Fiesta Faction banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First - yes I used search - yes I read all the threads I could find. :) So no "search feature" flame here :).

I recently got a 2013 Ford Fiesta S Sedan and just recently (as in maybe 15min ago) have put 2000mi on it. Yesterday while out driving and today when my mother asked me to take her somewhere we hear a sound from the drivers front side (transmission side) when accelerating or decelerating. To explain the sound - its a grinding sound, whether metal on metal I cant say for sure. What it reminds me of is say sandpaper on wood, or maybe a really icy slush sound. I took it to my dealer today (whom I am VERY disappointed with the technician) to explain it. It only happens from say 0-25/30mph (depending on how slow fast I accelerate) and is entirely silent after wards. When I go to stop I once again hear it starting around 30mph. It seems to be happening while in gear but I've not had any loss of power.

Anyways unsure of the sound I took it in to the dealer. The technician drives it literally 400ft in which he revved the engine so loud any sound would have been impossible to hear then tells me "Its the actuators. Its normal for the PS" I drive off the lot and maybe from just "listening for it" the sound is louder. So I turn around and drive right back at which point all they'll say is "Look you have the 60,000mi warranty if it fails you're covered" and send me on my way.

I know its essentially a manual and I believe it ?double clutches? but I just have this strong feeling something isnt right there. Anyways let me know what you guys think. I will be taking it to another dealership Saturday for a different opinion (if it doesnt outright fail on me on a 3hr one way trip tomorrow)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Also wanted to add this, I sat in my driveway and holding the brake, window down, shifted from L to D and back and you would very audibly (much more so than while driving) hear this same slush/grind kind of sound when switched from L to D.

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
that's y u got a new car, just dump it off to the dealer and let them worry about about it

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
If you want to see if it's normal just go back to the dealer that said it's normal and ask them to let you test drive a couple other Fiestas.

If the others sound the same it's normal, if they don't then it's not, it's not uncommon to demonstrate "normal operating characteristics" this way.

-Steve

·
Registered
4,873 Posts
For what it is worth, in all of my 38K miles my PS has made these noises.
Seems to be the actuators or something. It sems to be normal.

So drive the car for awhile and see if the noise gets worse.
Or find a dealer where the "tech" rides with you as you drive and point out the noise.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi, I have a Fiesta SE 2013 with powershift and I have the same issue. Grinding noises aroung 30mph. My car has only 2600 miles. I went to my dealer and I was able to replicate the problem. I drove my car with the transmission tech as a passenger. He told me that he heard the noise. At my dealer, there's at least 15 customers with the same issue. They took one car with the problem and removed the tranny. They opened it to find.... NOTHING!!! :confused: No wear sign!! So, Ford tell the dealer to change the tranny and send back the old one. I called again my dealer to ask if they have news for me. They told me that they ordered a new tranny for my car. Yeah!!!!! :D My advice, return to your dealer and do a road test with the tranny tech but drive your own car!!!!! Ford knows about this issue but for now they don't know where in the tranny the problem is . Hope you'll have luck as me with your dealer.

·
Registered
4 Posts
An update about my situation. My dealer called me today to inform me that they had received my replacement transmission. They've scheduled an appointment next week to change it. I will keep you informed. :cool:

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
An update about my situation. My dealer called me today to inform me that they had received my replacement transmission. They've scheduled an appointment next week to change it. I will keep you informed. :cool:
Thanks for the update, seller400. Keep us in the loop moving forward; if you need my assistance, just send a PM my way.

Crystal

·
Registered
4 Posts
An update. My Fiesta came back from dealer. There are no more sound. They changed the transmission. The technical advisor informed me that two days after ordering my transmission, they had a technical bulletin from Ford advising to not change the transmission on single noise complaint. They know about the problem and they try to find a solution. I was lucky, I was in time to get a new transmission. My dealer will feed me with the latest news about transmission problems. I will pay attention to see if the sound comes again.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I have noticed the same sound recently on my Fiesta. The car just touched 3000 miles. Next time I drive it, I'll have to leave the radio off and see if it's still doing it.

Keep us informed of what you find out! Hopefully they'll let you know what the problem was!

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
I have noticed the same sound recently on my Fiesta. The car just touched 3000 miles. Next time I drive it, I'll have to leave the radio off and see if it's still doing it.

Keep us informed of what you find out! Hopefully they'll let you know what the problem was!
Hi ill_eagle94,

Let us know if the sound returns. If it does, you may want to drop by your dealership so a tech can listen. They'll be able to tell you whether or not the sound is normal. As always, if you need any assistance from me, just send me a PM.

Crystal

·
Registered
2,742 Posts
My car was silent when new. At ~19k I took it in for the leaking seal TSB. They pulled the tranny apart and had to rebuild it because "they found some issues." It has been noisy ever since. Dealer doesn't care. Never have. I've taken it in many times and have gotten the "it's normal" speech. Now I'm at 89k and my tranny jerks all over the place, I've gotten the trouble code for "Stuck in Gear 4" twice, and it takes forever for it to change gears. If you think in taking it in to a dealership, you're crazy. At ~55k miles, the dealership wouldn't even look at it again. But at 70k miles, they offered to. Perhaps due to my now expired warranty?? Hmmmm....

I do apologize for the rant, but I've had far too many issues with this car, dealt with far too many rude technicians at multiple dealerships, and have been afraid of what's going to go wrong next for far too long. Over it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have been having the same problem since I got my Fiesta in November 2012. I have had the transmission checked by two dealers. Im going back to my dealer next week to have it checked again. Im at 3900 miles.

·
Registered
235 Posts
You know, I have a 2011 Fiesta and I had the exact same issue you are talking about. Just replace it. If it's in your warranty, have them replace it. Somehow get them to replace it. I did and my Fiesta has been Golden ever since (And I put my Fiesta under a lot of stress). From what I understand (And can make out from this thread alone) this is an issue with a lot of transmissions.

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
I have been having the same problem since I got my Fiesta in November 2012. I have had the transmission checked by two dealers. Im going back to my dealer next week to have it checked again. Im at 3900 miles.
Hi tryxiegirl,

I responded to your post on another thread; I just want to make sure you know I'm here to help. Send me a PM with your VIN, dealer, daytime phone number, and full name; I want to look into your concern.

Thanks!

Crystal

·
Registered
19 Posts
I've got the same problem. I was going to take it in a year ago but I didn't have enough experience with the noise to know how to reproduce it to I cancelled the appointment. Then about six months ago I took it in for a coolant leak (water pump) and I had them listen to the noise. Unfortunately, by the time I got an appointment two weeks later, a different mechanic took it out for a test drive and couldn't hear anything. I dtopped by and tried myself, but I think it wasn't warmed up enough or I got performance anxiety. Now I've learned that its got to be warm and you have to hit certain speeds and then use light acceleration. I would describe it as the tranmission attempting to downshift and the clutch (or software controlling it) is causing a type of flutter or vibration. It kinda makes this vibration sound for about one second then a pause, then another grind and on and on. Finally I thought I would try again so I made another appointment.

When I took it in yesterday, the technician went for a ride with me and I quickly reproduced the sound. Mine occurs mostly at 50mph, but also at 30 and 40mph. He identified the sound and said he had worked on that type of issue before. Just like you said, he indicated there wasn't an "official" fix from Ford yet, but they were told not to replace and components until further notice. They showed me the notice when we got back to the dealership. It only listed 2013 models and mine is a 2011. They are attempting to get clarification from Ford to see if 2011 models are in the same boat. The dealership just called and said no answer yet.

·
Registered
4,187 Posts
Cherri is having the same sounds about 35-50 area. Also the feeling of clutch slippage has returned - after a reflash of the TCM a couple months or so ago. No TSB or notices (no thrown codes either) when I had that last, but the dealer was good enough to try it. Guess it's back to them and see what might be able to be done.

I should note that Phantom is doing just fine at 30K+. Then again the TCM on him was reflashed about a year ago - after 18 months post-production.

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
...The dealership just called and said no answer yet.
Hi jovialjeeper,

I just wanted to touch base with you and see how things are progressing with your Fiesta. I see from your case notes that your CSM will be reaching out to you next week; keep us posted on your vehicle's status. :)

Cherri is having the same sounds about 35-50 area. Also the feeling of clutch slippage has returned - after a reflash of the TCM a couple months or so ago. No TSB or notices (no thrown codes either) when I had that last, but the dealer was good enough to try it. Guess it's back to them and see what might be able to be done...
Hi Cobra348,

How did the dealership visit go? If you need my assistance, I'm happy to do what I can to help. Just send me a PM with your info (VIN, dealer, mileage, daytime phone number, full name) and I'll get the ball rolling.

Thanks!

Crystal

·
Registered
111 Posts
Mine start to get the clutch slippage feeling again even if they reprogram TCM PCM 3 weeks ago. Today, the car was driven half an hour coming back from work. Then I start from a complete stop at a traffic light. While accelerating the transmission made a sound like "crunching" then lost accelerating power, car hesitate, then everything went back to normal acceleration. I drove the 10 minutes left to home without having the issue on 3 others traffic lights. I was lucky no one was behind me because I would get hit for sure. This is really scary. I'm really thinking about changing the car. I also notice today I'm loosing the chrome finish on one of bumper led light bezel. Everyday when I drive from a complete stop I get the feeling the clutch slip then grip then slip then grip.

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
...I also notice today I'm loosing the chrome finish on one of bumper led light bezel. Everyday when I drive from a complete stop I get the feeling the clutch slip then grip then slip then grip.
Hi beanrocco,

This is just a reminder that I'm here to help. :) Send me a PM with your info (VIN, dealer, mileage, daytime phone number, and full name) so I can look into some options to assist.

Crystal

1 - 20 of 51 Posts