I stand updated. I didn't say there was one, just that there must be one.
since this topic is unrelated to the original shifting problem, lets call the whole thing off.
Wasn't trying to argue or anything, just wanted to make sure accurate info was being posted is all.I never dreamed that mentioning a pilot bearing would cause so much trouble.
yeah, looking like that is going to be the best way. The hard part is doing it while everything is warmed up. With the boot/HVAC bezel pulled up out of the way, getting to the shifter cable attaching points will be easy. The transmission one will be harder, but maybe just pulling the air box out will be enough to get to it.Seems to me the thing to do is isolate the shifting components.
Disconnect the shifter, see if it moves freely. disconnect the cable from the transmission, see if it is free, next is the transmission.
Do this when the shifting becomes stiff.
That's just because it's cast iron. Nothing to be concerned about there. The pivots for the shifting mechanism are threaded into it. It's just a transfer mechanism/weight. I'd love to get the pretty mountune quick shift for the 5spd to replace it, but no one will ever see it anyway.Since the last time the problem occurred, I sprayed the linkage pivot points with WD-40 (over a month ago). The problem has not reoccurred. I did get a chance to take a picture of the linkage on front of the transmission. It concerns me that the main linkage piece is rust colored instead of grey like the rest of the parts around the underside of the vehicle.
I'm in for a brainstorm. I guess it will depend if they left enough material where we would need to move the pivot to. I'll have to see if I have a picture of a mountune and the factory one side by side on here.I was thinking of just drilling and tapping a new hole closer to the pivot to shorten things up.
You're right. It doesn't look like they move the side to side pivot at all and just lessen the spacing of the gears front to back. Hmmm this could make this mod much cheaper. Just need to see about reattaching the ball.Looks like it needs a piece of metal welded onto that tab where the cable attaches. Then move the pin into that tab.