Fiesta Faction banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got my leather shift knob today but it came with very Ikea-like instructions which don't make it obvious how to remove the shifter surround and I don't want to chance breaking it. Anyone who's already done the install care to share how it went?

·
Registered
2,986 Posts
I did mine and realized that the bezel includes a part that covers the climate control knobs. it's not shown that way in the instructions.

·
Registered
3,428 Posts
another tip is to use a screwdriver and slowly (very gently) pry the trim away from the HVAC bezel. It comes out really easy with slight pressure from a long flat screwdriver. I have had my bezel out a few times and once I figured out how it comes out, it is really easy.

·
Registered
3,428 Posts
nope, the knobs stay intact. Check out my install pics: Fiesta Modifications - a set on Flickr

I have had the trim around the shifter off 3 times since these pics were taken. Always trying new things with the car, concerning the 3M wrap. The first attempt did not work out so well, so it has been redone since the pics.

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
nope, the knobs stay intact. Check out my install pics: Fiesta Modifications - a set on Flickr

I have had the trim around the shifter off 3 times since these pics were taken. Always trying new things with the car, concerning the 3M wrap. The first attempt did not work out so well, so it has been redone since the pics.
Have you had the upper bezel off? I still want to pull mine off and paint it.

·
Registered
3,428 Posts
The one around the radio? If so, I have not had that off. I have seen a number of Fiesta's in Europe that have had the bezel around the radio painted or wrapped. It can look really good if done right! :) The white "tuner" Fiesta that is on the Ford show tour has many of the interior bits painted white and it looks great.

·
Registered
3,428 Posts
the wrap looks much better now since I redid it.

I started by pulling up the trim around the base of the shifter near the Sync logo. The black trim (what is covered in film on mine) is heat staked to the textured trim peice. Don't pull on the black trim since it needs to come out with the larger textured part. Once the bezel is loose around the shifter, slowly start pulling it towards the back of the car. It should now be loose around the tray in front of the shifter. I then suggest taking a long, thin screwdriver and gently prying out the area between the dash and black HVAC trim. It took two spots on one side and just a single spot on the other side to remove the bezel around the HVAC controllers. The knobs all stay in the car. You will need to unhook the switches for the heated seats and ambiant lights if you have them.

To install, push the trim towards the front of the car, which will locate and secure the bezel assembly. After that is in place, start working at the tray and go around the HVAC area and press the trim into the dash. It will snap into place.

·
Registered
421 Posts
I managed to do mine by only half way removing the console bits, I left everything above the little cubby attached.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Wedding Anniversary Gift

So my hubby is so sweet. Don't have my car yet but today for our 12 anniversary my present was my new shift knob!! I can at least pretend to be driving now!

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Got my leather shift knob installed and much to my surprise I didn't like it all that much. It sits quite a bit higher than the stock knob which slows shifts down and it's pretty big. I decided to go back to the stock knob for the time being while I look at what other options there are.

·
Registered
3,428 Posts
Yep, the leather knob does stick up much higher. I think it is perfect for me since I am planning on going with a short throw shifter anyway. I don't like the knob to be too low, but I want the throws to be much shorter.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts