Fiesta Faction banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a ScanGauge II (an older one). It is an OBD-II reader that looks like this:

Manufacturer's web site: ScanGaugeII - Trip Computers + Digital Gauges + Scan Tool

I plugged it into my Fiesta and it works. The Fiesta's OBD-II port is near the hood release.

You do need to configure it initially (engine size = 1.6L, gasoline (instead of diesel-a or diesel-b), metric vs. imperial units, lighting options, etc.). You may need to calibrate its fuel consumption display over a few refuelings.

The displays that I tried (which is not all of them) are:

Speed: Shows exactly the same as what the speedometer in the dash shows. (This is not true for all cars, some of which show a higher speed on the speedometer than what the ECU knows and reports through the OBD-II port.)

RPM: Shows exactly the same as what the tachometer in the dash shows.

Coolant temperature: When fully warm, coolant temperature fluctuates between 190 F and 195 F.

MPG: Shows calculation of instantaneous fuel economy. May be inaccurate until calibrated over a few refuelings. Interestingly, the Fiesta does not completely shut off fuel injection when coasting or braking in gear. On cars which do completely shut off fuel injection when coasting or braking in gear, the ScanGauge reports 9999 MPG (and 0.0 gallons per hour if that is displayed) during that time. The Fiesta reports numbers like 145 MPG (and 0.2 to 0.4 gallons per hour) under such conditions.

Fuel gallons per hour: Presumably the same calibration needed as MPG.

Throttle position sensor: seems to never go below 9 or 10. Perhaps related to the MPG never going to 9999 when coasting in gear?

Volts: 14.0 volts for the brief time I had that on.

The ScanGauge can also read generic codes, so that you can know the code behind a check engine light.

The main issue is where the put it if you want to keep it in the car semi-permanently. On top of the steering column is good place in many cars, but it blocks view of the fuel gauge in the Fiesta.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
I have one too. It's great. The Fiesta does have fuel shut off. I see 9999 mpg all the time. (5 speed). My coolant temp is usally 180 to 185. My speedo is real bad. ScanGauge is 1 mph off at most. I need to calabrate it for better MPG. Still is close.

·
Registered
525 Posts
I mounted mine on the dash to the left of the steering wheel adjacent to the little triangle window. I had a roll of Velcro and I used it instead of what was shipped with the gauge. The Velcro doesn't like to stick to the plastic dash even after wiping it off with rubbing alcohol. I looped to cable around the steering column.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Update on UltraGauge

I went ahead and ordered it, and I am very pleased with it. Worked exactly as advertised out of the box, and was simple to configure just the way I wanted. Recommended.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
I have the ScanGauge2 in the Fiesta and just got the Ultra Gauge for my wifes minivan. The ScanGauge2 is way easier to use. It come with instructions. UltraGauge you have to go to the internet. 49 pages on the laptop. It does have a few more features, but it is harder to use. ScanGauge2 has 5 buttons on the front, Ultragauge has three and on the back. UltraGauge is cheaper, and has a rebate, but they do everything they can to make it hard. Everything is harder with the Ultragauge.

·
Registered
147 Posts

·
Registered
2,986 Posts
I looked at both and got the ultragauge because it has a nicer display and was $59 vs $169 for the scangaugeII.

·
Registered
12 Posts
i dont know if it would fit but i was thinking of buying one of these and mounting it some how in the little cubby in front of the shifter

·
Registered
947 Posts
It would be a great use of that otherwise useless cubbyhole, except for the very bad visibility. It should be up on the dash somewhere where it's easy to glance at.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Just throwing this out there, it's my understanding the dual clutch auto doesn't do fuel shutoff because even though the car decouples down hill, the engine stays revmatched to be ready for when you touch the accelerator and it clutches back in.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts