Fiesta Faction banner
41 - 60 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
See this irresponsible Smart Car owner...you have the same issue..

Smart Car Hitch?

Would you use the same set up to secure your child in a Child Safety Seat?

Then why in the world is the safety of others behind you any less significant.

What are you going to do when you get sued?

$5,600,000 settlement obtained for victim who lost her husband in an accident when a runaway trailer that had broken loose from a pick up truck crashed into his vehicle and set it on fire causing him to burn to death in Collier County.

and

$4,000,000.00 Verdict - Motor Vehicle Collision
$4 million jury verdict in favor of an individual whose leg was amputated following a collision with a trailer that came loose from a pickup truck

Every lawyer should know about the irresponsibility shown in this forum.

·
Registered
3 Posts
What are you going to say to this family?

First Name : angel
Last Name : Redacted
Address Street 1 : Redacted
Address Street 2 :
City : ventura
Zip Code :
State : CA
Daytime Phone : Redacted
Evening Phone : Redacted
Email : REdacted....
Comments : my niece just recently passed away because of trailer hitting
the car my sister was driving , she was only 6 , our lives have been
devasted over our loss , iam so angry at the man who caused this
accident , i want to know how i can help so this dosent happen again , i
also want to know how to make new laws for this, i want a law called
eminas law , how can i do this for our family and so this tragedy dosent
happen to anyone else loved ones , i want to be very educated on this ,
i want new laws passed and i also again i state i want a law called
eminas law, i want this not to happen to anyone else , i hope this makes
since , thank you for your time , and being with us through all of this
, thank you for your support

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Smart Car Hitch?

Would you use the same set up to secure your child in a Child Safety Seat?

Then why in the world is the safety of others behind you any less significant.

What are you going to do when you get sued?

$5,600,000 settlement obtained for victim who lost her husband in an accident when a runaway trailer that had broken loose from a pick up truck crashed into his vehicle and set it on fire causing him to burn to death in Collier County.

and

$4,000,000.00 Verdict - Motor Vehicle Collision
$4 million jury verdict in favor of an individual whose leg was amputated following a collision with a trailer that came loose from a pickup truck

Every lawyer should know about the irresponsibility shown in this forum.
First Name : angel
Last Name : Redacted
Address Street 1 : Redacted
Address Street 2 :
City : ventura
Zip Code :
State : CA
Daytime Phone : Redacted
Evening Phone : Redacted
Email : REdacted....
Comments : my niece just recently passed away because of trailer hitting
the car my sister was driving , she was only 6 , our lives have been
devasted over our loss , iam so angry at the man who caused this
accident , i want to know how i can help so this dosent happen again , i
also want to know how to make new laws for this, i want a law called
eminas law , how can i do this for our family and so this tragedy dosent
happen to anyone else loved ones , i want to be very educated on this ,
i want new laws passed and i also again i state i want a law called
eminas law, i want this not to happen to anyone else , i hope this makes
since , thank you for your time , and being with us through all of this
, thank you for your support
Yes towing is dangerous when anybody can build a trailer...8 States do not have a safety chain law...and Kentucky and South Carolina does not have a Registration for trailers.

Please know that a family was killed in front of their children by a loose runaway trailer in September and nobody knows who did it because they did not stop. See
YouTube - Safety activist Travel trailer regulations too lax in SC WIS News 10 Columb Dangeroustrailers
If almost 400 lives lost in 2009 and over 21,500 injured is not a wake up call then what is....? Only 32 Million Utility Trailers are registered...and nobody does nothing except us..

But we ask.....the Government acts when 240 million registered
cars and 279 people are back over and killed in 2009 along with 18,235 injuries and in 2014 every new car will have a back up camera and it will cost you $300-$400 more and you have no choice.

So in this example if we had 240 million Utility Trailers Registered we would have almost 3,000 lives lost verses 279 and over 122,350 Injured verses 18,235 and nothing is done?

We have people installing a hitch on a smart car...and now a Fiesta...you know this is wrong...shame on you.
You must feel quite strongly about trailer safety to register an account just to talk about it and tell us how irresponsible we are as an entire forum. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
101 Posts
According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration there are about 43,000 people killed in fatal car accidents each year in the United States. Roughly, 40 percent of the fatal crashes are alcohol-related. In addition to fatal accidents, about 2.9 million people are injured each year.
If you drive a car shame on you.

About 400,000 thousand people die in drowning accidents, 9,000 of whom die in the United States of America each year alone.
Yes swimming pools are dangerous, if you swim then shame on you.

You can carry this argument as far as you like. People die each year from all sorts of things and there are statistics to back them up.

Lets just ban birth because people die every minuit because they were born.

Lets just drop it OK?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Opel (GM) even has a built-in system (factory installed)

[/QUOTE]

That built in one on the Opal is very cool.

·
Registered
4,381 Posts
Anyway -- so how do we cope in Europe?

and then you snap on this little doohickey

More interesting and nifty designs here: Google images

Be amazed :D

Opel (GM) even has a built-in system (factory installed)

General Motor's integrated, retractable Flex-Fit bike rack -- Engadget
As Emissary said earlier, lets get back on topic.

This looks like a great system for what is was designed for. I'm all in favor of a "tow" or "hitch" system for bicycle carrying or similar type apparatus.

The main point here is you're not attaching another "wheel meets the ground" item to the car. And of course one must watch the weight limits also. But this looks good and I think safe in terms of carrying additional things like bicycles, ski equipment, or a small carry basket to extend trunk space capabilities.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Soooooooooo

Has anyone installed a trailer hitch for the pupose of a bike rack yet?
I have the curt coming hopfully by this weekend.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Has anyone installed a trailer hitch for the pupose of a bike rack yet?
I have the curt coming hopfully by this weekend.
Lol, not yet unfortunately getting a Steeda short shifter and Boomerang armrest before the hitch, Damn Money, :)
I think you would be the first, care to post some pics when you get it installed?
Im curious to see the results as im sure many are.

·
Registered
1 Posts
If Ford does not recommend towing with the Fiesta, then it shouldn't be done. Plain and simple.

A towing capacity of a particular vehicle is dependent on a host of factors. Just because the European version with the same motor can tow, doesn't mean the US model should. Towing capacity is determined by engine, engine tune, transmission, gear ratios, drive configuration, axle ratio, suspension, tires and the list goes on.

Often times, vehicles share a platform and engine, but they are ultimately quite different vehicles.

Fortunately, you can still use a hitch for non-trailer loads, bike racks and cargo carriers and the like. Though they may not offer the same hauling capacity as a trailer, a cargo carrier can be a big help with these smaller cars.

·
Registered
4,381 Posts
If Ford does not recommend towing with the Fiesta, then it shouldn't be done. Plain and simple.

A towing capacity of a particular vehicle is dependent on a host of factors. Just because the European version with the same motor can tow, doesn't mean the US model should. Towing capacity is determined by engine, engine tune, transmission, gear ratios, drive configuration, axle ratio, suspension, tires and the list goes on.

Often times, vehicles share a platform and engine, but they are ultimately quite different vehicles.

Fortunately, you can still use a hitch for non-trailer loads, bike racks and cargo carriers and the like. Though they may not offer the same hauling capacity as a trailer, a cargo carrier can be a big help with these smaller cars.
You're right of course. But some people dis-regard the manufacture's recommendations. They are going to do what they want. Then when damage occurs they cry foul! Go figure.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Not a fiesta but here's my focus in warranty voiding, death inducing configuration. Super handy for karts, dirt bike and home depot runs. Car has 98000ish miles. Handles fine but fuel economy definitely goes down. A shorter gate on the trailer would probably help with the fe.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Not a fiesta but here's my focus in warranty voiding, death inducing configuration.
Risk is a funny thing, when you've got all kinds of stuff going on in cars and people driving distracted or impaired it's a bit hard to completely condemn a small trailer behind your car. I mean....you could be the safest guy on the road depending on who is out there with you.

·
Registered
893 Posts
You can tow with the Focus, Ford has a hitch for it as well as aftermarket makers.

·
Registered
26 Posts

·
Registered
2,986 Posts
cool. can you open the hatch when the bike rack is on the hitch? now you got me thinking of getting a Curt hitch to carry bikes. not towing :)

·
Registered
26 Posts
The hatch won't open with the rack up, but this bike rack can fold down with the push of a button to open the hatch.

41 - 60 of 80 Posts