Fiesta Faction banner
1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2011 Racetech Ford Fiesta with 5-speed transmission. Previous owner install FRPP short throw shifter. When the vehicle is cold, it shifts very easily. After the car is warmed up, the shifter is difficult to move forward and backward. Side to side seems to be normal. Ford dealer lubricated the linkage on the transmission and it was fine for a couple of days. Anybody had a similar problem?

Curt Rosenstengel
2011 SES Fiesta, 3d Carbon side skirts, Ford racing exhaust, and then some :). Will be autocrossing with it next year.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Bad pilot bearing perhaps? Moving the shifter front to back is engaging the gears, side to side isn't. With the engine off, try moving the stick once everything is warmed up. If the stick moves normally with the engine off suspect the bearing.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sprayed some lubricant on the tranny linkage joints. It also looks like the circlip holding the front to back cable is missing. However, seems pretty difficult to just pull off the cable from the linkage pin. Something else I noticed, the front to back linkage point seems very solid, whereas the side to side linkage is fairly moveable. They appear to be two different styles of connection. I will continue to work on this issue and let the group know. It doesn't appear to be a TOB issue since the issue appears with or without the clutch pushed in (engine on or engine off).

Curt

2011 Racetech Fiesta
1977 Triumph Spitfire

·
Registered
5,672 Posts
Sprayed some lubricant on the tranny linkage joints. It also looks like the circlip holding the front to back cable is missing. However, seems pretty difficult to just pull off the cable from the linkage pin. Something else I noticed, the front to back linkage point seems very solid, whereas the side to side linkage is fairly moveable. They appear to be two different styles of connection. I will continue to work on this issue and let the group know. It doesn't appear to be a TOB issue since the issue appears with or without the clutch pushed in (engine on or engine off).

Curt

2011 Racetech Fiesta
1977 Triumph Spitfire
seems pretty difficult to just pull off the cable from the linkage pin

Yes, this can be a bi**h, you have to push in some clips on the side while you pull up
When you go to "pop off" the two cables, use two flatheads on each side and it will take some force, so don't be shy. The biggest confusion, the two cables that go in the round slots in the front of the shifter, they just don't pop out. You have to grasp the collar and pull towards you while also moving cable out of slot. Much better with two people and where mechanic gloves, when you get done without realizing the top of your hand will be sliced up, this is the hardest part of the job since you have to keep the collar pulled forward and it will keep slipping out of your hand, plus the notched they go on are slightly angled when you slide onto new shifter. Last, when you get done, check old shifter and make sure the little plastic bushing isn't stuck on it. It goes on the bottom of the shifter knob and when you screw it back on tucks into the boot. .

whereas the side to side linkage is fairly moveable.

This is normal, if I remember right one collar is black and one is white, but yea, one will move (rotate) side to side like really loose easy, enough that once that opped off when I went to hard shift into 2nd, that loose one is the actual one for gear changes, we "ol" timers here figured out to lightly tie strap that connector to the "ball" on rod so it won't pop off

circlip holding the front to back cable is missing.

Not sure what you mean here, did you install or came with car?? Is the whole top disc part missing or clip going into sides to hold on?? It sounds like with clip missing the linkage goes into a bind, hope this help and let us know if you need more info

NOTE: Here ya go, this should REALLY help

http://www.fordracingparts.com/download/instructionsheets/FordInstShtM-7210-FA.pdf

·
Registered
354 Posts
I had a bad pilot bearing in my truck once. It caused difficulty changing gears. The stick moved easily from side to side but was hard to push it fore or aft to engage a gear. It got bad enough after a while that I had to match speeds to shift with the clutch in.

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
I had a bad pilot bearing in my truck once. It caused difficulty changing gears. The stick moved easily from side to side but was hard to push it fore or aft to engage a gear. It got bad enough after a while that I had to match speeds to shift with the clutch in.
A bad pilot bearing will cause that issue, this issue is the actual feel of the shifter.

·
Registered
4,873 Posts
Still does not sound like a pilot bearing. I suppose, if it were really bad it might let the main shaft wobble enough to affect gear changing.

Then again, a bad bearing could cause the main shaft to spin when the clutch is released, causing hard shifting.

·
Registered
5,672 Posts
It is something with the clips, the key to ALL this is at the very beginning.."the previous owner", I think , and posted LONG post earlier, install was done wrong and or a clip was broken when removed incorrectly..dang Iceracer, you always seem to not know what I am talking about??? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,428 Posts
There aren't clips that are removed for the Ford Racing shifter install. The linkage is a press fit on a ball. A screwdriver under the linkage removes it from the ball and frees it from the shift lever. The install is to press the link end over the ball until it snaps into place. The clips in question are the ones located at the transmission used to adjust the cable length. The transmission attaching point isn't touched during the install on the 2011-current Fiesta using a short throw shifter base and lever. The 2014-2015 Fiesta ST short shifter keeps the stock base and lever and changes the linkage location at the gearbox. For that install, you may need to remove one of the clips on the cable and adjust the length to make sure the cables will allow for proper engagement of 6th gear.

Ford Racing Steeda Shifter Install 007 by Bryan Redeker BRGT350, on Flickr

The short lever has a single cable attached to a ball stud, and the other cable mounts to the cam lever coming off of the base. There might be a set of clips that retain the cable sleeve to the shifter base, but I doubt that is the case. I think the shifter base has an opening just large enough to press the cable sleeve into the base and the sleeve has bosses on either side of the retention groove to keep in place fore-aft.

·
Registered
5,672 Posts
"Clips" was my word for the "press fit on a ball" Something else no one is mentioning so I will be the idiot...what is a "RaceTech" Fiesta and he makes it a point of mentioning "5 speed"..is this something in thye mix as well?? With the word "Racr" what else was messed with on this car and exactly what is its pedigree???

1 - 20 of 72 Posts