Fiesta Faction banner
21 - 40 of 60 Posts

· Registered
232 Posts
wow, awesome, thankyou. Now all I need is input on Wire gauge...
What kind of power per channel? 16 gauge is normally more than sufficient.

If you are using an external amp with over 100w per channel (like to high-end components) or they have low ohm loads (like 2 or even 1) then it may not be bad to step up to 14 gauge but I used to go with 16 gauge 100% of the time on basic speaker installs from an amp.

As for sub/amp combos, I can give advice if you tell me what you are running (amp power/ohms and sub combination/ohms).

On power wires, I went with 4ga on my Basslink. 8ga's limit on power is about 200-250w at 10 feet or so. I always up the ground size to one above the power wire size as well - just to make sure it's not a bottleneck.

· Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
just using the factory head unit, the volume it puts out right now with the factory speakers is fine, and i would think the infinitys would be more efficient....Ill get someone to insatll the bass link, but replacing the speakers isnt a big deal...actually probably be fun...

· Registered
833 Posts
I was thinking of seeing how the sound level is from the head unit and then adding a amp later. I was reading a thing on the basslink II that says it can power compents. I would like to get a nice infinity amp(nice blue leds) tho.

· Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
the bass link is self powered, the factory unit is 80 watts per channel ( probably padded somewhat ) I dont think a seperate amp would make that much difference aside from possibly less overall distortion, and one would have to crank the LOUD knob beyond my tolrence level to start such clipping distortion.

· Registered
833 Posts
this is the part for the basslink II I was talking about

BASSLINK 4SC

Multichannel Amplifier Expansion Module for BassLink II

• The BassLink 4sc is a 50W x 4 power amplifier that slots loads directly into the BassLink II. Coupled with the BassLink II, the 4sc will deliver real power to your front speakers and rear speakers.

• The BassLink 4sc incorporates an Infinity-developed phantom center channel. This allows you to dial in the imaging of your car audio system. A wired control allows you to change the phantom center channel image mode.

Powerful speakers like the kappas that are under powered do not sound as crisp or clean even at lower levels

· Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Im not gonna go too crazy...it is just the car...however, when it comes to the home system its no holds barred...google Rogue Audio and their Zeus amp....then youll see someone gone crazy....she drives Magneplanars......

· Registered
232 Posts
the bass link is self powered, the factory unit is 80 watts per channel ( probably padded somewhat ) I dont think a seperate amp would make that much difference aside from possibly less overall distortion, and one would have to crank the LOUD knob beyond my tolrence level to start such clipping distortion.
80W would probably be max unless there is an external amp somewhere in the system. RMS is likely closer to around 30W or so.

Either way, it's louder than I need lol.

· Registered
170 Posts
Im not gonna go too crazy...it is just the car...however, when it comes to the home system its no holds barred...google Rogue Audio and their Zeus amp....then youll see someone gone crazy....she drives Magneplanars......
Nice. I went for Denon 2801ci driving PSB 4t's and PSB 2b rears.
I don't plan on bi-amping the system. I also have a 1971 Pioneer direct drive turntable. PL-518.

· Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
ahhh, vinyl...mice. And PSB speakers are a well kept secret, I dont think Paul Barton has designed anything except excellent.

· Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
small world, i bought my Magnepans from a gentleman that used to work there called Gary. I also bought some Krell gear there....

· Registered
170 Posts
awesome. If you ever hit up Kevin who owns the place, tell him Ray from Indiana sent you.
I got my PSB's from Kevin when I lived in Calif.
I moved here a little over 4 years ago.

· Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
bought all my tweeky Tubes from Upscale as well..........buying tube gear is CRAZY obsessive, i have 100s of the "glass bottles".......

· Registered
170 Posts
Don't want to get too off topic, but I know that Kevin has been all over the world buying tubes. I never got into that end of it, but I do wish a had a nitty gritty and a good table.
I do have a pro 8 cartridge on the Pioneer though. Dark side of the Moon never sounded so good.

21 - 40 of 60 Posts