Fiesta Faction banner
61 - 72 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Actually I noticed something like that on my 2011 Fiesta as well. I drove it a bit harder one day and noticed that it became significantly harder to shift but after letting it cool down there were no issues. Although I've taken it on longer drives and only notice it intermittently on the long drives.

·
Registered
8 Posts
HEy everyone. I am experience the same exact thing as the OP was. About 10-15 minutes of driving and it is very hard to shift. It gets so hard that I have trouble getting it out of gear, back to neutral.

I tried the Lubricant spray fix, but nothing changed. I used a rust cutting lube and sprayed A LOT of it all around the area and nothing changed at all. :(
Here are some images of the areas

https://photos.app.goo.gl/h7XP1OXSe8BzQV5G34
https://photos.app.goo.gl/5us8TKc8dRhIgppx23
https://photos.app.goo.gl/2evzKunZCnz8qFzG3

Interior
https://photos.app.goo.gl/ivtHNDnwRwsQ5gFP24
https://photos.app.goo.gl/RaQ6zC1RXjOiPc072

What do you all think?

·
Registered
8 Posts
I just went for a test drive and got the engine hot and made it super hard to shift (I hope I am not doing extra damage every time I do this...)
So I paid attention to the clutch to see if it was possible the master cylinder. It is now, Even when I could barely get it out of gear, as soon as I pressed the clutch it disengaged from the engine. It is just physically hard to move the shifter down

so then I parked it and popped off the shift cable. I was able to move that very easily. But then when I tried to move the Shifter block (not sure what that piece is called.) It was noticeably more difficult to move than when I did the same thing on a cold engine

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hey everyone. So I took it to a mechanic. And I want to know what you all think about his diagnosis.
He said the problem is the actual shifter assembly. The part that is in the cabin... He said it has nothing to do with the engine getting hot. It's from the friction of shifting. But his reasoning for this deduction are a little strange. And he talked around my question of, once the car got hot and hard to shift I popped off the shift cable from the tranny, and it moved without issue. The thing that was hard to move was the shift block (not sure if that's what it's called) the cast iron piece that goes into the tranny. Before I got the engine hot I pulled the shift camel off and tried moving it and it was noticably easier to move than after it got hot.
That's the main reason I disagree with the mechanics diagnosis issues that weekend I remove the shift cable from the shift Bock. That makes the actual shifter, in the cabin, completely disconnected from the tranny. It had 0 influence on the tranny, yet the **** block was very hard to move. So I don't know if I'm missing something and this mechanic is right on the money. I really really hope he's right and I'm wrong because the shifter assembly is $50 and super easy to install! Hahaha

·
Registered
162 Posts
I have had shifter related issues for the last couple years. The first problem that I noticed was that the shifter would squeak when shifting gears in cold weather. Last Spring, I started having the additional problem that the shifter would intermittently give a lot of resistance. As others have noted, this would typically get worse after several miles of highway driving. Some days it would be very difficult to shift, and other days it would give almost no resistance. One thing that would always cause the problem was if I did not drive the car for several days. For instance, I took a trip to Europe in May/June that lasted for about three weeks. When I picked up my car from the off-site parking facility after returning from Europe, it was very difficult to shift. I ended up having to drive through Newark rush hour traffic with a shifter that was almost impossible to shift. I assumed that the problems that I was having was either caused by the shifter or the shift cable assembly. I purchased both. Later in the summer, I replaced the shifter since it is much easier to replace than the shift cable assembly. This made no difference in shift effort and also did not fix the squeak in cold weather. As Fall approached, I replaced the shift cable assembly. This was a lot more difficult to replace. The cables ride under the heat shield for the exhaust, so you have to disassemble the exhaust to remove the heat shield to get to the cables. Getting the shift assembly bezel out was really tricky. My hands were too big to access it from inside the car. I ended up having to get my wife to help with this since her hands are much smaller than mine. After replacing the shift assembly, the cold weather squeak problem went away, but the intermittent problem with difficult shifting remained. Since this did not fix the problem, I assumed that the problem must be internal to the transmission. About three weeks ago, I changed the transmission fluid. The stiff shifting has mostly gone away since changing the fluid. However, the weather where I live in Upstate New York has also gotten quite a bit colder. Therefore, I'm not sure if the problem is really fixed. My car is currently sitting in the Albany airport. I fly back this Saturday. I'm interested to see how the car shifts when I pick it up. As I stated above, not driving the car for several days would also cause the problem with stiff shifting. This is the first time since changing the transmission fluid that I have let the car sit for several days. I'll give an update this weekend.

·
Registered
162 Posts
After picking up my car at the Albany airport, the shifter was a little stiff when I first drove out. After driving about 40 miles to my home, the shifter became noticeably stiffer, but not excessively stiff. The next day, the car shifted fine. Today, it was fine as I left work but was a little stiff once I reached home. Overall, the shifting is much better since the transmission fluid was changed but is not 100%. I'm interested to see how it shifts in warmer weather. However, it will be several months before it gets warm again here in the Albany, NY area.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #67 ·
Sorry, I should have posted this sooner. I was able to fix the problem!!

I took the linkage apart and I removed the linkage lever. I greased the lever spindle and all the moving joints. I have not had the problem since. Easy cheap fix. I think if I grease it every spring, I'll never have this issue.

Curt

·
Registered
804 Posts
Sorry, I should have posted this sooner. I was able to fix the problem!!

I took the linkage apart and I removed the linkage lever. I greased the lever spindle and all the moving joints. I have not had the problem since. Easy cheap fix. I think if I grease it every spring, I'll never have this issue.

Curt
Yea, it must be lubed regularly. I purchased an aftermarket, so much better!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
15 Posts
My 2011 started the hot shift problem after sitting dead at the Ford dealer waiting for a new PCM. I have no idea why sitting caused the issue but that is when it started, fix a long term nasty issue and replace with an annoying issue. I took the lever on the front of the gearbox off and tried lubing it, not a fix (note: the cables and in cabin shifter were totally easy to move). Took it apart again and reamed the plastic bushing with a fine sandpaper, lubed it with teflon, this helped for about 6 months and the issue returned. Funny as this car shifted so nice when new, the salesman said, "Its like slicing butter with a hot knife".
The fix was to buy a new shift lever and replace it. Hopefully it works well until the car needs to sit a month for another reason or the problem just returns in time.

·
Registered
1 Posts
After picking up my car at the Albany airport, the shifter was a little stiff when I first drove out. After driving about 40 miles to my home, the shifter became noticeably stiffer, but not excessively stiff. The next day, the car shifted fine. Today, it was fine as I left work but was a little stiff once I reached home. Overall, the shifting is much better since the transmission fluid was changed but is not 100%. I'm interested to see how it shifts in warmer weather. However, it will be several months before it gets warm again here in the Albany, NY area.
So I am having pretty much the same issue except it went like this:
Drove it home from work didn’t want to downshift easily.. next day drove it to work didnt downshift good and having issues shifting at all.. then next day driving it to work I took it out of gear to shift into 3rd cause someone was turning in front of me and couldn’t get it back into gear. Shut the car off for it into first but then when I started it clutch in it took off like the clutch was out. Left it for a couple days checked the clutch(brake fluid) fuild and it was low so I filled it and it work for my 30min drive home and then here it is day 2 of driving it again and I can’t get it in to hear while it’s running. Did u find out ur problem?

61 - 72 of 72 Posts