Fiesta Faction banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can I use the original sensors on new 17x7's?

Does a low profile tire require the use of the "banded" mount rather than the "stud" mount?

Any of you who mounted 17's (or any wheel really) keep your TPMS sensors?

I'm hoping to buy Ford SVT 6-spoke 17x7 with 205/45-17's. The band mount is 45$ addl/wheel plus mounting. Might be easier to just buy new [email protected]$85/ea than to dismount the factory 16's and remove sensors. That way I've still got a set of back-ups too. (the original 16's)

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
3/4" square piece of black electrical tape costs .00023 cents. :D

·
Registered
3,428 Posts
I am running without sensors and I don't care about the light. At any given time, every car I have owned has had some light on the dash telling me I have done something to make the computer mad. If you check your tire pressure on a regular basis and don't mind driving without the sensors, then I would not spend the money to get new ones and have them programmed for the car. I swap wheels and tire for different seasons, so TPMS is too expensive to have two sets. If you don't want to worry about tire pressure and don't want a light, then you would have to go with some sort of a sensor.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I checked real quick at work and the factory tpms is fairly expensive, on the plus side it doesn't use straps, they are just the valve stem type.

·
Registered
984 Posts
You can get a set of four from Tire Rack for around 150.00. The factory ones are probably twice that. DelayedZ can probably tell you MSRP since he works in Parts Department.

·
Registered
343 Posts
You can get a set of four from Tire Rack for around 150.00. The factory ones are probably twice that. DelayedZ can probably tell you MSRP since he works in Parts Department.
Also, if you order the wheels and tires from TireRack, they'll install them for you free - you'll still have to take them to your dealer to have them calibrated, but you'll be sent wheels with the tires and sensors already on them.

·
Registered
984 Posts
Also, if you order the wheels and tires from TireRack, they'll install them for you free - you'll still have to take them to your dealer to have them calibrated, but you'll be sent wheels with the tires and sensors already on them.
Unless you buy the tool that they sell to actuvate them. I think the tool cost another 105 dollars or so. I am waiting till I get the car to make sure but if it is like other valve stem mounted sensors all you need to activate and program them is a magnet with a hole in the center that will fit over the valve stem. I use this process on all Ford valve stem mounted TPMS sensors.
The only ones that we use a special tool for are the ones that or mounted inside the tires with a band that mounts them on the rim.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So stem mount is OK?

I guess my only remaining issue is whether a stud mount sensor can be used on a low-profile (40- or 45-series) tire. Is there enough clearance between the inside surface of the tread and the sensor, particularly if, say i hit a pothole? Can the tire deflect enough to hit or damage the sensor? Should I buy the band mount just in case?

·
Registered
984 Posts
I guess my only remaining issue is whether a stud mount sensor can be used on a low-profile (40- or 45-series) tire. Is there enough clearance between the inside surface of the tread and the sensor, particularly if, say i hit a pothole? Can the tire deflect enough to hit or damage the sensor? Should I buy the band mount just in case?
The valve stem style sensor has the main body of the sensor in the deep part of the rim and will be fine with low profile tires. The band type sensors may not work with this system because I believe but am not postive that they operate on a different frequency. Plus all that does is add the cost of the bands and the carriers that the sensors clip into.

·
Registered
283 Posts
The band mount is an awful design, stick with the valve stem type, I have had them on every car I've owned, band mount is a primitive idea, and its a pain to transfer bands if anything ever happened to the wheel. The valve stem type is cake, and nothing can happen to it.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the info, guys. Really appreciate the knowledge so many of the FF members have.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Oh one more thing, if you get the valve stem type, make sure you put a black plastic cap on the valve stem if it comes with a metal cap, the indifferent metals fuse and it ruins the valve stem, but with the black plastic like a regular valve stem, its plastic and metal and can't fuse together.

·
Registered
984 Posts
Oh one more thing, if you get the valve stem type, make sure you put a black plastic cap on the valve stem if it comes with a metal cap, the indifferent metals fuse and it ruins the valve stem, but with the black plastic like a regular valve stem, its plastic and metal and can't fuse together.
That sounds like a snowbelt problem I don't remember ever having that kind of problem here in Florida on any past TPMS sensors on customer cars in service.

·
Registered
283 Posts
That sounds like a snowbelt problem I don't remember ever having that kind of problem here in Florida on any past TPMS sensors on customer cars in service.
Happened on my Z to a brand new set of sensors, the cap and the valve stem were indifferent metals and fused together, had to buy all new valve stems after just getting those, the second time I decided to put in black caps and never had a problem. We have fusions come in that have the problem sometimes.

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
And since I'm now officially a sponsor I can reveal my pricing on new TPMS sensors for you guys.

P/N 9L3Z*1A189*A $39.06 each plus shipping, they do retail for $71.02 each.

That right there is a pretty good example of what our discount can do for you. :D

·
Registered
447 Posts
The band mount is an awful design, stick with the valve stem type, I have had them on every car I've owned, band mount is a primitive idea, and its a pain to transfer bands if anything ever happened to the wheel. The valve stem type is cake, and nothing can happen to it.
auto parts stores sell rim size hose clamps to replace the ford bands if they break. probably a good idea if you replace tires to replace the bands with these as a preventative measure. i've had a bunch of fords come in with sensors bouncing around in the wheels because of the bands failing.

heres a link to give you an idea. parts store prices are MUCH cheaper...

Universal TPMS Mounting Band and Bracket Kit at CorvetteGuys.com - Free Shipping!

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
auto parts stores sell rim size hose clamps to replace the ford bands if they break. probably a good idea if you replace tires to replace the bands with these as a preventative measure. i've had a bunch of fords come in with sensors bouncing around in the wheels because of the bands failing.

heres a link to give you an idea. parts store prices are MUCH cheaper...

Universal TPMS Mounting Band and Bracket Kit at CorvetteGuys.com - Free Shipping!
I see that is just a hose clamp. What would cause one of these to fail inside a wheel? I've never had a hose clamp fail even in the most extreme conditions - like holding on exhaust wrap where there is extreme thermal fluctuations and exposure to moisture.

·
Registered
984 Posts
I see that is just a hose clamp. What would cause one of these to fail inside a wheel? I've never had a hose clamp fail even in the most extreme conditions - like holding on exhaust wrap where there is extreme thermal fluctuations and exposure to moisture.
It is usually caused by a tire person not putting the sensor in the correct location in relation to the machine arms when mounting or dismounting tires. The bands are stainless steel and don't rust. Once again the band type are not used on the Fiesta because it uses the valve stem style so the bands don't really matter on the Fiesta. I have seen the clips that actually hold the sensors to the bands fail but that is very rare.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts