Fiesta Faction banner

561 - 580 of 613 Posts

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #561
Not sure if you’ve done any test braking from speed. The differing brake bias may overwhelm the ABS causing longer stopping distances than you previously had. You really need to get larger front discs now.
That project is in the works

The biasing hasn't changed all that much from the ST rears brakes I was running. The caliper itself stayed the same (this isn't a big brake kit or anything), there is just more surface area (250mm vs. 278mm) for heat dissipation and prolonged performance life while autocrossing. That and I am currently running OEM ST pads on the rear and the more aggressive Mountune RS-R pads on the front to tip the balance a little more back towards the front bite.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
654 Posts
I'm just catching up a bit and noticed you did the rear fog earlier this year. How was that? Any specific parts or instructions you needed? And did you need a ForScan to activate the function?

Also curious about your opinion on the Koni orange. I"m not planning to lower mine, so I think they'd work well to improve the handling a bit with the stock springs. I'm just a little turned off right now to the OEM options.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #563
I'm just catching up a bit and noticed you did the rear fog earlier this year. How was that? Any specific parts or instructions you needed? And did you need a ForScan to activate the function?

Also curious about your opinion on the Koni orange. I"m not planning to lower mine, so I think they'd work well to improve the handling a bit with the stock springs. I'm just a little turned off right now to the OEM options.
I've actually had the rear fogs installed for yeeeeears. Since 2013 or so when I was still living in Baltimore City. I installed those when I did the conversion to the European Spec rear bumper. So to answer your question, yes - there are quite a few specific parts you need to buy.

The US spec rear bumper only has the reflectors in it - they don't go all the way through the bumper and they are not the same shape as the Euro rear fogs. Not to mention the rear bumper cover itself is shaped differently to meet DOT crash standards. So you can't just replace the reflectors with the rear fogs.

I'm sure some custom LED solution could be arrived at - but I wanted to go full OEM.

I had a friend who was stationed in Germany help me buy and ship a Euro rear bumper cover to the States. In addition to that I purchased (from a parts supplier in the UK) the 3 brackets that hold the bumper cover on, the smaller Euro spec rear bumper bar, the rear diffuser (the black plastic bit in the lower middle), and a LHD and RHD rear fog light assembly with the appropriate plugs.

The install of the bumper itself was pretty straightforward once all the US spec rear had been stripped away. I had to drill out some pop rivets that held the original bumper brackets in place and use a hand rivet gun to put the new ones in. But everything else was just bolt on.

The rear fogs (in Europe) are a function on the headlight switch. But their headlight switch is completely different than ours and will not fit into the dash on the US cars. So I started by feeding the wires for the rear fogs up through rubber grommets in the trunk floor and then grounded them to body posts by the taillights. From there I ran a pair of power wires up the center console where I mounted a little rocker switch to turn them on. Power for the fogs comes from the 'always on' power port there.

Theoretically, if you have a pre-facelift model Fiesta without the front fogs - you can buy a switch for one of the newer Fiestas WITH front fogs and just tap that function for the rears after replacing your original switch.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Yikes. That got complicated, LOL!

That's something that I'd usually go OEM with, but that's from my VW days, when things were more plug-and-play and i never had to replace bumper skins to make it happen. If I had those kinds of resources, I would have taken advantage of it like you did. I really like what you've been doing with the car, so many small touches and details like that many people would overlook.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #565
Yikes. That got complicated, LOL!

That's something that I'd usually go OEM with, but that's from my VW days, when things were more plug-and-play and i never had to replace bumper skins to make it happen. If I had those kinds of resources, I would have taken advantage of it like you did. I really like what you've been doing with the car, so many small touches and details like that many people would overlook.
Lol. Yeah - I thought about throwing a "Too Long - Didn't Read" disclaimer at the beginning, lol.

Ford did the same thing with the Mk1 Focus as they did with they Mk7 Fiesta. It wasn't originally planned for US standards - so they had to alter many little bits to get it legal. For how similar the US and Euro Foci LOOKED - there was something ridiculous like an 80% parts difference between the two. The US spec Fiesta has an entirely different dash, center console, door panels, seats, front bumper, hood, lights, crash bars.... on and on and on.

They LOOK very similar to the layman. But to those of us trying to swap parts it can be a lite bit of a nightmare.

·
Registered
218 Posts
At least you got 4x108 PCD wheels. Here in Thailand we got the same body as the Euro car but with 4x100 PCD with the smaller Mazda 2 hub centre. Brake upgrades are very expensive as a result ?

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #567
At least you got 4x108 PCD wheels. Here in Thailand we got the same body as the Euro car but with 4x100 PCD with the smaller Mazda 2 hub centre. Brake upgrades are very expensive as a result ?
Really? That's oddly fascinating.... I wonder what Fords reasoning for that little regional change was?

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #570
Hmmmmm....

Something to prevent mud from flapping?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Not quite!

It's going to be a little corrosion prevention/ dress up idea I've had for a while. Going to try and 'black out' all visible Yellow Blaze in the wheel wells and engine bay.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #573
Still looking good as always!

Been meaning to ask, how'd you acquire the illuminated shift knob?
It's a piece that was sold through Ford Accessories for a few years when the Fiesta first came out in the US. But the manual Fiesta never really took off here the way it sold in Europe - so it was discontinued when (I assume) stock ran out.

Couple years back I got stupid lucky and found a parts sale listing where the guy had a BNIB illuminated knob sitting around. That's it - just happened to fall into it.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #575
I think you switched over to Koni oranges, is that right? If so, what are your impressions?
The rears have been done for about a month now - car is currently up in the air while I'm doing the fronts.

Impressions with just the rears done? I REALLY like how the car rotates around corners now. Like, zero roll, no sliding (even if I overcook things a little) it just wants to come around and do exactly whatever the front is doing.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #576
Current state of things. What's going in? New ST control arms, New ST hubs, knuckles and bearings, New end links, New axles, New axle seals, and the Koni orange front struts. Also completing the black out paint coat while the strut assembly is off.

·
Registered
37 Posts
It's a piece that was sold through Ford Accessories for a few years when the Fiesta first came out in the US. But the manual Fiesta never really took off here the way it sold in Europe - so it was discontinued when (I assume) stock ran out.

Couple years back I got stupid lucky and found a parts sale listing where the guy had a BNIB illuminated knob sitting around. That's it - just happened to fall into it.

Damn, ill have to be on the look out for it!

When you've been riding around on the full Koni oranges for a while let us know! Im definitely interested in them.

561 - 580 of 613 Posts