Fiesta Faction banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I tried searching for this issue, but can't find any threads with similar symptoms. I just did a little maintenance on my Fiesta at 135,000 miles. There was a clunking in the front end anytime torque changed direction. I found the driver's side lower ball joint to be loose. So I installed new lower control arms with the ball joints already pressed in for both sides of the car. While I was at it I installed new quick struts up front and shocks in the back since my tire wear was very uneven. I also put on new tires since one of them was bald. After doing all of this the car now rides much better obviously (and with no clunking), but now I have this new shudder that happens around 20 mph.

It's very repeatable and seems to be vehicle speed related. It only exists when under positive torque. It's completely gone if I leave the car in gear and let off the accelerator. It's also less severe with higher gears, but I can feel the shudder at high speeds in those higher gears. It doesn't happen under braking at all.

Has anyone experienced this? I tried swapping the tires around in several configurations, but the shudder is still there. I didn't have any issue with the half shafts while doing this work so I'm kinda baffled as to what's causing this. I'm leaning towards a transmission mount, but I didn't touch any of them while replacing anything.

·
Super Moderator
1,319 Posts
It’s the motor mounts. Had this same issue. Be sure to buy Ford mounts as all others are garbage except the dog bone which there are aftermarket performance ones (same as ST)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It’s the motor mounts. Had this same issue. Be sure to buy Ford mounts as all others are garbage except the dog bone which there are aftermarket performance ones (same as ST)
Thanks for the tip. Am I stuck buying direct from Ford? Got a part #? Another engineer I work with also suggested that maybe the hydraulic mount had lost it's oil, and now that I tightened everything up it's rearing it's ugly head.
May sound like a stupid question but did you speed balance the new tires? Could be something that simple.
Yeah they were all balanced properly. I could've sworn it was a tire when I first felt it but then after rotating about 6 times and checking the balance I realized that it only happens under torque so it's definitely not a tire.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts