Fiesta Faction banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, first time poster. Bought my Fiesta Dec 2010. Went today for normal oil change and was told my Sepentine Belt was fraying, which it is. Car has 90k miles on it. Read some posts. Cant find the belt anywhere, even on the Ford Parts Website.. am i doing something wrong? Tried drive belt, serpentine belt etc... Why is this not available in 3rd party parts list either. Mine is a 4dr SES 1.6l standard with air conditioning.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Hi mouthy,

I don't think this is a known issue at present but I have a 2011 fiesta myself and have noticed the belt looks a more than little worn as well.

I have less than 90k miles on it as well and it looks like it wont last too long.

I will try to get some pictures as well and try to get some feedback of others with similar issue.

·
Registered
1,655 Posts

·
Registered
5,672 Posts
http://www.amazon.com/Goodyear-4060...=UTF8&qid=1412035446&sr=8-1&keywords=4060408S

Realize that this is a stretch belt, so you'll need a handy little tool to make it easier to install and not risk damaging it.........
http://www.amazon.com/GearWrench-36...r=8-3&keywords=stretch+belt+installation+tool

This is the motorcraft "kit" that includes the install tool........http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=JK6414A
So I am gonna guess no tensioner? No fuel filter, no "when will it end" lol!!
As always great find ME, and Amazon no less :eek:

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
So I am gonna guess no tensioner? No fuel filter, no "when will it end" lol!!
As always great find ME, and Amazon no less :eek:
A great number of manufacturers are going with stretch belts and ditching the tensioners. I applaud the move, personally. Removing a common point of failure is smart. My 99 neon didn't have a fuel filter either, so that's nothing new. No fuel filter, no fuel cap, no tensioner. It's a brave new world.

·
Registered
4,873 Posts
Right, the tensioners were a problem source.
If a belt can go 90K miles, that is a good thing.
No REPLACEBLE fuel filter. One less thing to be concerned about.

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
my belt was installed incorrectly from the factory, it had a noise like it was overtightened at idle. Belt only lasted 55K miles before it started to fray on its inside edge. I say the-hell with these self tension belts, so we have a 35$ belt tensioner give out after 10 years, sure beats the 70$ Costs of this "special" belt.

·
Super Moderator
1,297 Posts
The 1.6 does not have a spring type tensioner?!

·
Super Moderator
1,297 Posts
Yes, it is! I thought my browser had gone to the first page of this thread, but apparently it did not, so I missed the first half of this conversation.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Yet another issue I have ran into..... "F"ing Ford!!!! 100k and and my belt goes out, I buy the belt and low and behold I need a specialty tool to put it on, and the normal stretch fit tools won't work.... Last ford car ever for me. Nothing but issues with this thing.....

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
my belt was installed incorrectly from the factory, it had a noise like it was overtightened at idle. Belt only lasted 55K miles before it started to fray on its inside edge. I say the-hell with these self tension belts, so we have a 35$ belt tensioner give out after 10 years, sure beats the 70$ Costs of this "special" belt.
A replacement belt is $15..........the tool to install is $7.

·
Registered
6,019 Posts
100 000 miles is pretty good for an accessory belt. I used to have to change them every 6000 in my S10, alternators lasted 2 belts. Meh. In the scheme of things, didn't bug me.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Yet another issue I have ran into..... "F"ing Ford!!!! 100k and and my belt goes out, I buy the belt and low and behold I need a specialty tool to put it on, and the normal stretch fit tools won't work.... Last ford car ever for me. Nothing but issues with this thing.....
I'm with you..I am in the middle of changing my ac compressor and now I'm gettin ready to put the belt on...I wish it had a tensioner..bought the tool from autozone and I'm gonna see if it works...

·
Registered
114 Posts
ok, it wasn't that bad, I used the tool but it didnt exactly fit perfect but i was able to do it...you have to use the crank bolt to turn all the pulleys while putting on the belt...if i din't use the stretch tool (I tried a little bit), the belt will start tearing...but once you start turning the crank and feeding the belt onto it, you have to do it quickly to lessen any chance of tearing...

1 - 20 of 29 Posts