Fiesta Faction banner
1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
2,742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Unfortunately, this is an area that the Fiesta needs improvement, in my opinion. Anyone know of some mods to improve this?? I have a 2011 SEL w/ Powershift. I should have gotten a manual, but I let my fiancé talk me out of it. Oh well.

So...
Anyone have a list of ways to improve my throttle response??
I'm tired of flooring the pedal and waiting a full second to get any sort of invigorating response, haha.
As always, any and all help is very much appreciated.

M. Bourné

·
Registered
4,187 Posts
From dead stop you are flooring it? That should not be required. Seriously. I have 2 PS-equipped Fiestas and NEVER have had sluggish response on the throttle.

Have you looked through the TSB list in Service Bay to see if perhaps there are issues with it? If the car actually does have a documented problem repairs are likely to be no cost to you.

·
Registered
3,428 Posts
I have not driven the PS Fiesta, but the throttle response on the manual cars is really good. I have zero issues with response. Might be the thing that lives between the motor and the axles.

·
Registered
3,428 Posts
The Fiesta is just a slow car with very little throttle response. Lol, why are you flooring your Fiesta anyways?
I would guess on average, I am at 75% throttle for every shift with a few times at 100% in second and third. With my Boesch Built intake, the car is very responsive. When you only have 120hp on tap, maximizing the throttle position makes a difference :p Going 75% throttle in my Mustang results in a speed differential between the front tires and the rear ones.

·
Registered
456 Posts
The Fiesta is just a slow car with very little throttle response. Lol, why are you flooring your Fiesta anyways?
I actually think my PS Fiesta is rather zippy :D

Want speed and throttle response? Try a motorcycle

·
Registered
6,416 Posts
Confusing throttle responsiveness with horsepower?

Also, have you tried 'L' for when you want to "get up and go"?

·
Registered
634 Posts
my 5 speed has no issues with throttle responce and motor Rpm... the issue I see is it's a small motor, you can't expect revs with a small car, small motor from low rpm. If you want it to rev quick, downshift. I can hit 70 in 3rd but don't do it often (only twice), it's very responsive at 5000 and above.

·
Registered
2,986 Posts
a cold air intake like the injen SP9015 or AEM CAI 21-703 will improve throttle response.

·
Registered
947 Posts
The electronic throttle in the Fiesta does have some hesitation, and there's not a thing you can do about it except to adapt to it. The computer decides when it wants to go, so if you apply the throttle then, it will seem like there's good response.

Ford says that the computer "learns" you're driving habits, but I think it's just the opposite. It's you that has to learn the computers response, and then adapt to it...

·
Registered
238 Posts
I think what the OP is feeling is a combination of the fly by wire throttle lag coupled with the delay in the computer/transmission knowing what to do. I know exactly what he is talking about and it will drive you crazy. I can tell instantly when I get in a fly by wire car alone because I drive mechanical linkage cars and trucks on a regular basis. They just respond better.

The only fix to this is an after market tune and I dont think anybody even offers one. Its a fairly common problem with all makes these days.

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
The fiesta feels great, but then again, i bought one with ONLY transmission that should be in motor vehicles. A MANUAL

·
Registered
502 Posts
Manual here, silicone intake tube, K&N drop in,Steeda roll restrictor and short shifter with bushings. I can chirp in first and second, however, if the revs aren't up, hitting 3rd, the car can bog down. Let's just say it's semi-zippy.

·
Registered
3,428 Posts
Manual here, silicone intake tube, K&N drop in,Steeda roll restrictor and short shifter with bushings. I can chirp in first and second, however, if the revs aren't up, hitting 3rd, the car can bog down. Let's just say it's semi-zippy.
The bog between 2 and 3 is from the gear ratio gap taking the motor out of the power band. Our US gearboxes are geared for MPG and not performance. The EU car has very close ratio's and the 2-3 shift keeps the car in the power band. To keep the revs in the right spot in the US car, the shift needs to be at high RPM's. The US car is great on gas in town compared to the EU one because of the ratio's, but for me, it isn't worth the performance loss.

As for throttle by wire, the Fiesta is one of the most responsive cars I have driven with that system. I feel very little difference compared to cable operated throttles. I also roll into the throttle, and don't mash it, so that could be why I never see hesitation.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Yep, I realize that. It's addressed quite nicely when shifting at 6k.

·
Registered
545 Posts
I also roll into the throttle, and don't mash it, so that could be why I never see hesitation.
This is key. Takes a short time to get used to the difference but once you do it becomes second nature. I thought it felt "weird" for the first couple thousand miles. Now that I know the car, it's fine. Definitely more peppy than the Accent I traded for it.

·
Registered
3,428 Posts
I always roll into the throttle, regardless of what I am driving. The smoother the throttle application, the better! The car stays balanced, there is less shock on the drivetrain, and less chance of losing grip. The grip isn't really a concern with the fiesta, but a huge issue on my Mustang.

·
Registered
502 Posts
It isn't an issue on my Mustang with the TC on. Off, it's a different ballgame. Note to self- need wider rear tires....

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
Unfortunately, this is an area that the Fiesta needs improvement, in my opinion. Anyone know of some mods to improve this?? I have a 2011 SEL w/ Powershift. I should have gotten a manual, but I let my fiancé talk me out of it. Oh well.
So...
Anyone have a list of ways to improve my throttle response??
I'm tired of flooring the pedal and waiting a full second to get any sort of invigorating response, haha.
As always, any and all help is very much appreciated.
Hi mk7,

Welcome to the forum!

My name is Noemi and I'm the residential Ford help.

I understand the desire to see your Fiesta kick in with some performance. However, at the end of the day, it is built with a 1.6L engine geared towards fuel economy and not muscle car performance.

Of course, Ford recognized there are Fiesta lovers who are looking for a certain, ahem, kick. So keep a look out for the Fiesta ST. I know it will have more of that invigorating response you desire.

I actually think my PS Fiesta is rather zippy :D.....
Hi dan-c,

My current adjectives for the Fiesta: hot, cheeky and soon to be added, zippy. Love it!

.........Ford says that the computer "learns" you're driving habits, but I think it's just the opposite. It's you that has to learn the computers response, and then adapt to it...
Hey Reddog99,

Things that make you go, hmmmmmmm.

Have a great evening everyone!

Noemi

1 - 20 of 70 Posts