Fiesta Faction banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
2014 Fiesta Titanium 1.6 Duratech
Wanted to do my belt as was over 100k miles, plus water pump for heck of it. Bought tools, took apart per procedure. Brought cams to 11 o'clock, put pin and advanced to TDC, locked cams with phaser. Where it seems it went wrong was me trying to get the harmonic balancer off for the belt change. I put PB blaster on it, impact gun, breaker bar, car in gear and secured the flywheel with vise grip.....and couldn't get the bolt, but what I did was managed to have the visegrip fall off and have flywheel go counterclockwise with a screeching sound as belt skipped teeth on cams. It went maybe 1/4 to 1/2 turn counterclockwise. I gave up on trying to get bolt off, replaced water pump and belt tensioner and put back together and rotated engine twice by hand which it freely turned with no abnormal sounds. When I got it back together it would catch and immediately stall out after a few sec. I only tried to start it once being afraid of engine damage if timing off. I read it was non-interference but then that it IS interference. So what do I do? Should I redo the cams TDC and lock them, take off belt and realign crankshaft to TDC with pin then put belt back? Or could I have damaged the crankcase sensor while trying to get.bolt off somehow and that's why it's not starting? I looked at #1 cylinder with endoscope and it seemed to be at top before I put back together. I could just take to dealer and have them do it but one dealer already refused to even look at it because I told them I tried to start once! Another dealer claims alternately that the car "can't be timed" and "need the lead tech to figure out if it can be done". Seems to me runaround because they don't want any job that may take more than a few hours.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Do not try to run it. Everything will need to be retimed as you said. When I did mine I purchased a flywheel locking tool that goes in where the starter is. I didn't trust being able to hold it otherwise. If your impact won't take the bolt out find a better more powerful impact.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If repeat the procedure and put the cams back at TDC marks then take off the timing belt and put in crank pin then advance crank back to the stop will the engine be back in time? After all the flywheel only went counterclockwise a small bit after being initially set TDC with cams locked and pin in. Should I then do a compression test on the cylinders to check the valves?

·
Registered
64 Posts
What you said should work. The problem is holding the crank/flywheel. Even to loosen it you must lock the flywheel and even more so to reinstall the crank bolt. The pin will break if you put any force on it. I had the Ford service manual and that is how they performed a belt change.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts