Fiesta Faction banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
The ground is good. I replaced the battery last month. All connections were looked at then.
My Fiesta is dead in the water until the new Accelerator Pedal Position sender gets here, if that don't fix it I'll try the Ford dealer again. Up to now that has been an expensive useless place to take my car. Maybe with it totally dead they can finally spend my money in a reasonable fashion and actually fix something. I have zero faith that they can do anything after my previous experiences.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
If the codes you did get related to the accelerator pedal then you might be right, you may need the sensor itself. Most people had the sensor replaced multiple times only to find out later they needed this TSB. You need someone with a VCM II to read your codes and that will point you in the right direction.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
The ground is good. I replaced the battery last month. All connections were looked at then.
My Fiesta is dead in the water until the new Accelerator Pedal Position sender gets here, if that don't fix it I'll try the Ford dealer again. Up to now that has been an expensive useless place to take my car. Maybe with it totally dead they can finally spend my money in a reasonable fashion and actually fix something. I have zero faith that they can do anything after my previous experiences.
I feel like you may have jumped into this fix without proper diagnosis. You said you have no codes but applied this TSB anyhow. Like I said previously, I ran the codes with VCM II and was immediately presented with this TSB on the computer screen. Just so I'm on the same page as you are, what information have you gathered about the problem you are having? Is it simply that the wrench light stays on and you have performance issues? If so you really need to have the computer scanned either by the dealership or through your own means. I have sent you a PM regarding diagnosing the issue yourself.

·
Registered
15 Posts
The Fiesta has been turning on the wrench light and dropping into this limp-in mode or whatever it is for a year. Until now it would clear with a restart and run properly. It has never stored a code that I could read. It has all sorts of other issues previous to that with multitudes of codes that eventually leading to correcting them. Considering this I made the wiring change because it obviously needed it. Also as this issues has been caused by poor connections and signal integrity from the accelerator pedal it seems likely this is the problem. Its a lot cheaper than Ford's miraculous pinpoint tests that are incredibly expensive and to date have never yielded a fix for any code that has come up. As much as I love this car it has had more problems in 60k miles then my 1990 Toyota truck with 310,000 miles on it and I bought it from a Kia dealer in an "as is" condition in 1993. At this rate the Fiesta will be junk yard fodder at 100k about the time it is paid off. I'm very disappointed.
Thank you for posting the instructions with photos and your concern.

UPDATE -

So the Fiesta went to the Ford Dealership. They said it needed an acelerator pedal assembly. I think not, I put in a new one the night before with no results. They borrowed one from a Fiesta on their lot and it didn't work either! After a few hours of checking the wiring harnesses and pinpoint testing they called the factory who told them to replace the Powertrain Control Module. They ordered the PCM only to find they are on back order. The only good news is the PCM is under the 8-80 Emissions Warranty.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Another update -
The Fiesta has been sitting at the Ford dealer since Nov. 9th. It is now Nov 23rd. The latest word (guess) from Ford is the PCM will be released for distribution Nov 25. I've about lost all faith in Ford, my preferred ride since 1964, I no longer trust Ford as reliable, caring or even the least concerned about quality. This car has more electronic features that all work but the basic electronics that make it an automobile don't. I'm extremely disappointed. Consider this I've been reduced to driving an ancient Toyota truck with 311,000 miles on it. In the 20 years I owned this used vehicle it never sat wanting a part for more than 24 hours. The Fiesta has been nothing but an electronic nightmare for over two years. Sigh!

·
Registered
371 Posts
How has this TSB held up in respect of stopping the CEL warnings, for those who have done it, or had it done?

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
I've had the light come on twice immediately after turning the car on, not in the middle of driving. I haven't checked the codes yet so I can't say whether its related to this or not. Even if it is related though, twice in the last couple of months is better than multiple times daily. I'll update if I get around to checking the codes next time it comes on.

·
Registered
16 Posts
So its been a month since Ford replaced the PCM and the Fiesta has returned to being a fun to drive car. Over a nearly two year period I saw more check engine lights and Engine Malfunctions in my Fiesta then I have seen in all the cars and trucks my wife myself and my two sons have driven in the past ten years. Seriously frustrating experience. If I didn't like this Fiesta so much I'd trade up to an ST. This one has a body kit, suspension, exhaust, intake, wheels and tires even ST seats! Everything except a Turbo, a six speed and 4 wheel disk brakes. I came real close to buying an ST during this episode.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Awesome! Hopefully they'll get the grinding sound taken care of in my Fiesta. Taking it in Monday.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Now the car does the CEL/power is cut in half sometimes 6 times in a 40 mile drive. It is absolutely ridiculous. This car has had more check engine lights than every other car I have ever owned in 1 million+ km of driving.

So: is it worth doing this TSB, or should I buy a PCM on eBay and replace that? My local dealer is useless and I wonder if a PCM change requires some computer coding on Ford's system.

·
Registered
371 Posts
If anyone wants a copy of m4ick's instructions WITH his photos I saved a Word copy of this information a year ago. Send me a message with your email address and I will send it to you.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Yeah so today we drove the fiesta 70 km. We had - I am not joking here - 20 bong-BONG-bong / check engine lights on the way (I restarted every time it happened). This is just ridiculous, the car, 4.5 years old, is nearly undriveable. So I wrote to Ford Canada to see what they are going to do about it. The problem was mentioned while the powertrain warranty was still in effect and they "generously" offered to do the TSB 13-11-15 for $500 plus taxes. That's not acceptable. I will engage CAMVAP (the closest thing Canada has to a lemon law).

·
Registered
371 Posts
Heard from CAMVAP today, they can't help and the 2013 model year coverage in any case ends September 30th.

The main reason they can't help is that I said that spraying the underhood fuse box with Molyslip Combat has totally eradicated the symptoms for a couple of weeks now. So it seems that in my case, the issue is with the fuse box. Maybe the 2013 and later models will also get a fuse box recall....

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Heard from CAMVAP today, they can't help and the 2013 model year coverage in any case ends September 30th.

The main reason they can't help is that I said that spraying the underhood fuse box with Molyslip Combat has totally eradicated the symptoms for a couple of weeks now. So it seems that in my case, the issue is with the fuse box. Maybe the 2013 and later models will also get a fuse box recall....
Hmm... strange. I still every now and then get the engine malfunction but I think after an ECU flash my IDS doesn't recognize the computer, using v86 I think, need to change over to Forscan and see if I can read the codes again, could be something else.

That is interesting though, may need to look into my fuse box I've heard about them corroding.

·
Registered
371 Posts
I have now done 500 km on it and still no codes. The previous typical drive of 25 km would generate 5-10 each time. So it's definitely the engine compartment fuse box in my case! I hear they cost $1000. So I'm going to tell my daughter to use the Combat spray liberally when she takes the car back north to Prince George next week.

·
Registered
371 Posts
The Fiesta referred to above is now our son's car. We got a recall notice for fuse box panel issues, and although British Columbia is not considered to be a mandatory recall area for this, he was offered the repair free of charge anyway as a courtesy repair. So today the Ford dealer Brown Bros. on SW Marine Drive in Vancouver performed the work. No more problem or need to spray Combat into the box!

21 - 37 of 37 Posts