Fiesta Faction banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The last 1400 miles on my Fiesta have been either commuting to and from work or the occasional quick highway trip on the PA turnpikes.

Today was such an amazing day (72F, clear skies) that I decided to leave a little early and take the back-way up to visit the in-laws. When I say back way, I mean, through practically every twisty back road from Allentown to the middle of no-where Northeast PA. And although I know it doesn’t compare to some of the twisties out there on the west coast, it’s very enjoyable when you’re one of about 5 cars on the road. I made my way through such famed spots as the Weatherly and Giants Despair hill climbs, plus a slew of other twisties that I have found over the years. I made a 1 hour drive into 2.

And I can safely say I like this car even more now.

Some quick impressions:

Power: I was actually able to pass some people going uphill (10%+ inclines sometimes) and I was pleasantly surprised by this. My last car was a 2009 HHR SS with 303 hp and 340 ftlbs torque so I was very ready to be under whelmed, and although I wasn’t blown away, it was enough to get around the occasional slow-poke.

Handling: I now know what the reviews mean about “momentum car”. As long as you keep your speed up, this car really inspires confidence and does not let you down. And when doing some of the crazy switchbacks on the hill-climb roads, I just couldn’t get over how little understeer there was and how well the vehicle was geared to just pull right out of them. Lots of fun. I almost wanted to turn around and do some of them 2x. The HHR never fared as well however, it weighed much more and the turbo lag caught it off guard on some of the uphill switchbacks. My car before the HHR was a MINI Cooper S and it had a similar tossable nature to it, and the supercharger helped pull out of the turns a little better, but not much honestly. The MINI felt had more oversteer but perhaps thats because I was going through faster. However my G-meter was reading .85 consistently, about what I would get with the MINI and my butt-meter things the fiesta could have done much more, I was taking it easy for sure. Undulating and twisting roads are just so easy to handle, this car is balanced so well.

Ride: There were no roads along this whole trip that were in good condition, not a lot of potholes per say, but many narrow roads with dips and washboard surfaces everywhere. This car eats them up like nothing. I just couldn’t get over how well it remains planted over even the most rough surfaces. It’s obvious that the car is very light though as when cresting some of the hills, there were a few moments of weightlessness. But the suspension is so smooth that you really can drive it fairly hard without breaking a sweat.

This car makes fun drives like this a blast instead of a white-knuckle ride. I can’t wait for next weekend.
:D

·
Registered
421 Posts
Nice write up, and pretty much agree with your conclusions as well. I usually reserve the SVTF for those kinds of drives and got the Fiesta for commuting but keep thinking about making a drive north to the mountains to see how the little guy handles it.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts