Fiesta Faction banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
6,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't do a lot of driving in the snow each winter, but I tend to make 2-4 trips over a snowy mountain pass. I currently have 14" studded tired with a spare set of plain wheels. I would like to get a set of studs for the Fiesta this winter, but want to know if there's any problems with studs on them? I know the wheel wells are a little tight.

·
Registered
380 Posts
I don't do a lot of driving in the snow each winter, but I tend to make 2-4 trips over a snowy mountain pass. I currently have 14" studded tired with a spare set of plain wheels. I would like to get a set of studs for the Fiesta this winter, but want to know if there's any problems with studs on them? I know the wheel wells are a little tight.
I do not see why you would have any issue using a size 175/70R14 or even a 185. The Nokian happakalitta 5 is a very good studded tire. I like mine ALOT.

·
Registered
101 Posts
As long as you get the same size of tire, you will be fine. The Fiesta has metric ton of space on the stock suspension.

I really don't see the need for studded tires for a few uses each season though.

-spatakula

·
Registered
6,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you guys for the reassurances!

I really don't see the need for studded tires for a few uses each season though.
I am apparently terrible with applying chains as I've lost a chain of two different sets; I d make sure to follow the instructions to the letter. Also, we have issues with black ice here, so having extra traction ad hoc in the winter is just safer.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I've never had to use them, so I don't know much about studs, but there was a thread about using chains on the Fiesta. Apparently the owner's manual says to never do it, so I don't know if studs would also be prohibited. Not sure if they're sufficiently different for it to not matter, but I wanted to pass along the info.

·
Registered
343 Posts
I've never had to use them, so I don't know much about studs, but there was a thread about using chains on the Fiesta. Apparently the owner's manual says to never do it, so I don't know if studs would also be prohibited. Not sure if they're sufficiently different for it to not matter, but I wanted to pass along the info.
from page 219 of 1st printing:

Code:
SNOW TIRES AND CHAINS
WARNING: Snow tires must be the same size, load index, speed
rating as those originally provided by Ford. Use of any tire or
wheel not recommended by Ford can affect the safety and
performance of your vehicle, which could result in an increased risk of
loss of vehicle control, vehicle rollover, personal injury and death.
Additionally, the use of non-recommended tires and wheels could
cause steering, suspension, axle or transfer case/power transfer unit
failure.

The original equipment tires on your vehicle have an all-weather tread
design to provide traction, handling and braking performance in
year-round driving. You may install snow tires for improved traction
when driving in areas with sustained periods of snow or icy driving
conditions.

If you choose to install snow tires on your vehicle, they must be the
same size, construction, and load range as the original tires listed on the
tire placard, and they must be installed on all four wheels. Mixing tires of
different size or construction on your vehicle can adversely affect your
vehicle’s handling and braking, and may lead to loss of vehicle control.

WARNING: Do not use snow chains or cables on this vehicle as
they may cause damage to your vehicle which may lead to loss
of vehicle control.
it doesn't mention studded snow tires

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
The use of studded tires (and chains) are usually mandated or prohibited by law. You need to first check whether studded tires or chains are allowed. A good tire shop should be able to advise if they are necessary, as well as suggest a good brand.

That being said, the typical thinking in applying any sort of winter tires is to go with the base (usually smallest) size tire offered on your car. Make sure that all four tires have the same level of traction.

·
Registered
508 Posts
I think because most people only buy snow tires every 5-10 years they don't always realize when technology has changed. Nowadays the best snow tires are studless and with a few exceptions any snow tire that accepts studs is old technology. Give the folks at the Tire Rack a call, explain what you want the tires for and follow their advice. Personally I'm going to go with a good high-performance all season tire (Continental Extreme Contact DWS) and skip full-time snows but there are plenty of good choices out there for those that need a full-time snow tire.

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Thank you guys for the reassurances!

I am apparently terrible with applying chains as I've lost a chain of two different sets; I d make sure to follow the instructions to the letter. Also, we have issues with black ice here, so having extra traction ad hoc in the winter is just safer.
You never mentioned where you were located, I'm assuming near a mountain range in which case studs would make sense and may be a legal requirement.

Here in Minnesota studs are illegal but good dedicated snow/ice tires are plenty for our terrain.

·
Registered
6,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
OEM SES Wheels?

You never mentioned where you were located, I'm assuming near a mountain range in which case studs would make sense and may be a legal requirement.

Here in Minnesota studs are illegal but good dedicated snow/ice tires are plenty for our terrain.
I am in Oregon and studs are permitted from November to April. We have a lot of rain and it sits at or below freezing often enough in the dark hours of the day that black ice is a serious issue. The salesman yesterday suggested I try snow tires instead of studs this year, which I am considering.

Another question, anyone know how much a factory wheel costs? I'd want two for the front wheels.

·
Registered
343 Posts
I am in Oregon and studs are permitted from November to April. We have a lot of rain and it sits at or below freezing often enough in the dark hours of the day that black ice is a serious issue. The salesman yesterday suggested I try snow tires instead of studs this year, which I am considering.

Another question, anyone know how much a factory wheel costs? I'd want two for the front wheels.
It depends on which one you want, here's what the msrp is:

15" steel: $137 each
15" painted (202/203 - maybe sfe?): $286 each
16" painted (SES): $316 each

you also need TPMS

TPMS is around $70 each (one of the sponsors for this site will charge you a little over $30) and you have to have it calibrated by your dealer (i have no clue how much that would cost)

·
Registered
6,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
SES is what I have... I want to be able to just switch the wheels at season change like I do presently. A local tire business does this for free... Calibrating sensors wouldn't be their thing.

·
Registered
343 Posts
SES is what I have... I want to be able to just switch the wheels at season change like I do presently. A local tire business does this for free... Calibrating sensors wouldn't be their thing.
if you don't mind the wheels not being OEM, i would just get some cheap ones from tirerack - afterall they're only going to be on your car when weather is bad?

·
Registered
6,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
if you don't mind the wheels not being OEM, i would just get some cheap ones from tirerack - afterall they're only going to be on your car when weather is bad?
I want them to match; maybe craigslist or ebay. November to April we get rain mostly, so people can still see the wheels.

·
Registered
343 Posts

·
Registered
6,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Minnasota to Oregon shipping might make up for savings. Will check though!

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
If you're planning to run any sort of winter tires, the thinking is to get a FULL set (i.e. 4 tires). This is more important if you're running a winter tire with an ice compound. The thinking is that two of the tires (winters) will end up having more traction than the other two (all-seasons). Although there is Advance Trac ESC in the car, it will have fewer variables to consider if you ever get into a bad situation.

The up-front cost can be high (4 tires plus 4 rims plus 4 TPMS sensors), and now you need to store 4 wheels. But think of it this way: You're spreading tire wear over two sets of tires. If they use road salt in your area, you can get those "winter" rims all messed up and leave your awesome ones for the warmer months. My steel rims have become corroded on the edges, and I had hopped one curb with a steel rim. The cost of replacing the steel rim was minor versus having to replace a 16-inch OEM rim from Ford. If you have to get rid of the car, then the added wheels become an asset (either you can sell them with the car, or sell them on eBay or here to another Fiesta owner).

Considering the bolt pattern is the same as the Focus, you could get away with finding used 15-inch Focus rims (maybe possibly Ford Contour/Mercury Mystique/Mercury Cougar) rims). Some tire shops may offer aftermarket steel rims or possibly aftermarket rims that will fit.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts