Fiesta Faction banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, was getting a nasty, moldy smell in my car last fall... This spring, it was getting worse. So, while doing some minor maintenance, I pulled the trunk floor and found this...
White, black and red mold!
On a better note, I changed the plugs after 110K, but they looked like they were ready for another 100k

·
Registered
88 Posts
I have this issue too. It is a mega widespread issue that Ford will blame on the customer 100% of the time. Yet it is a design flaw that is present in every one of our Fiestas. I caught mine earlier than you apparently but I can be of help with troubleshooting and brainstorming fixes with you. Ford will not help you and if they do it will cost you an arm and a leg.

They charged me 550$ to change the two airflow vents on the rear bumper and that DIDNT EVEN SOLVE THE PROBLEM!!

Ok sorry for getting piped up there lol but this is a serious issue and made for a (so far) 2 year problem that persists to this day. I bought my car brand new in March '15 and it's been an issue since day 1. I just didn't know what the smell was coming from until I lifted my hatch floor like you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had my rear window replaced when I bought the car (dealer installed tint, they sliced the rear defrost elements) and was thinking they improperly sealed it...

·
Registered
88 Posts
I had my rear window replaced when I bought the car (dealer installed tint, they sliced the rear defrost elements) and was thinking they improperly sealed it...
Yeah, they replaced my hatch seal, caulked around it, caulked around the roof and hatch bungs/harnesses, tightened my hatch striker to the point that it was almost impossible to slam shut...and you guessed it, the problem stayed the same.

Rear "air flow vents" to aid in releasing air pressure, flap open when you close a door/trunk/hatch, also relieves cabin pressure when you turn on AC or heat. Any time there is cabin pressure, those vents are wide open, and happen to be right above your rear wheels behind the bumper cover. Water sprays directly off of the tire when you drive in water, and it enters the wide open "air flow vents" and into your boot. Pull your interior carpet and check for mould and wetness, I'm willing to bed its wet mostly in the rear passenger footwell, but likely as far as the front passenger footwell. That sound deadening and carpet is like a sponge, the water that was getting into my spare tire compartment was also following along the interior wheel well/shock mounting area, and right under your rear seats to the passenger carpet. I have a bunch of this documented with video and photos, I will share as I can dig them up.

These are the air flow vents in question. They fit into the area I taped and sealed in this photo:

I have a video with my interior torn out to show how these open to the atmosphere, allowing a big gaping hole to appear that lets the water in in my case.

·
Registered
469 Posts
I had this problem with my Fiesta. I caught it early because I'm in my trunk everyday with my tools and lumch bucket.
I found the problem and resolved it pretty quickly. I noticed water in my trunk and trunk mat was wet. I used a garden hose a found to be getting in on the right side of trunk.
I have the hatch and behind the tail light assembly are holes stamped into the frame of vehicle. Those holes in the frame are sealed by nothing more than piece of tape similar to duct tape. I found the tape was deteriorated and falling off allowing rainwater in. I used a piece of waterproof electrical mastic tape to cover the holes. They are holes about a 1" oval size. For curiosity I checked left side. Same thing, wonder it wasn't leaking. Repaired both sides.
You can fold the carpet liner of the trunk back and seal the holes from the inside also. I did this and sealed from both sides sealing the mastic together.
It was cheap and easy fix. The taillights are held in place by two torx screws and the base just snaps in.
This solved my problem and no other issues.

No need to caulk anything or tear anything else apart. The problem was not the roof rails.

·
Registered
182 Posts
.....I have the hatch and behind the tail light assembly are holes stamped into the frame of vehicle. Those holes in the frame are sealed by nothing more than piece of tape similar to duct tape. I found the tape was deteriorated and falling off allowing rainwater in....

Good to know. When I toss in some led lights I'll have to seal those up at the same time...

·
Registered
469 Posts
Looking at the pocs, looks like WuNGun has the same problem. I hear dealership blaming other things, forcing to pay for something else and none of it fixes the problem. WuNGun has the hatch. Probably same problem I had. Looking at his pics l, I can see where water trickled in the side where the frame is higher and it then pooled and ran down into wheel well. You see the discoloration and deposits left by the water on upper part of the body where it pooled before it ran down into the wheel well.
I'll be willing to bet if remove the two screws holding the taillight on you will find a half-asses piece of tape crumbling away covering the oval holes I mentioned earlier. The wheel well is sealed good and I can't see away water is getting from the wheel wells or bumper and into the vehicle. It's running off the roof, around the hatch frame, and trickling behind the taillight housing.
It's a fairly simple fix with some weatherproof tape or mastic or self adhesive rubber mat.
Look there first. Probably save you hundreds by not chasing your tail at the dealership.
Another clue that tells me water came in from above and from bumper or wheel well is that mold and mildew is on the top of the syrofoam piece covering the spare where water collected.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Looking at the pocs, looks like WuNGun has the same problem. I hear dealership blaming other things, forcing to pay for something else and none of it fixes the problem. WuNGun has the hatch. Probably same problem I had. Looking at his pics l, I can see where water trickled in the side where the frame is higher and it then pooled and ran down into wheel well. You see the discoloration and deposits left by the water on upper part of the body where it pooled before it ran down into the wheel well.
I'll be willing to bet if remove the two screws holding the taillight on you will find a half-asses piece of tape crumbling away covering the oval holes I mentioned earlier. The wheel well is sealed good and I can't see away water is getting from the wheel wells or bumper and into the vehicle. It's running off the roof, around the hatch frame, and trickling behind the taillight housing.
It's a fairly simple fix with some weatherproof tape or mastic or self adhesive rubber mat.
Look there first. Probably save you hundreds by not chasing your tail at the dealership.
Another clue that tells me water came in from above and from bumper or wheel well is that mold and mildew is on the top of the syrofoam piece covering the spare where water collected.
The holes I'm talking about (containing the vents I showed and also some peanut sized taped over holes from the factory) are under the light, not behind it, and can only be access by taking the rear bumper off. I'll have to check behind the lights as well though since I'm still getting water on the driver side a little bit.

The wheel well doesn't leak for me as far as I know, but since it only covers the top and front of the wheel, the back of the wheel is exposed and that's where it sprays behind the bumper cover and can hit the vents/tape holes.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I really doubt its the cabin exhaust vent flaps. All cars have those and in roughly the same location.

Sent from my SM-G9550 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
88 Posts
https://www.dropbox.com/s/mmtwikj5f4q3oz8/IMG_0413.MOV?dl=0

This was shot with the bumper cover on, mind you. The pics later of the car at the stealership are from another time in my adventures with this issue.

It starts with all windows and doors closed and the air on, forcing the vents open. Then the hatch opens, allowing the vents to close. You can see day light through it. So I take that as an entry point for water. Especially where they have them positioned....

Inside:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/igm84tx0qu5swvt/IMG_6817.jpg?dl=0

The video is shot looking behind the little steel bit above the white factory sealant stuff.

I mean, I haven't had a drip drop of water since eliminating the vents. And I was always unable (as were the Ford techs unable) to get an water to enter the car by simply spraying water ON the car. Before sealing off the vents, I was able to drive through a single puddle and produce water in my hatch. Yesterday and today were pouring rain and I've had a bunch of running around to do...no water. Mine seriously used to look like the pics above: a literal pool around my jack and wheel. So take it as you will, I wouldn't believe it at first either but turns out it solves my problem. I have a few more photos but I'm having trouble uploading and I'm out of wind on the subject. Good luck anyway.

·
Registered
88 Posts
The tail light fix is part of the $1000 I ended up forking over to Ford, along with roof rails and hatch seal and the whole song and dance. Unfortunately none of that worked, and my $20 for tuck tape and permatix paste actually stopped the leak. Thanks Highland Ford! :p whatever you do, take matters into your own hands because as soon as a dealership or body shop hears about your issue all they will see is $$ dollar signs in their eyes. Whatever the issue ends up being, find it yourself. That's my best advice actually, my biggest takeaway from the whole situation. This was like the 4th or 5th thing that dealership screwed me on and it was the last straw as far as my trust goes.

·
Registered
11 Posts
When I purchased my Fiesta back in March of 12, I didn't have a problem with this. I moved to a different city that following June and within a week, someone hit and ran my back end. SO I took it to caliber collision where they repaired it... few days later we have nonstop heavy rain storms and I noticed when cleaning my car after the storms my trunk was wet! I we really lucky when I discovered this problem, Caliber fixed it 100% no questions asked, since I have lifetime warranty on their work. When I found out this was a wide spread design issue, I keep a very close eye just in case it happens again... thanks Ford ;)

·
Registered
43 Posts
I had this problem and read through the threads on this forum. I found this helpful. I also found a particular video on YouTube helpful as well, "Ford Fiesta Hatch Water Leak FIXED". Link below. Glad to say my leak has been patched!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have the same problem with my 2012. I can verify that the water is using multiple points of entry as every round of sealing has produced results. I still have have water infiltration though it is far less severe. I agree that the problem seems to be aggravated by driving in the rain vs being parked out in the rain

1 - 15 of 15 Posts