Fiesta Faction banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Either I suck at this or SYNC really does suck. I'll be in phone mode, try to hit AUX and it won't go. I have to push the speak command button and tell that scary woman to go to USB for it to go to AUX mode. Anybody else having these issues?

·
Registered
947 Posts
Well, I've only had my car two days, so I suck at it, too. But the system and commands need to be very structured for them to work properly. I couldn't say it's an "issue" or just the way it works...

·
Registered
2,986 Posts
it works for me. did you read the owners guide? what do you have plugged into the AUX port? or do you have something in the USB port.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Either I suck at this or SYNC really does suck. I'll be in phone mode, try to hit AUX and it won't go. I have to push the speak command button and tell that scary woman to go to USB for it to go to AUX mode. Anybody else having these issues?
That is a "feature" not a "bug". Aux refers to the input jack (that you connecct to with speaker cord). it also refers to bluetooth audio, if your phone is capable of streaming music that way.

But to get to USB, the main method is to hit the Sync button and say it out loud. I think. You might be able to hit Aux then Menu a few times, but that's way less convenient than the Sync button.

I know this only because I have been tearing my hair out over that ever since I sat down in the car. On the bright side: It learns your USB habits. It used to make me say "Play playlist 'New'" every time I called up USB, but now it just starts playing the minute I say "USB". So there's that.

But to your first point: I have no idea whether it's me or Sync that sucks, either. It cannot understand me when I voice dial. It puts a stray zero or pound sign into the phone number every time. So I just speak the word "Dial" and then type the phone number on the preset/key pad.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
it works for me. did you read the owners guide? what do you have plugged into the AUX port? or do you have something in the USB port.
My iPod is hooked up to USB while my iPhone is hooked up to bluetooth, I can't even get SYNC to sync with my iPhone's iPod feature.

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
My iPod is hooked up to USB while my iPhone is hooked up to bluetooth, I can't even get SYNC to sync with my iPhone's iPod feature.
Which iPhone do you have?

SYNC's website suggests they only tested it with the iPhone 2.0 and 3.0 (3G).

There may be some answers here: Apple - Support - Discussions - Ford (Microsoft) Sync and iPhone 3.0 ...

I always thought you could only have one AUX source...? Can we assume you're trying to have SYNC link to the music in the iPod AND that in your iPhone, right?

·
Registered
343 Posts
Sync doesn't work well with iPhone - you can make calls and play "Bluetooth Audio", but you wont have any voice commands through bluetooth audio, just what is playing on your phone currently is all you're going to hear.

In addition, "Aux" is different than "USB" - as far as I know, the only way to play USB is to tell the lady to play USB or find it buried in the menus.

also, you can double tap the speak button and avoid the scary lady all together - double tap (or tap while she is talking) will put SYNC into listen mode.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Which iPhone do you have?

SYNC's website suggests they only tested it with the iPhone 2.0 and 3.0 (3G).

There may be some answers here: Apple - Support - Discussions - Ford (Microsoft) Sync and iPhone 3.0 ...

I always thought you could only have one AUX source...? Can we assume you're trying to have SYNC link to the music in the iPod AND that in your iPhone, right?
I have one of those dreaded iPhone 4s that I apparently hold correctly, the iPod is setup as USB device and the iPhone is setup as a bluetooth phone. I'm gonna go through that ford sync forum and see if they got any solutions. I really don't want to have to get a new phone just to get SYNC to work correctly.

·
Registered
343 Posts
I have one of those dreaded iPhone 4s that I apparently hold correctly, the iPod is setup as USB device and the iPhone is setup as a bluetooth phone. I'm gonna go through that ford sync forum and see if they got any solutions. I really don't want to have to get a new phone just to get SYNC to work correctly.
It's something you're going to learn to live with (I promise)... I have been living with SYNC in my escape for the last year.

For hands free calling it works fantastically. Although sometimes the iPhone will get screwed up and volume issues start occuring (people on other line start not being able to hear you for instance). If this happens just delete the connection from your phone, then from the car, then re-add the phone to the car.

For music, your iPod is going to work great with SYNC, connected via the USB. your phone will be your backup incase you forget to bring your iPod with you - you basically lose voice commands. Also sometimes it will connect to your phone before it connects to your iPod (it will say bluetooth audio on the display) - when this happens, just wait a second then double tap the sync button and say "USB". Yes, it kinda sucks not having full voice features when in bluetooth audio mode, but as I've said this is going to be your backup music option and the whole system is so great you'll learn to live with the quirks that happen when you forget your iPod.

plus the iPhone 4 is awesome ;)

·
Registered
264 Posts
You can be in phone mode or in "music mode" but it seems phone mode always overrides music. You have to hang up to return to music mode. Push the phone button until it returns to whatever music mode you were in.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I have been using sync for a week now with my most recent gen ipod touch... and I've had nothing but good experiences getting it to play what I want.

·
Registered
119 Posts
That is a "feature" not a "bug". Aux refers to the input jack (that you connecct to with speaker cord). it also refers to bluetooth audio, if your phone is capable of streaming music that way.

But to get to USB, the main method is to hit the Sync button and say it out loud. I think. You might be able to hit Aux then Menu a few times, but that's way less convenient than the Sync button.

I know this only because I have been tearing my hair out over that ever since I sat down in the car. On the bright side: It learns your USB habits. It used to make me say "Play playlist 'New'" every time I called up USB, but now it just starts playing the minute I say "USB". So there's that.

But to your first point: I have no idea whether it's me or Sync that sucks, either. It cannot understand me when I voice dial. It puts a stray zero or pound sign into the phone number every time. So I just speak the word "Dial" and then type the phone number on the preset/key pad.
according to this usatoday article Sync has trouble understanding female voices What? Ford's Sync voice system turns deaf ear to women - Drive On: A conversation about the cars and trucks we drive - USATODAY.com

·
Registered
168 Posts
The USB thumb drive is working great. I just leave it plugged in and I get all the voice commands, and my phone stays in my pocket and automatically pairs with Sync for calls.

·
Registered
3,428 Posts
I had some issues at first, but I am getting used to it. For two days none of our iPod's would play and Pandora would not work thru the phone. I tried it again, and everything worked on the 3rd day and has been working since. I am still figuring out the voice commands and was very used to the old menu options in the EU Fiesta. Everything on the US car is voice driven, where it was split more on the EU car. The biggest thing I hate about Sync is the lack of volume controls on the steering wheel. I have not tried out the OpenBeak or text message system yet. I also was told to get Applink for the Fiesta, but I have no idea where to download that at.

I think Sync will be great once I figure it out. They really need some instruction at the dealer or a DVD that you can watch to learn it. The supplied USB may do that, but I can't register it, so I don't know what is on it.

·
Registered
168 Posts
One thing really bugs me: it keeps going into shuffle mode.
When I tell it to play an album, it plays the right album but with the songs out of order.

I listen to mostly prog rock where the songs flow into each other seamlessly. Out-of-order is bad.

I keep telling it "Shuffle off" but the next time I play an album it shuffles again.

·
Registered
984 Posts
One thing really bugs me: it keeps going into shuffle mode.
When I tell it to play an album, it plays the right album but with the songs out of order.

I listen to mostly prog rock where the songs flow into each other seamlessly. Out-of-order is bad.

I keep telling it "Shuffle off" but the next time I play an album it shuffles again.
Check your music player and make sure that shuffle is turned off on it also. If it is then instead of saying shuffle off go thru the menu buttons and make sure that it is actually shut off. Sometimes that lady can be pretty hard headed when it comes to the actual settings.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So I'm having issues with SYNC sometimes not even working properly. iPod plugged in, phone won't SYNC, can't get USB command to even work. I have to restart the car to get things going. Where is the fuse for SYNC so I can do a hard reset?

·
Registered
168 Posts
I have to restart the car to get things going. Where is the fuse for SYNC so I can do a hard reset?
Yesterday I hit the voice command button at the exact same time a phone call was coming in, and the entire system froze. I turned it off and back on and it came back up, but I missed the call. A little scary. I would think an automotive system would be more robust.

·
Registered
264 Posts
So I'm having issues with SYNC sometimes not even working properly. iPod plugged in, phone won't SYNC, can't get USB command to even work. I have to restart the car to get things going. Where is the fuse for SYNC so I can do a hard reset?
Sometimes get the issue where phone connects but then disconnects after approx 1 Min. Cycling phone off/on fixed that as I usually never shut if off.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Sometimes get the issue where phone connects but then disconnects after approx 1 Min. Cycling phone off/on fixed that as I usually never shut if off.
According to the display, nothing is connected.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts