Fiesta Faction banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just upgraded my 2014 Ford Fiesta's SYNC 2, or MyFord Touch as some others call it, to a SYNC 3 system from a 2016 Fiesta. It actually works! It's pretty effortless except for the GPS antenna! Got the SYNC 3 for a $100 so it was a great deal and definitely worth it.

·
Registered
649 Posts
That's awesome! Mind sharing where you got the sync 3 system for $100? Who programmed it for your vin? Do you have your old MFT stuff for sale?

Thanks!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's awesome! Mind sharing where you got the sync 3 system for $100? Who programmed it for your vin? Do you have your old MFT stuff for sale?

Thanks!
Actually bought it on ebay. It came from a Tennessee junkyard Fiesta with a very similar configuration to mine so it worked right out of the box. Well, except for the backup camera. I am reprogramming it myself today to enable the backup camera and navigation. You don't really need to reprogram it for your VIN, you don't really lose anything. All of the cables between the MFT and Sync 3 are literally plug and play. I didn't quite decide what I want to do with my old MFT, I might sell it in the future!

·
Registered
649 Posts
Actually bought it on ebay. It came from a Tennessee junkyard Fiesta with a very similar configuration to mine so it worked right out of the box. Well, except for the backup camera. I am reprogramming it myself today to enable the backup camera and navigation. You don't really need to reprogram it for your VIN, you don't really lose anything. All of the cables between the MFT and Sync 3 are literally plug and play. I didn't quite decide what I want to do with my old MFT, I might sell it in the future!
Sounds great. I'm in Tennessee too! That price was a steal! Even more so if it came with a navigation apim. I just have basic sync, no MFT so that's why I asked. I'm sure it wouldn't be that easy for me. I would be interested in it should you decide to sell it.

·
Super Moderator
1,250 Posts
Forscan listed sound system options. I would have to go back in to see exactly what they are. I have basic Sync and will be attempting to do an MFT upgrade in the near future. Does anyone know if the wiring harness in non-MFT have MFT plugs?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Forscan listed sound system options. I would have to go back in to see exactly what they are. I have basic Sync and will be attempting to do an MFT upgrade in the near future. Does anyone know if the wiring harness in non-MFT have MFT plugs?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't think it is possible :/ I mean, we can compare stuff if you take yours apart and post a picture of your cable and I can post a picture of mine and we could see how similar/different they are. There is a website called 4dtech.com and they have upgrade kits. Even they don't seem to carry the upgrade kit for the regular sync.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sounds great. I'm in Tennessee too! That price was a steal! Even more so if it came with a navigation apim. I just have basic sync, no MFT so that's why I asked. I'm sure it wouldn't be that easy for me. I would be interested in it should you decide to sell it.
Yeah the price was definitely a steal! I'm not sure there is a navigation and a not navigation APIM, I am pretty sure you could change the hex values in the APIM module and enable the "navigation app". Today I've installed the GPS antenna and in the diagnostics mode it now shows my coordinates, satellite position and satellite signal strength.

Don't rush to upgrade, I am not sure if the cables are the same. Would have to look at the pins. But i will keep in mind that you're interested!

·
Registered
649 Posts
My limited experience with sync 3 is with the F-150 where there is a difference in apims between nav and non nav. I wish it was as easy as it was in the 2015's where you could enable nav on the MFT easily.
Thanks for the info. I appreciate it.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Bummer :/ would it even be hard to convert to the MFT?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
I have no clue about the difference in cables, all I can tell you is regular sync has a different non HD radio and I'm not sure if you would be able to keep yours or had to get a new APIM + a new radio + a new control panel bezel for the radio. I have a 14 SE with regular sync sitting around as well so I might investigate soon how to replace it with MFT

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have no clue about the difference in cables, all I can tell you is regular sync has a different non HD radio and I'm not sure if you would be able to keep yours or had to get a new APIM + a new radio + a new control panel bezel for the radio. I have a 14 SE with regular sync sitting around as well so I might investigate soon how to replace it with MFT
I'm sure that'd be easy to aquire. Just wondering if it would be plug and play or if there is a diy

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
My limited experience with sync 3 is with the F-150 where there is a difference in apims between nav and non nav. I wish it was as easy as it was in the 2015's where you could enable nav on the MFT easily.
Thanks for the info. I appreciate it.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
Do you know any more details? I would love to know. I've attained the GPS capability as of today and do have an A7 SD card sitting around. The reason I think it should work is my sync fully recognizes my position, satellite signal etc in diagnostics mode:

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Just an update guys. The car this unit came from had no backup camera and no nav. But I have been able to enable both, here is the proof. Moreover I have enable dynamic lane guidance which was not there before and I'm not even sure is available on Fiestas! Don't mind the outside temp, the car has been sitting for a while and ambient temperature sensor is warming up from the engine heat

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
****UPDATE****
Nav actually does not work. whirledpeaz was right, you DO need a new unit for it. You can technically enable the Nav app, but nothing will ever load. You can also enable seat heaters and the dual zone climate control on the screen but none of these will actually work.

I have, however, been able to update the system from Sync 3 1.0 straight to Sync 3 2.2, which allows me to use Android Auto and Apple CarPlay. Apple CarPlay does not yet work as it needs a new usb hub (which I just ordered and it's on the way). However, android auto works great! It works unbelievably smooth. Using Google Maps on it is all the nav I will ever need to be honest.

I have also changed the lame stock splash-screen to this awesome thing.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Great info ronfi! Like you, with sync 3 I would be content with google maps and android auto. The only time it might be an issue is when you are in an area without cellular service. Wouldn't it be nice though if you could just plug in the A7 card and get nav?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts