Fiesta Faction banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
984 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I know I read in one of the threads about someone saying the SYNC lady was scary but I couldn't it find it so I thought I would just start another thread to post this for everyone in case you don't know.
When you push the SYNC button and the lady starts to talk you can turn the volume knob and adjust how loud or quietly she talks.
Once you learn the commands you can also go into menus and select advance in voice prompts and she will not talk as much. You will still get the tone when button is pressed and she will still talk sometimes but it reduces it a lot.
Also you can just press the button twice and say what you want instead of waiting on her to finish talking.
I also know that some of you are having trouble with the system not understanding what you are wanting it to do. The best thing to do is just speak normally like you are talking to another human. Don't speak slow or loud as this doesn't help. I know that it feels weird but just act like you are talking to someone on the phone and it will work better.
I hope this helps everyone and I am sure that once you get the hang of SYNC you will wonder why you didn't have it before.
I deal with all the same complaints with customers all the time and usually get in the car with them and show them how I talk to it and then have them do it. They always are either trying to yell at it or talk real slow or both without even realizing it until I point it out to them. Once they realize what they are doing and they start just talking to it the system works as designed 95% of the time.

·
Registered
324 Posts
I would just like her to talk in English. No habla espanol!
so far I have not found how to switch the voice and display to English. I went to 'menu' then 'display' and selected English, but that does not do what I want.

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
I would just like her to talk in English. No habla espanol!
so far I have not found how to switch the voice and display to English. I went to 'menu' then 'display' and selected English, but that does not do what I want.

According to the manual:

Changing the language setting

SYNC allows you to select from three languages: English, French and Spanish. Once selected, all radio display messages and prompts will be in the selected language. To access the language menu:
Note: To scroll, press / .

1. Press PHONE to enter the Phone Menu.
2. Scroll until System Settings is selected and press OK.
3. Scroll until Advanced is selected and press OK.
4. Scroll until Languages is selected and press OK.
5. Scroll to cycle through English, Francais and Espanol.
6. Press OK when the desired selection is selected. If you have changed
the language setting, the display will indicate the system is updating.

Once the change is complete, SYNC will confirm the change audibly and in the radio display. SYNC will then take you back to the Languages
menu.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Thanks. We went out to dinner after I posted yesterday. I will get back to it today after church. I was able to find some words that looked like they might be a menu, but I don't read spanish. I will have to find translations on the web to get to where I need to go. This is extremely maddening to buy an American branded product from an American manufacturer (regardless of where it was built), and from an American dealer, and now I need a Mexican to interpret the menus for me. :mad:

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
Thanks. We went out to dinner after I posted yesterday. I will get back to it today after church. I was able to find some words that looked like they might be a menu, but I don't read spanish. I will have to find translations on the web to get to where I need to go. This is extremely maddening to buy an American branded product from an American manufacturer (regardless of where it was built), and from an American dealer, and now I need a Mexican to interpret the menus for me. :mad:
I just tried Google Translate, and punched in the instructions:

Cambiar la configuración de idioma

SYNC le permite seleccionar entre tres idiomas: Inglés, francés y español. Una vez seleccionado, todos los mensajes de pantalla de la radio y le pregunta será en el idioma seleccionado. Para acceder al menú de idiomas:
Nota: Para desplazarse, pulse /.

1. Oprima PHONE para entrar en el menú del teléfono.
2. Desplácese hasta la configuración del sistema está seleccionada y pulse Aceptar.
3. Desplácese hasta avanzada está seleccionada y pulse Aceptar.
4. Desplácese hasta Idiomas está seleccionado y pulse Aceptar.
5. Vaya a recorrer Inglés, Francés y Español.
6. Pulse OK cuando la opción deseada se selecciona. Si ha cambiado
la configuración de idioma, la pantalla indicará el sistema está actualizando.

Una vez que el cambio es total, SYNC confirmar el cambio de forma audible y en la pantalla de la radio. SYNC a continuación, le llevará de nuevo a las lenguas
menú.
The stuff I put in bold seems to be the key words you should be looking for (based on phrasing and whatever semblance of French I still have in my system).

Unless someone goofed at the factory, it may have been your car was originally destined to go elsewhere (say, a state that may have had a high Spanish speaking population). We get that here sometimes with SYNC tuned to French in Quebec-plated cars that come from a very high English-populated area.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Mine was the same way, stuck in spanish, from factory. The only thing i can think of as to why it was stuck in spanish is that my Fiesta was a test vehicle off of the assembly line.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Dealer prep and delivery?

Mine was the same way, stuck in spanish, from factory.
So what were your dealership experiences at delivery? "Here's your keys. Have a nice day."?? The price of your vehicle includes dealer prep--nobody noticed it was in Spanish? The salesperson never showed you anything about the SYNC? My saleswoman spent 30 mins. with me programming my phone, my address for the Traffic feature, Keyless Start/Entry, etc. They also gave me a full tank to boot. Both of you got a bum deal for customer service.

If anybody living in Fla. wants a Fiesta, talk to Mullinax Ford. They have 2 dealerships in Orlando area, plus W. Palm Beach(Lake Park), and New Smyrna Beach. No dealer fees--Up Front pricing. (at Lake Park, ask for Melanie)

·
Registered
324 Posts
So what were your dealership experiences at delivery? "Here's your keys. Have a nice day."?? The price of your vehicle includes dealer prep--nobody noticed it was in Spanish? The salesperson never showed you anything about the SYNC?
Not quite. My wife picked the car up on her lunch hour from work. I attempted to have as much of the paperwork done beforehand as possible, but as the salesman was going through all the details of the Sync system, she ran out of time and told him to just give her the keys. We can figure out how to run a radio. Apparently not.

I sat in the car for over an hour yesterday with both the english and spanish translations of the above instructions, and was not able to step through the menus and get the same command responses. When I press 'phone' to start the process, the system seems to be searching for a phone to sync to (which I don't have - my phone is not bluetooth enabled). After that, I cannot find the 'Advanced' menu selection. The responses do not match the above list.

The radio portion of the menu system seems ok, with the slight caveat that the text display (for stations so enabled) reports the song title in Spanish. However, I can step through the audio menu (bass, treble, etc.) in English. Now why one but not the other?

My wife has a day off today (I never see the car otherwise - she always has it) so I think a trip to the dealer is on the agenda.

For whatever good points the Sync system may have, it seems to me that the controls and menus are more complex than they need to be. This is, after all, an entertainment device that a person can use while operating a moving vehicle in traffic. It needs to be more intuitive.

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
Not quite. My wife picked the car up on her lunch hour from work. I attempted to have as much of the paperwork done beforehand as possible, but as the salesman was going through all the details of the Sync system, she ran out of time and told him to just give her the keys. We can figure out how to run a radio. Apparently not.

I sat in the car for over an hour yesterday with both the english and spanish translations of the above instructions, and was not able to step through the menus and get the same command responses. When I press 'phone' to start the process, the system seems to be searching for a phone to sync to (which I don't have - my phone is not bluetooth enabled). After that, I cannot find the 'Advanced' menu selection. The responses do not match the above list.

The radio portion of the menu system seems ok, with the slight caveat that the text display (for stations so enabled) reports the song title in Spanish. However, I can step through the audio menu (bass, treble, etc.) in English. Now why one but not the other?

My wife has a day off today (I never see the car otherwise - she always has it) so I think a trip to the dealer is on the agenda.

For whatever good points the Sync system may have, it seems to me that the controls and menus are more complex than they need to be. This is, after all, an entertainment device that a person can use while operating a moving vehicle in traffic. It needs to be more intuitive.
Given the thread about DRLs, this could be an issue where the dealer may need to reflash your car's computer or access the car's computer directly to switch the language.

As for any technology, it's always developing, and it's always a balance on what is needed (and not needed). What could be intuitive for you may not be intuitive to your sibling or spouse or a friend. That, and SYNC has to maneuver with the various different platforms out there (like phone operating systems and media devices).

Given how SYNC has only been around a few years, it's come a long way since the first iteration. Now with MyFord Touch and other manufacturers getting on board with infotainment systems, things will probably get easier (hopefully) :eek:

·
Registered
324 Posts
"Press 1 for English"

Given the thread about DRLs, this could be an issue where the dealer may need to reflash your car's computer or access the car's computer directly to switch the language.

As for any technology, it's always developing, and it's always a balance on what is needed (and not needed). What could be intuitive for you may not be intuitive to your sibling or spouse or a friend. That, and SYNC has to maneuver with the various different platforms out there (like phone operating systems and media devices).

Given how SYNC has only been around a few years, it's come a long way since the first iteration. Now with MyFord Touch and other manufacturers getting on board with infotainment systems, things will probably get easier (hopefully) :eek:
No reflash needed. The salesman was able to quickly navigate through the Spanish menus and change it to English (he obviously has a working knowledge of Spanish). Now the menus are in English. I still have to learn to use the verbal command system. I was not able to get my iPod to play anything at all through voice commands while hooked to the USB port. I swapped cables to the aux cable from the earphone jack, and I could play it that way, by selecting the playlists manually on the iPod of course. Now that it speaks English, I can at least begin to learn how to use the voice command system. The commands are in the manual. I just need to learn enough of them to make it work.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I suspect that the engineers have optimized the menu system for features you're likely to use while operating the vehicle - they probably expected the language to have been set before you started moving! I wouldn't expect it to be as easy to set the language as tuning the radio or playing a song on a USB drive. Still, I think changing the language (from/to any language supported) is something that ought to be covered in the manual.

Hopefully now that it's in English, you'll find it a whole lot more useful, if not more intuitive!

If you have problems with your iPod plugged in to USB, you might want to check the iPod FAQs at SyncMyRide.com, the FordSyncForum.com, and also this other thread here. Apparently there can be some problems, but it sounds like everything can be fixed or worked around.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I just returned home from the dealer with a list of "Special Service Messages". One of them states that Fiesta Vehicles built on or before 7/22/10 may have been delivered with english in the message center and the sync language setting set to spanish. There are instructions on how to change back to english, but it looks like that was already taken care of above.

·
Registered
324 Posts
I just returned home from the dealer with a list of "Special Service Messages". One of them states that Fiesta Vehicles built on or before 7/22/10 may have been delivered with english in the message center and the sync language setting set to spanish. There are instructions on how to change back to english, but it looks like that was already taken care of above.
Yes, I got mine fixed. I had to swallow it up and go to the dealer. The salesman apparently reads Spanish fluently. It took him about 30 seconds to set it right.

·
Registered
33 Posts
.... It needs to be more intuitive.
:eek: This is so funny, maybe it is VERY intuitive, in SPANISH, and like my wife reminds me, I still don't speak very good spanish. you may find it easier once you understand the language, ..

"que pasa?"

1 - 16 of 16 Posts