Fiesta Faction banner
41 - 60 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
This is key. Takes a short time to get used to the difference but once you do it becomes second nature. I thought it felt "weird" for the first couple thousand miles. Now that I know the car, it's fine. Definitely more peppy than the Accent I traded for it.
hahaha i traded my accent too...just thought id throw that in there

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have had a lot of tuning done on a customer's 06 Corvette. We never got rid of the throttle lag up or down. I only have a problem with the Fiesta going down because it doesn't heel and toe as well as my 67 Mustang.

·
Registered
266 Posts
great city car but throttle response sucks and the car overall is slow as hell. Smooth ride though..

Coming from a BMW nothing will ever be similar...

·
Registered
2,742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
great city car but throttle response sucks and the car overall is slow as hell. Smooth ride though..

Coming from a BMW nothing will ever be similar...
I came from a 1993 BMW 325is. The Fiesta handles much better, and once the Rev's kick up, the car has plenty of go for a 1.6L. Throttle response does suck, as originally posted, but after some performance spark plug wires and a few holes in the airbox, that is slowly improving.

·
Registered
401 Posts
My last car was a 2006 Audi S4, and the biggest complaint (besides the gas mileage and the maintenance costs) was the drive by wire system. When shifting between gears (manual transmission) it was almost impossible to make it not be herky jerky. Someone was actually able to hook up a computer to his car to record data when he was driving and the "actual" throttle position almost never matched the position of your foot. It helped a lot to almost leave your foot on the throttle a little bit while shifting to keep the revs up where they needed to be when you got into the next gear. After a year and a half of owning it (and about 10 years of driving a manual transmission) I still wasn't really good with it.

Has anyone tried one of these?

Sprint Booster For Ford Fiesta

I have heard some mixed reviews on these in general but have never experienced one first hand.

·
Registered
2,742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
Those spark plug wires must be good for at least 10 hp and the holes anothe ten. Wow, just think, you now have 140 fhp.:rolleyes:
Highly doubtful. I just noticed a little more response, that's all. Even if it's just the placebo effect, I'm pleased.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I test drove a 2012 "s" and when exiting a 90 degree corner *spirited* I did feeel some hesitation. It almost felt like a fuel cut... I am coming coming from a 1973 bmw, which has a mechanical linkage.

The fiesta that I test drove was low on fuel, too. Has anyone been paying attention to fuel level when the cuts happen, or is it to be expected all the time?

·
Registered
279 Posts
One thing i noticed when i modded the stock air box, was improved low
to mid range pick up. Not really throttle response but it was a nice change.
Basically the extra volume of air the engine could intake at low speeds
as the fiesta does have some what factory cold air intake set up, but thru a skinny flat tube.

I worked on cars for over 20 years (auto repair tech) and while the drive
by wire is nice i guess, none of the DBW cars i have driven come close
to the instant response of a cable. Especially a properly tuned carbureted
vehicle.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Bad thing is if i had to mess with an older carbureted car today.
I wouldn't know where to begin. LOL.

Needle and seat? Float? Idle air screws? Whats that?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Adaptive transmission characteristics

Twice my ECM has had to be reprogrammed and the net result was a return to stock settings. It takes a tank or two of operation that the settings adapt to my more aggressive driving style. I sell these cars at a Ford dealership in Ontario and I am regularly in new units that have factory settings and notice the difference between them and my own.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Only suggestion I would have is to have purchased the manual. Take a look at the throttle body. If there is a lip in the middle, maybe you could port the TB with a Dremel tool for smoother airflow?

·
Registered
26 Posts
I need to make a quick comment on the throttle response. I have the powershift trans and the response is good in almost every situation while moving. The only time I experience a delay is from a dead stop.

The first time I floored the throttle to cross a street I swear it took 3-4 seconds to begin even rolling. I was scared for my life that I wouldn't get across the street before the cross traffic hit me.

Not sure if others have experienced this delay, but it can cause your heart to end up in your throat if you are not careful.

·
Registered
2,742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
I need to make a quick comment on the throttle response. I have the powershift trans and the response is good in almost every situation while moving. The only time I experience a delay is from a dead stop.

The first time I floored the throttle to cross a street I swear it took 3-4 seconds to begin even rolling. I was scared for my life that I wouldn't get across the street before the cross traffic hit me.

Not sure if others have experienced this delay, but it can cause your heart to end up in your throat if you are not careful.
That is the EXACT reason I started this thread.

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
I have a 2011 SEL w/ Powershift.
Ford (and basically every other manufacturer) programs in a .3 second delay in the throttle of automatic transmission cars.

I dont know why, but it sucks.

·
Registered
10 Posts

That is the EXACT reason I started this thread.
Ok guys and gals, Great thread but I don't think we have actually addressed the issue (if there is an issue...I think there is).

I too have an '11 Fiesta w/PS auto....I have had since October '10. I have over 50k on it now. Love the car. HATE the throttle response from stopped. I have had many instances where I thought something was wrong with my car. It simple would not go. I seeked out this forum/thread to discuss this very issue.

I was at a stoplight yesterday on a slight backward grade, AC blasting on full..I go to right turn on red...mash the gas and not much really happened...very sluggish and super slow acceleration. I mean I thought my car died or I needed to pull over. This was bad. (and has happened a few other times):mad:

I completely understand that drive by wire has an inherent lag to it. I also understand the 1.6 is not a torque or hp monster. I think the PS auto computer adds lag to the system and believe it or not I think the system(s) get confused.

So...Tiny engine + drive by wire throttle lag + CPU controlled tranny lag + other engine load (AC/Alternator) = UNACCEPTABLY slow acceleration to the point of being dangerous.

Please don't imply that I am expecting too much. All I want is for my car to go when I stab the throttle. I don't want to melt the tires...I just want fair, predictable, responsive acceleration. I don't think this is to much to ask for a NEW car.

Is there something I am missing? Is there a recall or updated PCM code that I need.

Thanks,

Hank

·
Registered
24 Posts
Powershift shifting

Put the unit in "L" and it will run to red line in each shift and down shift upon breaking. You can not get more aggressive driving and acceleration than this. I own both a powershift and a manual too. Want more umph add an intake and a "Borla" exhaust. Gives more bottom end grunt.

41 - 60 of 70 Posts