Fiesta Faction banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased Yellow Blaze Metallic touch up paint for my Fiesta (a few paint chips from stones from trucks).

It took over 3 weeks to get (since this is the only car with the color - new colors initially take time to get vs about 2 days).

Unfortunately, the touchup color is somewhat off from my car color. Anyone else experience this yet?????:(

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
How "off" is it? Did you just apply the paint over the chip, or did you use a light/dark colour primer underneath?

Just an FYI: For those who haven't yet, I'd order touch up paint as soon as you can. For some dealers, they may treat them as "hazardous chemicals". As such, they can only order them in when "needed". So,you may need touch up paint ASAP, but it may take dealers some time to actually get the vials.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Is the touch up paint a single step? Some companies are doing two step (color/clear) touch up.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The chip did not take off all of the color of the paint (just half of it).

I bought clear coat touchup stick from O'Reilly's.

I would say it is many shades off!!!!

·
Registered
316 Posts
I order touch-up paint from here

PaintScratch Touch-Up Paint (rs), Spray Cans, Spray Paint, Paint Pens, Car Paint, Automotive Paint

I have used there stuff on my BMW which is black...no metallic. Got pens, little bottles and rattle cans in my base coat and clear. So far have only used the pens on little thin scratches applied as explained on their website. Came out perfect and matched perfectly, although I have read doing paint with metallic is alot more difficult to match perfectly, especially with pens and little bottles. If it's bare metal....you need to put primer down first, even if it's a tiny scratch. Base coat will not adhere to bare metal. Then a couple coats of base, dry and then clear. Then polish it down to match the surrounding area, because the clear will be dull if you do not polish. Seen cars painted with Rustoleum and a brush. So long as you wetsand and polish after, it comes out nice.

Orderd the usual touch-up paint as well as a quart of base and clear for my fiesta so that I can paint my spoiler and body kit. I'll see how well that matches, although my car is Oxford white, which I think is just a fancy discription for white, so probably easy to match that color.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Yellow is a tuff color, doesn't cover well. Was the paint completely mixed? Metalic flakes have an effect on the color too. I have white, as easy as it gets.

·
Registered
947 Posts
I guess that your experience is a lesson for us all: shake the paint well, then test the color on an out-of-sight area first.

·
Registered
380 Posts
you have a tri-coat finnish

You will need to first get the undercoat, I will guess it is a light yellow, but it wont dry glossy. then you must apply the pearl coat which gives it the sparkle or glowing effect and then the clear to add gloss. I just sprayed stripes on my Fiesta and one of the two shades I chose was platinum white metallic, also a tri-coat. There is a reason this color option cost $300. It is labor intensive to apply and requires some skill. But a carefull, patient person can do it.

·
Registered
508 Posts
I ordered spray paint from these guys Automotivetouchup.com Touch Up Paint, Aerosol Spray Paint and Paint Touch Up Accessories for my Miata and it matches perfectly. Plus I find that using spray paint with a brush gives me more control compared to standard touch-up paint (although they sell both types). In addition spray paint lasts for years without degrading while I've found that after a year or so bottle touch-up paint needs serious thinning.

·
Registered
227 Posts
We tried ordering a tube of Lime Squeeze touch-up paint for our Fiesta a few weeks back, but the parts dept. didn't have a listing for it yet. Then we went back to the dealership's body shop and they were nice enough to mix us up a small bottle on the spot, no charge. It's a perfect match to the body color of our Fiesta, and so far we haven't had a need to use it (knock on wood).

Harry

1 - 10 of 10 Posts