :)

1A. Remove the rear seat cushion. There is a clip just under the front edge of the seat about 8" or 10" in from either side and 1.5" to 2" from the front edge. You might be able to see them if you have a mirror and a flashlight but you can feel them under the front edge of the seat. They both push toward the passenger side of the car (unless you are in the UK in which they would push toward the driver side) to release the seat cushion while you are pulling it up. Once the clips are loose you have to push the cushion towards the rear of the car (even in the UK it is still the rear) and then lift up to get the seat cushion out. Actually you don't have to remove the seat cushion but it makes step 1B and 2 a lot easier and you need to know how to remove the seat cushion if you ever have to replace the fuel pump anyway.

1B. Remove torx head screw holding center seat belt.

2. Remove two torx head screws holding center pivot bracket.

From here you can do it the easy way or the obvious way.

3A. Here's the easy way: With the seat back folded forward (you can do either side first) look at the outer pivot. The plastic piece looks like it will just slide up and out but it won't. Between the outer and inner sides of the plastic pivot there is a black piece with white paint on it. This is a metal hook that prevents the plastic piece from coming out. I used a Craftsman 1/8" standard screw driver to pry the metal piece towards the rear. It is tricky to get it started but then it goes 3/4 of the way pretty easy. At this point you have to get brave. Set the screw driver on the metal part with the white paint so that you can hit the screw driver with a hammer to drive the metal hook all the way back. When you then use the aforementioned hammer to hit the aforementioned screw driver you will drive the metal hook back and the plastic piece will jump up and you can lift the seat back out of the car. To install the seat be sure to push the plastic pivot all the way down and then pry the metal hook all the way forward.

3B. Here's the obvious way: Unscrew the two torx head screws securing the outer bracket. Use a large screw driver to remove the black plastic push pin holding the interior trim to the outer bracket. Move the seat-back around to get enough clearance to remove the allen head pivot bolt. Then you can remove the bracket and then the seat-back. (You might be able to get the seat-back out without removing the pivot bolt, but I'm pretty sure you can't get it back in.) Once you get the outer bracket out you will see why you should have used the easy way in step 3A (d-ohhh!).

Good luck and work safe.

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
Thanks for posting that HokieBill. I was planning on doing this myself but just have not had the chance. Are the seatbacks as heavy as they feel? I might leave them out to save on fuel.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Rear Seat-Back Weight

IAMZ,
Yeah, the seat-backs are heavier than I expected. I'd guess 10-15 lbs for the small side and 20-25 lbs for the long side. The seat bottom is pretty light though, I'd guess 10-15 lbs., maybe even less. I'm considering leaving out the backs myself (the dog would like the space). However, I would not recommend leaving out the seat bottom because the fuel pump wiring and some sort of antenna wiring would be exposed. If you leave the center seat-back bracket off (which you would since it would be in the way of anything you want to carry) you will need to put screws in the mounting holes (M10's I think, maybe M8's?)(3 total; 2 for the bracket and one for the center seat belt) since they go right through to outside and would let dust, noise and water in.

Good luck and work safe:)

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
IAMZ,
Yeah, the seat-backs are heavier than I expected. I'd guess 10-15 lbs for the small side and 20-25 lbs for the long side. The seat bottom is pretty light though, I'd guess 10-15 lbs., maybe even less. I'm considering leaving out the backs myself (the dog would like the space). However, I would not recommend leaving out the seat bottom because the fuel pump wiring and some sort of antenna wiring would be exposed. If you leave the center seat-back bracket off (which you would since it would be in the way of anything you want to carry) you will need to put screws in the mounting holes (M10's I think, maybe M8's?)(3 total; 2 for the bracket and one for the center seat belt) since they go right through to outside and would let dust, noise and water in.

Good luck and work safe:)
I was surprised how light the seat bottom is. It's just soy foam and fabric though. I'll have to weigh the individual pieces when I get them out. Thanks.

·
Registered
366 Posts
I wanted a flat load floor in my SES hatchback so after 3 attempts I finally figured out how to get the rear seat back off relatively simply. With the seat-back out, the load floor is virtually flat with the rear seat cushion :)

1A. Remove the rear seat cushion. There is a clip just under the front edge of the seat about 8" or 10" in from either side and 1.5" to 2" from the front edge. You might be able to see them if you have a mirror and a flashlight but you can feel them under the front edge of the seat. They both push toward the passenger side of the car (unless you are in the UK in which they would push toward the driver side) to release the seat cushion while you are pulling it up. Once the clips are loose you have to push the cushion towards the rear of the car (even in the UK it is still the rear) and then lift up to get the seat cushion out. Actually you don't have to remove the seat cushion but it makes step 1B and 2 a lot easier and you need to know how to remove the seat cushion if you ever have to replace the fuel pump anyway.

1B. Remove torx head screw holding center seat belt.

2. Remove two torx head screws holding center pivot bracket.

From here you can do it the easy way or the obvious way.

3A. Here's the easy way: With the seat back folded forward (you can do either side first) look at the outer pivot. The plastic piece looks like it will just slide up and out but it won't. Between the outer and inner sides of the plastic pivot there is a black piece with white paint on it. This is a metal hook that prevents the plastic piece from coming out. I used a Craftsman 1/8" standard screw driver to pry the metal piece towards the rear. It is tricky to get it started but then it goes 3/4 of the way pretty easy. At this point you have to get brave. Set the screw driver on the metal part with the white paint so that you can hit the screw driver with a hammer to drive the metal hook all the way back. When you then use the aforementioned hammer to hit the aforementioned screw driver you will drive the metal hook back and the plastic piece will jump up and you can lift the seat back out of the car. To install the seat be sure to push the plastic pivot all the way down and then pry the metal hook all the way forward.

3B. Here's the obvious way: Unscrew the two torx head screws securing the outer bracket. Use a large screw driver to remove the black plastic push pin holding the interior trim to the outer bracket. Move the seat-back around to get enough clearance to remove the allen head pivot bolt. Then you can remove the bracket and then the seat-back. (You might be able to get the seat-back out without removing the pivot bolt, but I'm pretty sure you can't get it back in.) Once you get the outer bracket out you will see why you should have used the easy way in step 3A (d-ohhh!).

Good luck and work safe.
Any photos of the finished product? Is it just the normal back seat with the tops of the seats gone?

·
Registered
131 Posts
Fiesta Flat Load Floor

Any photos of the finished product? Is it just the normal back seat with the tops of the seats gone?
I now have seat back in so I don't have any pics. With just the seatback out of the car the seat cushion is flat to the rest of the load floor. The center metal seat bracket is gone along with the seat belt buckles so there is nothing sticking up. You will have a small gap between the load floor and the seat cushion which could be a problem depending on what you are carrying. By the time we put his bed over the crack our 80 lb. Lab didn't seem to mind. (Of course we were taking him camping so we could have tied in on the roof and he would have been happy:p. Humm, maybe we'll try that next time?)

If you also leave the seat cushion out you will have more room but the load floor won't be flat which is what I wanted and there is some exposed wiring. In my case, I have the Intelligent Access and one of the antennas is under the cushion; it has some really small (20 or 22 ga.) exposed wires.

·
Registered
910 Posts
On another thread, someone mentioned building a false bottom at the level of the folded rear seat-backs. Gives hidden storage and a flat trunk. I think I'll look into this options, the wife is great with wood working. The emergency stuff they recommend we carry in this land of earthquakes, etc. could fit under there and it should be removable more easily than adding/removing the seat backs.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Was me probably. yeah I'm going to try it if I can. Going to get some big pieces of cardboard to do a mockup first. Also have to try to find a place that sells the grey trunk material. I want it to look OEM if I do it. Won't do it halfway. I was looking underneath the rear "floor" today. Geez, that is one thin piece of wood they use from the factory! Don't see that holding up over the years.Won't be long till that starts to warp. Yeah I think it would be worth it to lose what? maybe 6 inches of height? to have a flat loading and space underneath the floor. The trick is to not make it too heavy. Try to keep it under 10 lbs. Going to sketch me a few ideas. I'll let ya know, and if someone else has some ideas I'd be interested. Maybe we should start a false floor thread? :D

Heh, did an internet search and found that it is easy to get the trunk material. It's called .... well trunk liner material. Several places have it. I believe it would be the Charcoal color. One such place that sells it..

http://www.midwestfabrics.com/index.php?l=product_list&c=25

1 - 20 of 23 Posts