Fiesta Faction banner

1 - 20 of 586 Posts

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not to be too negative but I thought it would be interesting to see what problems folks have and talk about solutions. For example personally I don't like the fact that it appears there is no way to dim the multi-function display at night so I'm going to scheme to come up with a way to cut down a laptop glare shield to fit it. Likewise I'd like to be able to dim the ambiant lighting which is too bright at night for me in any color besides red (which still looks good though). Any other things people would like to see changed? Perhaps someone at Ford reading the forums will pick up on it and incorporate the idea later in the model year.

·
Registered
6,416 Posts
Tiny but better.

The middle cup holders. They're weird and small, meant for energy drinks I guess (yuck); I'd prefer the cup holders from the Honda Civic, which are bigger and deeper. Cup holders with inserts for sizing to your specific cup(s) would be good. I don't know if any manufacturers do something like this. Minor issue.

My boyfriend complained that the passenger leg space isn't very wide and he didn't like the door cup holder. I also a leery about them, but haven't tested them.

An inch or two more leg space in the backseat would have been ideal.

The car is overall tiny feeling on the inside, but that is expected and sort of a null factor really.

I decided on the Fiesta between it and the Honda Civic. The interior space of the Civic was nicely designed and layed out, but that was the only way it won over the Fiesta for me. The Fiesta has a much quiet cabin, smoother acceleration, nicer handling and driving experience, sleeker design, and many other winning factors. The car is wonderful and besides the minor issues mentioned above, caused by the compact design and thus are unavoidable, is hard to find fault in.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Let me preface this list by saying I am writing this out of love, like expressing a wish that a lover would send daisies instead of lilies, and that all of these are fairly small things that aren't hurting my enjoyment of the car:

When I'm in stop and go traffic and moving under 5 mph (literally), the car kind of struggles to find a gear, even though it's automatic. It's always shuddering like a manual would if I released the clutch too soon. Anything over 5 mph and the car figures it out.

Related: I wish it would coast on its own when I release the brake, like my Dad's Taurus did, but it just stays put.

I agree about the center cupholders - they can't actually hold anything useful. Also, none of my water bottles are narrow enough to fit in the door.

I also wish the whole center console had a cover, so my dog could step on it when he jumps into the backseat and so I could leave my change and iPod in there without attracting thieves. I'm going to have to make one myself with stuff I get from a craft store because I hate it when my dog is unhappy.

I don't love SYNC and at this point I don't think I'd get it if I could do it all over again. She often can't understand me, even with commonly repeated instructions like "Dial", she always gets something wrong when I speak the numbers I'm trying to dial out loud, and it's not intuitive enough for me to learn, even though I've read that chapter in the manual twice and come up with my own list of cheats. If I had a phone that could sync its Phonebook with it, maybe i'd like it more. I'll get a more compatible phone next month, so maybe I'll like Sync more then. As it is, it is far more distracting than talking on the phone would be, because i have to correct her constantly and check the multi-function display to make sure she's understanding the numbers correctly. If I rear-end someone in this car, SYNC will be to blame, I guarantee it.

AlanBDahl - I wish I had your problem. The Ambient lighting is almost too dim to be worth it. Maybe I should play with the dimmer switch or something, because I can't see enough of it, even when it's dark. It's another feature I thought I wouldn't be able to live without that I'm not loving very much. ETA: I probably just live in too-urban an area and there's always too many street lights shining into my car at night.

·
Registered
554 Posts
It would be nice if the front passenger window also had one touch up and down, like the driver's window.

When the interior is full of warm air after being parked during a warm day, opening the windows on both sides is usually the quickest way to cool down the interior initially, due to air blowing through the car (whether or not you are using the air conditioning). And it is often nice to do low speed driving with both front windows open.

·
Registered
3,428 Posts
The number 1 thing that I hate is the gear ratios! The spacing from 2nd to 3rd is too big, and 5th doesn't drop the revs enough. In order to use 3rd, I need to shift from second over 4500 RPM to keep it in the power band.

