Fiesta Faction banner

21 - 40 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
I've got the same problem. I was going to take it in a year ago but I didn't have enough experience with the noise to know how to reproduce it to I cancelled the appointment. Then about six months ago I took it in for a coolant leak (water pump) and I had them listen to the noise. Unfortunately, by the time I got an appointment two weeks later, a different mechanic took it out for a test drive and couldn't hear anything. I dtopped by and tried myself, but I think it wasn't warmed up enough or I got performance anxiety. Now I've learned that its got to be warm and you have to hit certain speeds and then use light acceleration. I would describe it as the tranmission attempting to downshift and the clutch (or software controlling it) is causing a type of flutter or vibration. It kinda makes this vibration sound for about one second then a pause, then another grind and on and on. Finally I thought I would try again so I made another appointment.

When I took it in yesterday, the technician went for a ride with me and I quickly reproduced the sound. Mine occurs mostly at 50mph, but also at 30 and 40mph. He identified the sound and said he had worked on that type of issue before. Just like you said, he indicated there wasn't an "official" fix from Ford yet, but they were told not to replace and components until further notice. They showed me the notice when we got back to the dealership. It only listed 2013 models and mine is a 2011. They are attempting to get clarification from Ford to see if 2011 models are in the same boat. The dealership just called and said no answer yet.
I went back to my dealer for the third time as per instructions by Ford regional customer service. Well, my Fiesta never shows its transmission sound issues during a test drive, but when I drove home, the sound was there the whole time except when accelerating from a full stop or at 60 mph on the freeway. Ford will not touch the transmission until the the tech department (I'm beginning to ask myself if enough research and testing is being done for a car that costs 15,000 USD for a basic model.) I just hope I do not break down in the middle of nowhere or cause an accident because of an impending transmission failure before Ford comes up with a satisfactory solution. After all, Ford Roadside Assistance is only good for 1 year.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just bought my New Ford Fiesta 2013 SE with the Power shift Tranny and I am hearing that same noise when accelerating to about 30MPH also, I only have 600 miles on it, it runs great at high speeds, and only does that noise sometimes, BUT IT REALLY SCARED ME, but now I'm hearing about it more and more, does any one know will it get worse or better, and does it cause any damage????

·
Registered
136 Posts
I've kept an eye on this issue ever since getting a fiesta and I'm at 11k with no failures even though I hear the sandpaper-like grind in low gears. There are a lot of drivers that have lots of mileage and mention they hear this but the transmission has kept up, while others report spotty transmission behavior. There's lots of others who have had it replaced and reported no grind after and they are super happy. I've read about Ford techs saying it is normal and it's not normal. There's videos and articles how the Ford powershift is going to scare people because it sounds different This is seriously a maze of a topic.

I think one gleam of light is that a Fiesta feels different than most cars. It is weak-ish, DCT, etc, I hear how people feel unsafe that when they slam on the pedal the car doesnt pick up. Yes, that sucks, but it's not supposed to, thats why Jeremy from Top Gear jokingly says he chose a fiesta for his daughter because he knew she couldnt speed if she wanted to.

So to bring it back into relevance, I think the best solution I've come up with that I'm going to do is find the best dealer (prob not the one I bought from in my case) and start building a relationship with them, and try to test out a different fiesta or two at some point to listen for the noise. My issue with it is that its pretty subtle but I definitely notice it as long as the music is low/off.

·
Registered
4,873 Posts
At 42.4K miles my power shift is still doing it's thing.
Must be people don't "slam" on the pedal far enough. My SE has no problem keeping up, or exceeding, traffic.
You just have to get the revs up over 3500.
Speed ? No problem exceeding the speed limit in any state.

tryxiegirl; do you drive or does the tech when you take your car to the dealer ?

·
Registered
260 Posts
I wonder if its actually a heat shield vibrating.

Sent from the jPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
136 Posts
At 42.4K miles my power shift is still doing it's thing.
Must be people don't "slam" on the pedal far enough. My SE has no problem keeping up, or exceeding, traffic.
You just have to get the revs up over 3500.
Speed ? No problem exceeding the speed limit in any state.
I have enough power too except when trying to change lanes in LA traffic from a slow lane, but also pressing the hill-mode overdrive button makes the rpms ramp higher so it helps in those situations and then I just turn it back off when I'm good.

I dont know what a vibrating heat shield sounds like, but "sandpaper on wood" has probably been the best auditory description I've heard that matches what I hear.

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
I just bought my New Ford Fiesta 2013 SE with the Power shift Tranny and I am hearing that same noise when accelerating to about 30MPH ...
...I think the best solution I've come up with that I'm going to do is find the best dealer (prob not the one I bought from in my case) and start building a relationship with them, and try to test out a different fiesta or two at some point to listen for the noise. My issue with it is that its pretty subtle but I definitely notice it as long as the music is low/off.
Hey 3Spur and andrewjen

I’m Meagan, the newest customer service representative on the forum, nice to meet you!

I’d like to look into this for you both, please PM me your VIN, current mileage, dealer name/location, your best daytime phone number, and full name so I can check into some options.

Meagan

·
Registered
172 Posts
Well, unfortunately I have to jump on this bandwagon. I recently purchased a 2013 SE Hatchback with the Powershift. I have always been a bit nervous about buying an automatic simply because of the longevity that I can expect out of the transmission. I keep my cars a long time, as I just sold my 1993 Ford Probe GT, 5 speed, that I personally owned and had NO problems with for 18 years.

Anyway, my concerns of buying an "automatic" have become far worse now. My first freeway drive I put about 100 miles on the car (50miles out and 50 miles back). When I got back, I started to hear the metal grinding, rattly sound. It got progressively worse quickly. Like others here, it only presents itself between starting from a stop and about 30mph. I don't get any jerking around and it feels smooth, but that noise is unbearable, and actually embarrassing when I have a passenger. Trying to explain to a passenger (whether it is a friend, coworker, or client) that this horrible metal grinding sound is "normal" on a brand new car just doesn't make any sense. That doesn't make Ford look too desirable to them either.

So I finally took it in with about 800 miles. Got the song and dance, that It was checked out and the sound is perfectly normal for this car. My service writer didn't think so, but if his foreman says so, it must be, he figured. I'm now at 960 miles, and the sound is still there. I am very easy on my cars, and try not to drive them hard at all. I have found that the sound is a little less when I am heavier on the gas pedal, but it is still very much there. It may not BE broken, I honestly don't know, but it certainly sounds like something is wrong with it. I guess I need to take it in to another dealer for another opinion. I didn't buy the extended service warranty (I bought a brand new car so I figured the factory warranty would be fine for now) so I don't get a loaner, which means I had to come out of pocket for a rental. My service writer was going to put in a request for ford to cover the rental (since there is an Enterprise inside the dealership), but that idea was cancelled when their findings was that there is "nothing wrong" with the car.

This is just very frustrating. I bought a brand new car so I wouldn't have to worry about my car being in the shop. My 20 year old ford sounded mechanically sound, and my brand new car doesn't.

I should have held to my guns at the dealership and walked, just wait and find a 5 speed in the same car. I went for it because they gave what I think was a very good price. That, however, doesn't make up for these problems. I wish I could trade it in now and buy the same car in 5 speed, but unless I could get just over 16K for it, which I'm sure isn't going to happen, this is not an option. What shall I do? (p.s. I'm holding off on my speaker and wheel upgrade because I am so uneasy with this car the way it sounds.)

:(

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
I recently purchased a 2013 SE Hatchback with the Powershift...So I finally took it in with about 800 miles. Got the song and dance, that It was checked out and the sound is perfectly normal for this car. My service writer didn't think so, but if his foreman says so, it must be, he figured. I'm now at 960 miles, and the sound is still there. ...
Hi SixFootFive,

I'll gladly look into this for you if you send me your VIN, dealer name/location, best daytime phone number, and your full name. Second opinions are always a good idea, and if you do go to another dealer, please give me their name/location as well.

There is a breaking in period for the Fiesta that is approximately 1000 miles, as stated in the 2013 Fiesta Owner’s Manual, Second Printing on pages 141 and 174. Here’s a link to the Owner’s Guide; just pop in the year, make, and model in the drop down.

·
Registered
34 Posts
my two cents to this

I also had similar issues and made a posting , when I took delivery of the car I thought it was a lemon so with this concern I read a few posting with similar issues and found if I change my driving style to a light foot on the gas and more drive time the car changed from a rattle box to a more responsive car .
now with 3250 miles good throttle response great gas mileage but still hear the rattle can sound from the tranny at low speeds . im not worried and will mention at my first oil service and see the response

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
...now with 3250 miles good throttle response great gas mileage but still hear the rattle can sound from the tranny at low speeds . im not worried and will mention at my first oil service and see the response
Hi kuya,

Keep me in the loop with what your dealer says. :)

Meagan

·
Registered
3 Posts
I had been having this issue for a while - 2013 Ford Fiesta Titanium - accelerating from a full stop, accelerating into a left hand turn would most commonly cause it to happen.

I brought the car to the dealer in Feb and they hear it when doing an inspection and oil change. (I asked them to check it)
A month later, the service manager emailed me to ask me to bring it in to have his team look at it. Ford TAC had come up with nothing on the issue.

I dropped it off yesterday - got it back in the afternoon. He said they reprogrammed the PCM and TCM.
So far, no noise.

24,000 miles.

I'll post an update if anything else comes up.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Whelp here is my problem! I have only had my car for 9 days or 500 miles. Whelp now my transmissions is making that grinding noise. I am so frustrated right now I have decided to be at the car lot at 7:30 am and insist that we go for a car ride. Anyways this was my first new car purchase and for lack of better words i'm spitting fire right now!

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
Whelp here is my problem! I have only had my car for 9 days or 500 miles. Whelp now my transmissions is making that grinding noise. I am so frustrated right now I have decided to be at the car lot at 7:30 am and insist that we go for a car ride. Anyways this was my first new car purchase and for lack of better words i'm spitting fire right now!
Hi there,

Your Fiesta has a break-in period of 1000 miles, where it can exhibit characteristics you may not be used to. Please let me know how the trip to your dealer goes.

Meagan

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello,

My 2014 Titanium Fiesta is at 40K miles when this started happening. Exactly as other members have reported, the noise happens around 30 mph and is loud. Took it to the dealer and they replaced the clutch. That didn't fix the problem. I went back and did a ride along with a tech and he heard the noise and said for sure it's a transmission problem. I left the car there for the day for it to get worked on and got a call later saying there is nothing wrong with the car and the noise is normal with the car. I told her that even the tech said it's a transmission issue and she countered with "well he isn't a transmission technician so he can't diagnose that". I took it to another dealer and requested another ride along. The noise happened again and the tech also said it's a transmission issue. Once the service manager contacted me he said also it's a normal sound. SO basically right now I Have to just deal with it. Two techs told me it's an issue but then the service managers said it's fine.

I am running out of patience. Is it worth my time pursuing a lawsuit or what should I do? This is my first Ford ever and will absolutely be my last.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Same situation I'm in with my Focus. :(
LOL yep, how's it going PratoN? The good ole transmission rattle crew back in action again. It sounds to me like gear rollover. THis generally happens in neutral, but guess what? One of our input/output shafts in the transmission are ALWAYS in neutral. One shaft or the other.

My response from the "engineer" was that it's a combination of shift forks, gears, and clutches making noise until the transmission warms up. So they basically responded, "It's stuff making noise."

I've had them replace input and output shafts and then the whole transmission, I still have the noise.

·
Registered
14 Posts
LOL yep, how's it going PratoN? The good ole transmission rattle crew back in action again. It sounds to me like gear rollover. THis generally happens in neutral, but guess what? One of our input/output shafts in the transmission are ALWAYS in neutral. One shaft or the other.

My response from the "engineer" was that it's a combination of shift forks, gears, and clutches making noise until the transmission warms up. So they basically responded, "It's stuff making noise."

I've had them replace input and output shafts and then the whole transmission, I still have the noise.
Yeah, mine still does it too... Was it a new transmission or a rebuilt transmission?

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

21 - 40 of 51 Posts