Fiesta Faction banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got this in my email. Good news for many power shift owners, warranty on some components is extended to 10 years 150k. Obviously there are some details with it and I have not included all information here.

PROGRAM TERMS
Ford is extending the warranty coverage on the DPS6 Automatic Transmission Control Module (TCM)
to 10 years of service or 150,000 miles from the warranty start date of the vehicle, whichever occurs
first. This extended warranty coverage will address intermittent symptoms of loss of transmission
engagement while driving, no-start, or a lack of power. If a vehicle has already exceeded either the
time or mileage limits, this coverage will last through September 30, 2015. Coverage is automatically
transferred to subsequent owners.
NOTE: This program DOES NOT apply to vehicles that qualify for repairs under New Vehicle Limited
Warranty Powertrain coverage or Emissions Warranty coverage. Repairs for vehicles covered by
New Vehicle Limited Warranty or Emissions Warranty should be claimed following Warranty & Policy
Manual guidelines. Refer to TSB 15-0017 for repairs covered by the New Vehicle Limited Warranty
or Emissions Warranty.

Fiesta equipped with DPS6
Automatic Transmission 2011-2015 Cuautitlan November 3, 2009 through
December 31, 2014
Focus equipped with DPS6
Automatic Transmission 2012-2015 Michigan August 1, 2010 through
December 31, 2014

REASON FOR PROVIDING ADDITIONAL COVERAGE
Some of the affected vehicles may exhibit intermittent symptoms of loss of transmission engagement
while driving, no-start, or a lack of power. These symptoms are usually accompanied by a “Check
Engine” light illuminated on the instrument cluster. These concerns may be caused by electrical
circuit failures within the TCM. If the transmission is not serviced, these symptoms may become
more frequent and of longer duration.

I can't find the owners letter, but if it's you, then you should get one in the mail. Just figured knowing it's out there might help some of you who may be having issues. If you are having issues, as always, politely contact your dealer for best service!

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
Wow,...thanks for posting this Frantz. This is exactly what I was hoping Ford would do in regards to this transmission. Ford's original advertising on the car stated the Powershift was good for 150k and now Ford is backing that up. This pretty much ends all my concerns with the Powershift. If it fails after the 150k mileage, I'll just have it towed to the salvage yard since the car will have little resale value anyway and I'll feel I had gotten my monies worth out of the car.

Heck, I'll even consider buying another Ford based on this. ;)

·
Registered
6,017 Posts
Hehe,...that's pretty good. ;)

Ideally, they would stretch the clutch coverage the full 150k, but considering the TCM is itself I think about $2k and the second most common failure on the Powershift, I feel pretty good about this.
What was the earlier extension? Was it the clutches? I have a letter from Ford somewhere that I received about 6 months after I traded for the 5 speed... If anyone can find that earlier post and link it on this one, that might help restore some more faith.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I got my letter at the dealer....Bit of a story.

Helped my daughter buy her first car, few days before xmass. Its a 2014 hatchback, grey. Cool little car. she was very excited. And I was too, so I don't have to keep fixing her 2001 New Beetle Turbo! I got to be a Beetle expert not by choice.

We shortly noticed a tranny slip(as is so described on lots of forums). I decided to have the dealer Serv dept make a Service Entry for her, describing this condition and we would drive it for a few thousand miles.(knowing about "learn" cycles and wear in etc...)

It didn't get better, and the research showed me the issue, contamination of the clutch plates due to the leaking output shaft seal.

Expecting push-back from Ford and/or the dealer as so many have, I was very please bringing it in to the Serv Dept. They fully acknowledged the issue, printed out Fords new 100k tranny waranty and scheduled it, and ordered the needed parts. He actually said Ford wants the dealers to send them recordings of the slip and if below a spec, they want the dealers to "clean" clutches first.

The Sevice manager said he doesn't want to have cars coming back after cleaning them, and would provide whatever numbers Ford wanted, to be able to do the full rebuild with the redesigned parts.

And that was that!..I did stop by and witnessed the tranny apart. New clutches, and shaft seals. Its driving great and mileage is up to 33-34 city now. She also has the bumper to bumper 100k all-inclusive warranty also. My days of fixing the buggy are over!!

Dont hesitate with the tranny issue..Politely take it in with Fords warranty, along with a technical description of the issue from an internet search, and i'm sure the Service dept will work with you.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
The secret here is that changing the clutches pays a lot more than cleaning them, but the same work is required in both procedures. But it also is a customer satisfaction thing to fix the problem the first time, not come back in 3000 miles to have it done again.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I have replaced my TCM 4 times already, the same issue will come back usually after 15k miles Ford doesn't fix it only patches it. I'm at 148k miles and will be putting the vehicle in one last time before the warranty expires for good.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts