Fiesta Faction banner

181 - 200 of 229 Posts

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
You are correct in that the problem wasn't in any way resolved in any of those years. They got the leaking seal worked out early last year and it now appears that as of the middle of last year, Ford may have solved the clutch issue by finding a new supplier of the clutch material itself. If you can get your car to fail the clutch slippage test, you can get the new clutches and it should hopefully solve your problem. My second set of clutches (from a couple years back) is getting progressively worse with the shuddering. Unfortunately it's not bad enough to fail the test and I'm now out of the "extended 100k" warranty. So the cost will be all on me when I need to replace them.

·
Registered
251 Posts
You are correct in that the problem wasn't in any way resolved in any of those years. They got the leaking seal worked out early last year and it now appears that as of the middle of last year, Ford may have solved the clutch issue by finding a new supplier of the clutch material itself. If you can get your car to fail the clutch slippage test, you can get the new clutches and it should hopefully solve your problem. My second set of clutches (from a couple years back) is getting progressively worse with the shuddering. Unfortunately it's not bad enough to fail the test and I'm now out of the "extended 100k" warranty. So the cost will be all on me when I need to replace them.
I would have no problem doing my own once that happens but the removal tool kit is over $2000 I believe. Re-learns are no big deal, I have access to a Ford VCM II with IDS. I think I spotted someone on here that was able to custom make a removal tool with 2x4s or something to that effect.

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
If you look at this subforum, you'll see the issue was not resolved in 12, or 13, or 14. My car is an excellent example of a continued shudder and grind, so much so my wife won't even ride in it anymore. The joke at the office (where everyone has ridden in it for lunch breaks ect) is that I'm losing my halfshafts. It sounds that bad, it feels that bad. A complete embarrassment. Dealer has the car again this morning, and yet another call back of "Everything's operating normally, we went ahead and recalibrated the TCM". So essentially it'll run well for about 100 miles and then act like crap again.

I bought a brand new car, and to have every single person that has ever ridden in it, from enthusiasts to people who couldn't care less as long as it has 4 tires, ask me what's wrong with it, and why it's making those metallic slapping sounds and those lurches, has completely turned me from Ford. Ford has completely abandoned me on any repairs.

I can say in another thread it was suggested I drive it hard and it won't do that. Well I did that, and it does minimize the noise (except at 45mph where most of my city driving is done because I can't make traffic speed up for me), and it also killed 3mpg. It also completely ruins the driving experience because I have to push hard, then come off completely, because traffic of course is just speeding away from a stoplight at a normal pace, not driving like an idiot that's running late.
I want to check on this, heymrdj. What's your current mileage?

Meagan

·
Registered
122 Posts
I want to check on this, heymrdj. What's your current mileage?

Meagan
I currently have 23.3K miles on it. We have worked together on it before, a regional person called me after revieweing the case and basically said vibration, shuddering, and grinding are normal and should be expected. Basically a verbatim of the piece of oficial paper from Ford the service department handed me that day when they gave me the car back. Right now it's running awesome, as it always does when it's been reset. It's quiet, barely any noises from it, and you can barely feel it shift. Big difference from the jolting shifts and loud racket it'll make trying to go 40mph in a few days.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I should be getting my 2011 Fiesta back today. It's in getting it's THIRD replacement clutch. Not quite 33,000 and onto my 4th clutch in not quite 5 years. Not to mention all the PCM/TCM "resets" in between those replacements. And my dealer service center seems to think this ok? In what world is it normal to make this many replacements of the same part to a car and not think there's a bigger problem?

Is my service center the problem here? The next closest dealer service center is about a half hour farther away from me, but if they made it so I didn't have to get this looked at once or twice a year that would be great.

Or do I just have a lemon of a car that eats clutches? I'm seriously doubting the reliability of Ford at this point, and the overall ability to solve those reliability problems. I can't say I'd ever recommend anyone get a Fiesta after my experience with mine. Loved it at first, but now I think I just want to get it fixed so I can get rid of the thing.

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
...Meagan, others on this forum - can you please help? I am not going to be able to make any progress with this or any other dealership without some intervention.

Much appreciated,
Marc
Hi Marc,

Have you picked up your Fiesta since your post? I'd love to hear a status update.

Meagan

·
Registered
3 Posts
I purchased a 2014 fiesta with 17k miles in January. So far it has been in the shop longer than I have owned it. 2 weeks for them to reprogram the TCM, replace a faulty seatbelt, and replace blown speakers. No loaner. Now the clutches have failed. They put me in a loaner to diagnose the problem and now want me to return the loaner and drive my car with no clutch while they wait for parts. I have refused to return the loaner until my car is fixed. I've escalted it all the way up to corporate and no one will help me or get back to me. Every car payment I have made has been when I do not have the car to drive. I'm getting really frustrated. 20 days in service now.

·
Registered
1 Posts
One thing I have found out about the PS tranny is that it also works best when you limit the number of drivers that you allow to drive the car--the car learns the driver. For example, I had a 2015 Fiesta SE that I purchased brand new in December 2014 and it drove just like a conventional automatic. I loved that car, but was in an accident in it in January (2016) which totaled it out. After getting everything settled with the insurance company and searching around, I found a similar car for sale at a rental car sales place with low miles on it and it drove like a bucking bronco--it shuddered a lot & on certain situations, felt like it was about to stall especially when taking off from a stop going up an incline. Being so in love with the Fiesta (and because the car was still under Ford's factory warranty), I bought it and took it straight to my local Ford dealer (Watson Quality Ford in Jackson, Mississippi) where they found that the TCM had never been reprogrammed under recall 15B22. After having the car's transmission reprogrammed, I've driven the car like I usually drive for a week and have had no issues. It drives like my old car and, besides the cheapo tires that the rental car sales place put on the car which I plan to have changed in the next few months, reminds me of the Fiesta that I lost.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello everybody,

I am a follower of this forum since I bought my used Fiesta in Aug 2015... After almost 9-10 months of back and forth with the dealer 5 resets/reprograms and one TCM changed Ford finally scheduled Clutch replacement for my 2012 Fiesta SES. I am curious which one is the latest revision, and if the latest revision actually fixes the problems for good. I can see the activity of this thread has stopped recently and I am hoping that is a sign that with the latest fixes and software reprogramming everything works fine now. Still I want an update so I know to ask the right questions when the part arrives.

My knowledge is that Revision F is the latest one and the brown seals are the latest ones. Is this true and is this fix for good? Anyone has experience with this? Also I want to know if when changing the clutch they HAVE to change the seals as well or no?

I do apologize in advance if this has been answered I think I tried my best searching the forum.

All answers will be MUCH appreciated!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Need a Reference for the Boston area

My daughter's Fiesta needs to have its clutch assessed and potentially changed. Anybody had positive experiences with dealers on this issue in the Boston area, hopefully around Woburn or Stoneham? The car was purchased in Indiana, so taking it back to the selling dealer is not practical.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a 2013 Fiesta SE and it too also has the shuddering clutch problem. In March 2015 I brought it to my dealer (East Court Ford) at 24,060 kms and they replaced the clutch assembly (BV6Z-7B546-F) and the clutch seal (EV6Z-7052-B) and that solved the issue.. for a little while.

By the summer time of 2015 the shudder re-appeared, and since I had an oil change due in October I decided to address it then. I bring it to the same dealer (29,255 kms) and they perform a 15B22 recall and they flashed the TCM. Shifts were smooth and no more shuddering.. for a little while.

I changed jobs so it was more convenient for me to drop it off at Dixie Ford in December 2015 as the transmission was shuddering again (42,116 kms). They perform TSB 15-0120 which was another PCM/TCM re-program. The shifts are smooth and no more shuddering.. for a little while.

It is now October 2016 (53,000 kms) and the shuddering is back and it's much worse now. I've emailed Dixie Ford about my transmission issue on October 23 and since then I have not received any response. I've even compiled a video for them to see/listen to what I've been having to deal with:

The pattern I am seeing that the shifts are smooth on a cold start, but after driving for 20-30 minutes and when the engine and transmission get up to operating the temperature the shuddering shifts return. I think my clutch seal is leaking which results in the clutch slipping as it tries to grab the next gear. I really enjoy driving this vehicle but the shuddering and jerkiness off the line is to the point where I can't even drive smoothly. I've tried doing the WOT launches but that doesn't seem to work. It's not just the shuddering but also the noise that comes along with it. It sounds like the car is going to shake it self apart and at times it sounds like a semi-automatic machine gun, which you can tell from the last clip in my video. The dashcam does not do the noise any justice as it comes out quite muffled, I can only imagine what my car sounds like from the outside if it's that noisy from inside the cabin.

I rented 3 other Fiestas over the last few months and drove them for a few days racking up over 200 kms in each one and none of them exhibited this issue. Are the clutches different in the 2015/16 models compared to 2013's?

Can someone at Ford help me out?

·
Super Moderator
1,269 Posts
I suggest you do more than simply emailing the dealer. Go there in person and talk with the service writer and have him drive your car. That is the only way to get them to acknowledge the issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm having the same issue on my 2013 after having the new "F" clutch and seal installed at 35000 miles. It was great for a while but it now is bucking and grinding at stop lights. I mostly drive the freeway but when it drops down to stop and go traffic people look over and point to my front end to try and warn me something is wrong. I have learned that if I place the transmission in low when I start off from a dead stop and then switch it back to drive around 2000 rpms it work a lot better. This makes me think it has to do with the TCM and not the clutches. As was stated mine drives fine after a cold soak over night but after driving for a while it starts to act up badly. Then on some days it doesn't act up at all and drives like a new car. Going to take it back to the dealer after it is acting up and see if they will go on a test drive to let them hear and feel the issue. They told me to just leave the car but unless it is warmed up they will not see the problem.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Whelp after 40800ish miles had to have the clutches replaced. Feels totally different now, in a good way though.

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
In case anyone is curious what it'll cost to have your clutches replaced out of warranty - $1800 give or take.

·
Super Moderator
1,269 Posts
That is outrageous. What is the breakdown of parts and labor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
Labor is the big hitter at $1017.74 (I'm guessing $140 hour or so?). Parts were $624.57 plus $27 in shop supplies and hazardous waste fees. Add tax of $42.94 and your at you're at $1712.25. Then add the original diagnostic time from a few weeks ago of $99.50 and you have a grand total of $1811.75. This is the 2nd time I've had the clutches replaced - first time was at around 40k miles when the shaft seal blew and puked oil all over them. 120k on the car now.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I received one of the first 2012 ford fiesta's out of my nearest Ford dealer. A few years back I received a letter in the mail in regards to getting the TCM or clutch replaced if the car was shimmying and shaking. That was me. The bad part is, I lost the letter. So I kept forgetting that I could get it replaced.

It got so bad late last year that when I got my rear door latches replaced I asked to have the clutch replaced also. The next day they never did it, instead opting to do a reset first. I nearly fainted in the show room with frustration. They ended up schmoozing me to keep me calm, and told me they didn't have any in stock anyway. I was like "OK whatever". 3 months later I called them again to get the clutch replaced, and they are telling me it will happen. So here we go. I couldn't bring it in earlier due to some family emergencies that too precedence. I've had the TCM reset nearly 3 or 4 times. So I know that doesn't really fix it. That seems to fix it for about 30 days or so, then starts shaking and rattling badly again.

My appt is next thursday (wednesday drop-off)

EDIT: The bad thing for me is, I've almost learned to live with it; i've gotten good at "feathering the gas" to get around the shimmying, shaking, and rattling.

·
Registered
4,187 Posts
The TCM bit is step one - supposedly to determine of further diagnosis is needed (ie., tech and laptop). Idea is if the issue resurfaces after reflash, then look closer at the tranny. If they have done several reflashes they are stalling. I have first-hand experience with this on my prior '12 - and only at 30K miles. Before they extended the warranty.

What should happen on the visit next ... YOU and tech take a run and let the tech drive to experience it. If it's as bad as you say they shouldn't have any problems feeling it. Then you wait as tech plugs laptop into the port (and once more reflashes TCM) then runs the car around same circuit as before. RPM diagnostics on laptop should show >750 RPM difference between engine and tranny input ... and this is clutch replacement time.

The not-in-stock issue is common. At the time I had the problem, the parts were available, but it was subbed out to a local transmission shop (great rep, too!). I had it back in 3 days along with some small added work that got done. Good luck!

·
Registered
23 Posts
What should happen on the visit next ... YOU and tech take a run and let the tech drive to experience it. If it's as bad as you say they shouldn't have any problems feeling it. Then you wait as tech plugs laptop into the port (and once more reflashes TCM) then runs the car around same circuit as before. RPM diagnostics on laptop should show >750 RPM difference between engine and tranny input ... and this is clutch replacement time.

The not-in-stock issue is common. At the time I had the problem, the parts were available, but it was subbed out to a local transmission shop (great rep, too!). I had it back in 3 days along with some small added work that got done. Good luck!
It is odd because I can go a day or two with it not happening, and then other days its as bad as ever. It occurs more often with heavier loads in the car and/or going up hills.

I will be quite displeased if they tell me they're not replacing it. They're giving me a loaner car, as I need to be at work, but if they run it around and they cannot reproduce it there will be a scene afterwards.

EDIT: my girlfriend just called me to tell me the check engine light came on. She also said its been shaking pretty bad for her too. Wonder if its related

181 - 200 of 229 Posts