Fiesta Faction banner

1 - 20 of 229 Posts

·
Registered
882 Posts
This should be a sticky. With all the posts re "problems" with the PS tranny, I think that many would be relieved to see that their PS is behaving as designed.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Yep, it acts like that after I had a TSB applied last summer (?) It answered my questions after a couple of minutes of sqawking beforehand.

·
Registered
554 Posts
This should be a sticky. With all the posts re "problems" with the PS tranny, I think that many would be relieved to see that their PS is behaving as designed.
Perhaps it may have to do with the fact that manual drivers are typically conscious that there is a minimum speed that one can drive smoothly (i.e. whatever speed the car moves at idle with first gear fully engaged). Automatic drivers may not realize that the PowerShift has the same limitation, since torque converter automatics stay smooth at lower speeds using torque converter slippage. So, while parking, an automatic driver may try to drive below the minimum speed and encounter the roughness.

·
Registered
882 Posts
Perhaps it may have to do with the fact that manual drivers are typically conscious that there is a minimum speed that one can drive smoothly (i.e. whatever speed the car moves at idle with first gear fully engaged). Automatic drivers may not realize that the PowerShift has the same limitation, since torque converter automatics stay smooth at lower speeds using torque converter slippage. So, while parking, an automatic driver may try to drive below the minimum speed and encounter the roughness.
I agree 100%. I believe that most of the concerns with the Powershift are the result of not understanding what it is and how it works.

Love my 5-speed; if I can't shift it, I won't drive it! :D

·
Registered
4,873 Posts
Before I bought my Fiesta , I did some online research on the car and particularly on the powershift. I was somewhat familiar with similar transmissions in various European cars.
Then my dealer let me drive one for an hour unaccompanied
I have been a manual transmission guy for many years. I intended to stay that way until I drove the PS.
I was intrigued . I have always been drawn to new inovations.
So after 13 months and 17.5 K miles, I am happy I made the switch.

·
Registered
64 Posts
it's fun

It really enjoyable to drive with this transmission, and it's gotten more responsive after 1000 miles.

Are those the SVT wheels on the silver car?

·
Registered
642 Posts
The u-tube video is everything I've already discovered. Time will tell how durable it ends up being; but, right now at almost 28,000 miles, I'm finding the PS to be rather robust. Interesting to note that the engineer did note that the harder you drive it, the more fun it will be to drive and I'm finding that exactly with my car. After driving many manuals and autos, the PS is definitely in a class by itself.

·
Registered
4,873 Posts
With close to 20K miles ,my PS is working quite smothly. It even creeps, unlike some other brands, so I have heard.
Maybe the hard driving I give it helped.

·
Registered
4,381 Posts
With close to 20K miles ,my PS is working quite smothly. It even creeps, unlike some other brands, so I have heard.
Maybe the hard driving I give it helped.
That's why for me its exactly like a true automatic.

·
Registered
910 Posts
At about 3K, I have noticed the shift sounds, if the radio is off. But its still faster shifting than I was with a manual. Have to watch chipping the tires from a standing start though.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I've got just over 10,000 miles on my Fiesta and whether it's the transmission or me or both, we've learned to be very, very smooth with the transmission shifts. I think a lot of it is how I use the accelorator.

And I will again comment, I think the accelorator is somewhat too sensitive. That characteristic when I first test drove the car a year ago nearly lost the sale with the sudden acceloration to high, and I think, noisy RPMs of the engine. The easier I am with the accelorator in normal driving, the smoother the transmission is. Time does seem to have made the transmission smoother when you tromp it.

Satisified here, as long as it stays reliable.

Jon

·
Registered
25 Posts
Yeah, I find if I treat the accelerator like a clutch then it works out a lot better for me. Instead of stomping on it from a complete standstill I can slowly push down on it until i feel it start to move and then I push down a little faster. I just hate when you're at a standstill on the freeway and are going from 0-5MPH over and over and over...

·
Registered
15 Posts
I was heading up a mountain to a friends house for New Years Eve celebrations. On the highway there's a left turn so I have to wait for the cars to go by leaving me a limited time to turn. So my time come and gas it, nothing happens except a slow deliberate turn and I had to mash the pedal to rev the sucker or I don't think I would have been typing this today.
Has anyone have a lag in acceleration in their PS equipped Fiestas?
Factors are: Weight in the car, I was pretty full with family and gear. It wasn't slick but cold. I was on a slope of about a degree or two.

·
Registered
43 Posts
If you're upshifting, you hit the gas pedal, the car needs to be told to upshift, then it has to rev to engage the clutch, etc.
It's an automatic manual... so with the automation, you cannot command an instant upshift or two like you could with a manual clutch and gear lever.
When I end up passing slow cars, I had to learn the "lag"--- I call it "thinking time" and time it. The car needs to understand you need an extra gear when your in D. In fact, I think it makes me a safer driver... If I go to time it, time it wrong, and another car starts to come around a corner, I still have time to let off and not pass. It's almost an "are you sure?" moment. :D

·
Registered
559 Posts
If I need to up shift, I'll put the clutch in and move the stick to the desired gear the old fashioned way.

1 - 20 of 229 Posts