Fiesta Faction banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just joined and thought I'd share all the mechanical trouble our Fiesta has given, for insight and reference for you owners.

First of course was the 6 speed auto issues, Ford took care of it all. However I noticed what REALLY muffed up the transmission was a trip to Big Bear/ Snow Summit which is at an altitude of 9,000ft. My Ford Explorer has made that trip numerous times and never had tranny problem related to mountain ascends. One trip, and the transmission was out of whack and spent about two weeks in the service department. It has been fine ever since Ford released that recall about servicing them up to 100k miles. I think they just completely rebuilt the transmission, honestly I don't know.

Next, a problem with the coolant reservoir, which wouldn't seal and eventually led to the car running warm/hot. Since these cars don't have a temperature gauge, we were completely unaware it was getting warm or maybe HOT until we spotted Coolant BOILING and steam rolling from under the car after a long drive. Took it to Ford, they changed out the water pump and serpentine belt. Turns out, the water pump was fine actually. Anyways, a couple months after we thought Ford fixed the problem, we noticed the coolant would still disappear from the reservoir still. I knew what was happening from this solid evidence... Eventually a check engine light came on, and I really feared what the code would read... Yep. Cylinder #4 misfiring. I knew coolant was getting in where it doesn't belong. Took it to a mechanic, didn't breath a word of what I thought it was to see if they could figure it out, and sure enough, got the call saying it was the Head or Head Gasket. $1,200 later that's finally dealt with. Moral of the story, I would suggest getting a new cap every couple years to make sure your gasket doesn't EVER leak. $15 can save you >>>$1,200.

Last thing, the cap-less gas tank inlet, the little feeler tab inside can be finicky, and sometimes leaks gas to the ground. (Just a little splash) Any ideas how to fix this?

Car has almost 90,000 miles. How long do these last? Since the car has depreciated to less than 50% of it's purchase price, I would like to make this thing last as long as possible. It's really discouraging seeing these for sale at 5-6,000 dollars when Kia Rios of the same year are worth more LOL.

I did spark plugs and wires for fun, it was super easy. The ignition coil is also super easy to remove, which I tested. Fuel injectors are a breeze to remove as well. Might clean those when it gets to 100,000 miles. Anything else to keep a Fiesta running in tip top shape?

·
Registered
12 Posts
I'd do the timing belt as preventive maintenance, it's good you have a new water pump so don't need to replace that one again. The manual says 150K miles but I'd not trust it. Maybe at 120 or 130K. I did the TB on my 1st Fiesta at 80K and I'm about to do the same on my 2nd Fiesta at 135K.

As a matter of fact I DID replace the coolant reservoir on the 1st Fiesta at about 75K miles. The 2nd one hasn't had any issues but I'm not sure if such reservoir had been replaced by the previous owner. All looks good, cap included.

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have only done preventive maintenance on my '12 SE but I do have the 5 speed.

I did the serpentine belt late, after 100k (long story) and it started to fail, but didn't entirely. Did the plugs at the same time.

Serp, timing, water pump at 150k. Oil change every 10k (haven't had an oil change indicator in about 50k).

Rear shocks around 120k, only failure I can think of. Replaced with Koni STR.T. Bought fronts too, but haven't done then yet. I'll do that soon ish.

I don't have a shop or garage to work in. But I do all my own work.

I use a Bluetooth adapter on the OBD to read things like water temperature, voltage, etc.

Why does coolant reservoir cap matter?
Pressurized

1 - 4 of 4 Posts