Fiesta Faction banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Banned
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, if one were to keep a Fiesta long enough to have to replace the timing belt, what kind of cash outlay will be involved (estimate). Just curious.

Also curious if anyone thinks the 1.6 TiVCT is capable of 200,000 plus following maintenance to the "T" . Mostly Highway driving of course.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I don't know about the cost, and I hope to get 200,000 out of my engine.
But what I do know, is that the Fiesta does not have a "free-running" (free-wheeling)
engine.
In other words; timing belt going = pistons crashing into the valves =
probable replacement of the engine!
I plan on getting my belt replaced even before the recommended
time in the schedule!!

·
Registered
984 Posts
So, if one were to keep a Fiesta long enough to have to replace the timing belt, what kind of cash outlay will be involved (estimate). Just curious.

Also curious if anyone thinks the 1.6 TiVCT is capable of 200,000 plus following maintenance to the "T" . Mostly Highway driving of course.
No time standards set yet therefore no pricing on cost yet.

·
Banned
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Suprising

No time standards set yet therefore no pricing on cost yet.
Considering this engine has been running in Europe for some time, you would think Ford would have a general Idea....

·
Registered
23 Posts
I asked the dealer about the 150,000 mile interval, and he said that the belt was carbon fiber. It's the longest intervel I've ever heard of. even at my 25k per year, that's 6 years before I'd have to change it. I'm fine with that.

·
Banned
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Awesome

I asked the dealer about the 150,000 mile interval, and he said that the belt was carbon fiber. It's the longest intervel I've ever heard of. even at my 25k per year, that's 6 years before I'd have to change it. I'm fine with that.
20-25k is about what I do as well, I don't know If I am going to settle on this car or not, so who knows if I will even have to worry about it.

·
Registered
984 Posts
Considering this engine has been running in Europe for some time, you would think Ford would have a general Idea....
Ford doesn't use the same labor times across the board they basically develop what THEY think is fair based on time studies and reported times on claims that are submitted. Plus any times they develop would only be for warranty repairs and if the belt last as long as they say then Ford won't ever have to pay for one anyway. Even with an ESP policy they don't sell one that last for that many miles.
If something does happen that is covered under warranty that requires timing belt to be replaced then the engine would already be apart and putting the belt on would be included.

·
Registered
554 Posts
I wonder how much experience there is for timing belt replacements in other markets where the Fiesta has been around for a few years.

I.e. how much time / cost does it take, and whether there is any tendency for early failure?

·
Banned
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This is embarrassing for the Blue Oval

We're sorry, the VIN you entered is not supported by the catalog at this time

WTF?

·
Banned
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok....lets think about this....

For instance:

1. You take a piece of rubber off of a blown truck recap and rip a windshield wiper. No problem...I will just run down and get one.....OH! They don't have parts yet!

2. Worse....your windshield is busted by said tire......No problem, I will have the dealer replace it...........OOOOOPPPPSSS......they are not available yet...lets call Mexico....

3. Anything else jacks up. Can't get the parts...........because there is no parts catalog! Who in the heck came up with that strategy?:rolleyes:

·
Registered
984 Posts
For instance:

1. You take a piece of rubber off of a blown truck recap and rip a windshield wiper. No problem...I will just run down and get one.....OH! They don't have parts yet!

2. Worse....your windshield is busted by said tire......No problem, I will have the dealer replace it...........OOOOOPPPPSSS......they are not available yet...lets call Mexico....

3. Anything else jacks up. Can't get the parts...........because there is no parts catalog! Who in the heck came up with that strategy?:rolleyes:
There is a parts catalog that the dealers can look up parts. With any new vehicle the parts to be stocked is decided by the dealership and the build up of inventory of the parts takes time. If this is a surprise then why did you buy a vehicle that is brand new ? If a wiper blade or something small is needed then they are available quickly from other sources but a windshield, body panels,headlamps and non maintainance type parts will take a week to 10 days to get and wouldn't normally be stocked by a dealership parts department. I doubt very seriously that you could walk in and ask to buy a windshield for any car and the parts department would have it in stock. Once again You started this thread to talk about the timing belt not parts stock issues.

·
Registered
244 Posts
It's what I'd expect

In the first couple of months that I had my Mini in 2003, getting some of the parts would take time, but after a year, they were readily available. I'm expecting the same with the Fiesta. Next summer, I don't really expect much of a delay, but if I have the misfortune of needing something now, I'm expecting a delay.

·
Banned
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Back to the timing belt!

You started this thread to talk about the timing belt. What is this ?
I went to the parts website to lookup a few things, including the timing belt, and entered my vin to find there are no parts available for my car.

I can't even get a wiper blade or oil filter! So that means no oil change! I would have thought that they would have had the basic stuff in there.

Windshields, wipers, oil filters...belts...stuff that could feasibly go wrong....a full stock of parts, no that is understandable...

But the basics?

So that is how I got off of subject, sorry!

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
I almost didn't get the Fiesta because of the timing belt. Rather have a chain.

My Ford dealer had the part number for the Ford armrest in their parts "book". They put in the serial number and everything worked fine. But I wasn''t ordering a windshied so I can't comment on that.

·
Registered
264 Posts
I went to the parts website to lookup a few things, including the timing belt, and entered my vin to find there are no parts available for my car.

I can't even get a wiper blade or oil filter! So that means no oil change! I would have thought that they would have had the basic stuff in there.

Windshields, wipers, oil filters...belts...stuff that could feasibly go wrong....a full stock of parts, no that is understandable...

But the basics?

So that is how I got off of subject, sorry!
Make sure you are not using and "o" in your VIN number. They are all "0"s (Zeros) No VIN has an O in it. Only zeros.

Just in case. Also, I have used Ford Parts | Buy Motorcraft & Genuine Ford Parts Online | FordParts.com with some success. I however cannot find the timing belt part number......odd......

·
Registered
554 Posts
Which parts web site? Ford Parts | Buy Motorcraft & Genuine Ford Parts Online | FordParts.com ?

That site indeed does not like my Fiesta VIN. However, I can click "Model" and it does allow selecting for 2011 Ford Fiesta. And you can find the windshield glass under the Body category, Glass sub-category, although the price say "Call us".

It lists (under the Wiper and Washer category) Motorcraft front wiper blades with MSRP $19.05 left, $17.60 right.

Under Engine category, Filters sub-category, you'll find that the oil filter is Motorcraft FL-910S, which should be readily available at any Ford dealer or Wal Mart*, since the same filter is shared by several other (common) Ford vehicles (be sure it is the newer FL-910S, not the older FL-910 that may still be on the shelves).

That web site does not list the timing belt in the main listing, but does list the timing belt tensioner (6K254 with MSRP $38.10), which seems kind of odd. But if you go to the picture of the timing belt tensioner, the timing belt is shown (6K288 with MSRP $52.43). Of course, it is the installation that could be expensive (also, what other parts are supposed to be replaced when doing the timing belt, which appears to touch three gears as well?).

* Not sure why Wal Mart stocks Motorcraft oil and oil filters -- maybe Sam Walton wanted to be able to buy them for his own Ford pickup in his own stores?

·
Banned
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Just good marketing on Ford's part

Which parts web site? Ford Parts | Buy Motorcraft & Genuine Ford Parts Online | FordParts.com ?

That site indeed does not like my Fiesta VIN. However, I can click "Model" and it does allow selecting for 2011 Ford Fiesta. And you can find the windshield glass under the Body category, Glass sub-category, although the price say "Call us".

It lists (under the Wiper and Washer category) Motorcraft front wiper blades with MSRP $19.05 left, $17.60 right.

Under Engine category, Filters sub-category, you'll find that the oil filter is Motorcraft FL-910S, which should be readily available at any Ford dealer or Wal Mart*, since the same filter is shared by several other (common) Ford vehicles (be sure it is the newer FL-910S, not the older FL-910 that may still be on the shelves).

That web site does not list the timing belt in the main listing, but does list the timing belt tensioner (6K254 with MSRP $38.10), which seems kind of odd. But if you go to the picture of the timing belt tensioner, the timing belt is shown (6K288 with MSRP $52.43). Of course, it is the installation that could be expensive (also, what other parts are supposed to be replaced when doing the timing belt, which appears to touch three gears as well?).

* Not sure why Wal Mart stocks Motorcraft oil and oil filters -- maybe Sam Walton wanted to be able to buy them for his own Ford pickup in his own stores?
I think it is simply great marketing on Ford's part...caters to the enthusiast, and yeah Sam did drive that old Ford pickup! (I wouldn't put it past him changing his own oil either) knowing his history, and background and family I wouldn't doubt it one bit!
Snow? | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
I know quite a bit of his history, that's me on the front porch of Callison-Lough Funeral Home in Bentonville, Arkansas....the funeral home that buried Sam and Helen Walton, I was the embalmer there (upstairs) and lived there for some time. His funeral was one of the cheapest dollar wise that year (Less than $7,000 total.)
Very simple and traditional man! Whole family is that way.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Timing Belt: BE8Z.6268.B
Oil Filter: BE8Z.6731.AB (FL-910S)
Windshield: BE8Z.5403100.A
Wiper Blades: BE8Z.17528.B (Rt. Ft.), BE8Z.17528.A (Lt. Ft.)
BE8Z.17528.C (Rear)
If your Fiesta needed a timing belt right now, your dealer could
order it and have it in 2 days (1 day if emergency ordered).
Same goes for the wiper blades.
The oil filter is readily stocked.
Not sure how long it would take to get the windshield.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts