Fiesta Faction banner

US-Spec Fiesta, artists impression

19K views 122 replies 12 participants last post by  Marc 
#1 ·
#61 ·
Well I will take this result as the last remants of the "corporate inertia" that probably still haunts the halls in Dearborn....I would question WHY Dearborn would'nt have simply taken the EU Fiesta styling in its essence instead of forking around, ESPECIALLY since they roundly got blasted for the heavy handed ( I say FUGLY) Focus 08 restyle!

#62 ·
I'm still questioning the front fog change as well, it just looks obnoxious to me. At least the round ones on the EU car are more subtle and actually match the round reflector inserts in the HL unit.

#63 ·
Perhaps the plan was initially a Verve-inspired 3-bar grille that Ford decided to abandon late in the going. Maybe the insert isn't perfect, but the upper grille is about as close to the EU's in shape and size as would be possible given the alterations in extending the bumper and strengthening the portion between the grilles. I would have liked to see a larger lower grille, but I'm thinking the DOT codes must make such a design very difficult. For example, although Audi uses a large horsecollar grille, the bar for the license plate allows for a significantly taller steel beam than the EU Fiesta's would permit.

As someone mentioned, another advantage to this NA bumper (front and rear) is improving the low-speed damage--tests that the Fit and other B-segment products already here perform miserably. Now, the metal hood will be spared from mild impacts that could have damaged it on the EU model.

With the fog lights, the altered (again to meet US spec) headlight design means that the round foglight no longer has the direct visual link with theround projector headlights. Also, this side vent design is another element of the Verve design, and if the grille was truly a last minute alteration, having a trapezoidal insert painted body color then trying to make the round EU foglight housing would not have optimal results. The chrome may be a bit much for the side vents, but with the trapezoidal design about the only other option would be to go with faux-brake vents a la Fusion. The aftermarket is sure to try their hand at something--how about a true brake vent?

Back to the upper grille--the more I look at the Focus ST I wonder what a woven mesh metal grille would look like for at least that section. It's often done on performance vehicles and may work in this application.

#64 · (Edited)
Basically what azulejost said. Originally it was going to get the three-bar grille, the excuse being to better fit in with the Ford NA lineup (a reasoning I know you don't understand, but that's the reasoning regardless), which necessitated the smaller lower air intake, but the grille design was changed to the Euro-spec at the last minute, too late to change the bumper to give it a larger lower air dam and make it closer to the Euro model.

The American foglight housing shape is moving to the Euro cars as well, going by the Kuga and new C-Max; they're just black/unpainted with circular lights inside instead of chrome.

It's pretty useless complaining, since it's pretty clear from the last-minute mods Ford have done to the US-spec car that they're moving the US look completely over to the EU look, and more quickly than previously thought. I'd bet the Focus and other future Fords will be virtually identical to the European models barring the reflectors and other minor details.

#65 ·
FiestaFan:

Well at least Dearborn seemed to have responded to the complaints from both potential buyers and the automotive press in the US. That is a big bright spot, it does tell me that the old ways are finally going away, in the past I am certain that the complaints about the grill mods and the like would have been completely ignored by them.

Since they were proactive with respect to the grill and such I am hoping that the excellent seats in the EU car will come over intact, it almost seems possible to me now.

#66 ·
I don't think so, they actually showed the US Fiesta seats in that video way back didn't they? So those are pretty much complete...also there have been plenty of complaints about the seats, so Ford's probably taking that into account and making them a bit wider and stuff. I wouldn't be surprised if there was a sport seat option though.

#67 ·
Well if Ford allows the sport seat to be a stand alone option I would be completely happy. Do you have a pic of the EU sport seat option?

#70 · (Edited)
#69 · (Edited)
I believe the Sport Seat is the same as the Chinese one which more than likely what I will be buying after I buy my Fiesta to go with the other various goodies I need to buy with it. I'm hoping that it is true with the Focus MK III because if it is the same car minus a couple little changes for US regs I will buy one as well possibly if I work it right two. One to back date to a Focus MK II. I've often thought about buying a used Mexico Focus MK II and bringing it up which is a possibility I don't know since its something I don't condone or condemn. If the Transit connect had a manual option I would have bought one already because there are no actual real physical changes between the EU and the NA model. Just mirrors and added reflectors. Even the ignition for the Transit Connect is the complex Euro ignition not the basic NA tumbler ignition.

#73 · (Edited)
British car mag Auto Express is generally known to make the most ridiculous photoshops. Look what I came across -- a pic of what they think will be the new Focus (back in January 2008):

"The Focus is aiming ever higher at Ford – and Auto Express has the pictures to prove it. This is an exclusive preview of how the next generation of Ford’s family favourite is shaping up."

Compare with my ...

:rolleyes:

#74 ·
Great googly-moogly, both of those cars are sexy!

Amazing to see how the rendered Focus looks like the concepted USDM Fiesta, even with the Focus being done almost 2 years ago. Seems like they had the right idea. I hope the actual Focus looks as good as the rendering.

#84 ·
Whats crazy is these rims are available in the Five lug for the US Fusion Sedan. One thing I love dearly about FoE, they'll make the same style rim for five and four lug. I've noted that the Focus and the Fiesta and the KA have a lot of the same rims minus the lug pattern changes.

#85 ·
That new version of the Ka is really neat looking. I don't care for the color but the design is really nice. I think that would sell in the USA.

#87 ·
Problem persides that most of the exec board still believe that large cars and SUV's will outsell small cars. Mulally had to really fight tooth and nail to get the Fiesta to come over. I believe right now hes going at it hard core to get the KA over.

#88 ·
Considering the fact that the USD is tumbling quickly oil prices are once again about to sky rocket and thus gas prices will be very high by next year....I'm thinking the avg gas price will be about 3.50 or 4 $ by mid year 2010, with prices going even higher late next year, and I don't think they are going to come back down below 3.50 ever after 2010.

The Ka would be a perfect fit..if they were smart they would look into a diesel version as well...

#89 ·
Well I also predict that by June 2010 I will have the luxury of also seeing yard after yard with a brand new 2010 Truck or SUV sitting with a for sale sign in the windshield. Its a common fact North Americans really do not view the car as a family icon anymore. Its now the SUV or the Truck. When prices go down the cycle of selling these things occurs when gas prices go up the selling of cars ensues. I hate to say it but gas should be at 3 dollars a gallon. Let it slowly sink in that Obama isn't going to give them an economic bailout to keep their stupid gas guzzler.

Explanation

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.