That leads into the 2nd thing I dislike, which is the engine calibration. The car lacks throttle response, mid range power is much less than the EU Fiesta (which with the gear ratios causes all sorts of problems), and I think the tuning is causing some sort of an issue with rev matching under braking. I am guessing it is that aggressive fuel cut off, or something that is causing a big delay in bringing up the revs while downshifting. When I am braking and blip the throttle, if the RPM's are low, the engine seems to have a long delay before it revs. This is the most apparent going from 3rd to 2nd, which requires a low RPM in 3rd, high RPM rev match while downshifting. Around 2k RPM in 3rd, the throttle input seems to be delayed so my downshifts are always jerky. At very high RPM's, it seems to rev match much easier. Something is going on with the tuning that causes all of these issues. The "fun to drive" part I loved with the EU car is greatly reduced with the US Fiesta.

The lack of volume control on the steering wheel is silly, since I adjust volume way more than I talk on the phone.

I am slowly getting used to the US front bumper, which I strongly disliked at first, but is getting better.

The door cup holders stick out pretty far, and people seem to hit them with their shoes. I have to keep rubbing the marks off the door, but that is minor.

My hope is that with a complete reflash of the PCM, and some bolt on performance modifications, I can mask the poor ratio's and tuning of the Fiesta. The car seems way too centered on MPG, and that really takes away the fun. The EU Fiesta had outstanding MPG, and was a blast to drive. The US one gets slightly better mileage, but really suffers in performance.

·
Registered
522 Posts
I need 2 more inches of rear seating and it'd be great. The intelligent access thing, I hate that I can't unlock all the doors from the driver's button. I would like another 20hp or so, but that's just nitpicking. I chuckle a little knowing that my motorcycle makes more power than the Fiesta.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
It needs four more inches of leg room in the back seat. I'd give up some trunk space for it. The whole center console is poor. Not much to store your cell phone, sunglasses and other items. The SYNC is too hard to use. I'm driving a car. I should not need to look at little flush buttons to use it. In winter with gloves on it will be impossible. Just give me a normal radio like my wifes minivan. And add some storage. It needs an armrest from the factory. And please no spam from Zetaproducts. I'm sick of it already. The problem with aftermarket armrest, the console wasn't designed for it, so you lose cup holders. Also the cupholders in the door map pockets are worthtless. Also, a temp gauge and a speedo that is accurate. My dinosaur Corvair speedo is more accurate, it isn't very good.

And of course the worst part is the online Fiesta Movement VIP treatment and email updates and priority handling. And then we hear Ford people in the news say how wonderful the program was.

This was kind a hard. The list of things that are really good is much longer. It outclasses my old Toyota, and the Toyota is really in the class above the Fiesta.

·
Registered
119 Posts
The only bad things I have found are that:
1. In the sedan the opening between the trunk and rear passenger area is bit narrow
2. The engine is a bit loud during initial acceleration.
3. There are no physical manual door locks
4. The initial acceleration from a full stop is slow (at least on the automatic) but, this might be the inherent nature of the dual clutch transmission
5. Those arrow buttons on the dash are hard to get at with that giant OK button sticking out (they should have made the thing into some sort of joystick)

but, most of these problems aren't big issues except for the first one

·
Registered
3,428 Posts
I need 2 more inches of rear seating and it'd be great. The intelligent access thing, I hate that I can't unlock all the doors from the driver's button. I would like another 20hp or so, but that's just nitpicking. I chuckle a little knowing that my motorcycle makes more power than the Fiesta.
You can program the key fob/car so that it unlocks all the doors with one push of the button. I did it to mine. Its just a matter of holding down a few buttons, wait a few seconds, the lights flash to tell you its done, and you are all set! :)

·
Registered
554 Posts
The car seems way too centered on MPG, and that really takes away the fun.
I guess that depends on your perspective. If you have a motorcycle that has more power than your car, you might have a different view on that than I do (note: AutoWeek seems to have the same viewpoint as you do in its review). My Fiesta is the most powerful and fastest car that I have owned, and I do not find the (manual) gear ratios and engine tuning to be objectionable in my (mostly commute) driving.

But we'll probably agree that a 6-speed manual would help both for sporty driving and highway fuel economy.

·
Registered
3,428 Posts
yep, a 6-speed manual is very much needed. The issues are mostly related to spending a year with one Fiesta that was tuned for my kind of driving, and then buying one that is tuned for MPG. I miss the one tuned for fun. Without driving the EU Fiesta for a year, I probably would not noticed the big oops with the gearing or the tuning. Some of the other car-centered agents noticed the same thing when they drove the US Fiesta. It just feels way under powered, and its from the gearing and tuning. Even with the stock wheels, the car did not feel the same as the EU Fiesta. I know the larger wheels will cause some loss in acceleration, but it felt about the same with the stock 16" wheels.

·
Registered
949 Posts
5. Those arrow buttons on the dash are hard to get at with that giant OK button sticking out (they should have made the thing into some sort of joystick)
I could be so wrong, because I don't have a Fiesta, but I thought the OK button is a joystick?! Thought I saw a video with this same issue and then read that the reviewer was uninformed.

~edit~
There ya go:
We were initially fooled by the knoblike controller below the screen, attempting to twist it to scroll down a list of artists. But this controller is actually a joystick, requiring us to push it down to scroll down a list.
http://reviews.cnet.com/sedan/2011-ford-fiesta/4505-10865_7-33995890.html?tag=mncol;txt#reviewPage1 to see the reviewer fiddle with the little arrows @ 3:30 in the video ;)

·
Registered
522 Posts
Does the Fiesta need 6 gears? I don't think so, it'll just add to costs, Ford did what they were supposed to do, make an economical gearbox. You guys forget that b segment cars no matter how you look at it aren't supposed to be speed demons. A Miata should've been your car if you wanted a semipractical Road warrior.

·
Registered
343 Posts
I could be so wrong, because I don't have a Fiesta, but I thought the OK button is a joystick?! Thought I saw a video with this same issue and then read that the reviewer was uninformed.

~edit~
There ya go:

2011 Ford Fiesta Sedan reviews - CNET Reviews to see the reviewer fiddle with the little arrows @ 3:30 in the video ;)
that review is incorrect... it's neither a knob or joystick - it looks a lot like a joystick but it's more like a dpad that looks like a joystick.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Does the Fiesta need 6 gears? I don't think so, it'll just add to costs, Ford did what they were supposed to do, make an economical gearbox. You guys forget that b segment cars no matter how you look at it aren't supposed to be speed demons. A Miata should've been your car if you wanted a semipractical Road warrior.
It's actually pretty demonically speedy, it's just there's some herking and jerking that probably doesn't have to be as bad as it is. I think most of the people in this thread (at least BRGT350 and I) are talking about the gear transitions, not so much the overall speed.

·
Registered
119 Posts
that review is incorrect... it's neither a knob or joystick - it looks a lot like a joystick but it's more like a dpad that looks like a joystick.
Upon closer inspection and additional tries you can kinda use it as if it were a joystick by gripping the nobby part and rocking if to the left, right, up or down

·
Registered
6,416 Posts
I agree with these sentiments. The Fiesta is quite sporty, but it is marketed as and competing as a MPG winner.

·
Registered
2,986 Posts
well... the non-synchronized reverse gear is a bit disconcerting when it goes "crunch" because you didn't press the clutch pedal to the floor.

·
Registered
413 Posts
The only thing I'm bothered by is the lack of DRLs. Still think it would look great if the LEDs were DRLs.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I came from driving a 2006 6 cyl Mustang...Fiesta appears to shift gears weirdly...Also sometimes it takes a couple of seconds for the gear to kick in when I am trying to get it to suddenly accelerate. Sync does pretty well for me....getting used to the cupholders. The compartment in front of the gear shifter (automatic) is really shallow and doesn't hold much. It feels much roomier than my Mustang....

1 - 20 of 586 Posts