Fiesta Faction banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2016 Fiesta Ecoboost; stock except for an aluminum HURST shifter knob. Car has been flawless; wondering what to expect down the road. I have 74,500 miles in just over 2 years.

My daily commute is 75 miles each way, all but about 5 miles is freeway - nonstop. Usually I set cruise at 60-65 and never touch a pedal till I hit the exit 70 miles later. I get 50MPG tanks pretty regularly (best is 603 mi to empty)

So basically I drive less than 10% in suburbs or rural roads. No city driving. So about 10K on rural roads and 65K on the freeway.

I'm on my 2nd set of tires, and according to my mechanic the brakes are barely used.

I'm wondering what to expect in terms of longevity. By Christmas I'll be at 100K... what can I do to prolong life? And most importantly, what problems should one expect given this driver profile?

Review of Fiesta Ecoboost

The car has been excellent in almost every way. It took me a month or more to stop hurting from the seat (but 1-1/2 hours each way this is to be expected) because my muscles were just plain sore.

The transmission did take some getting used to, until I went with the advice of many here who say that the engine does love to rev. I've learned to build in a little headroom so that when I shift I do not lose RPMs, and shifting quickly has its merits.

Really, it is a three-speed with two overdrives. 1st gear is pretty much standard; perhaps a bit taller than most. On level ground, the car will drive along at idle in first - it's my preferred mode of travel in rare heavy traffic. Second is nice because the speed and RPM numbers match - 2000 RPM at 20 MPH, 3500 at 35, etc. so a little math suggests the ability to downshift into second at 60MPH if one is daring; 50-ish as a matter of course. Third gear is made for those 45-60MPH country roads that seem to be everywhere here. On the twisties I tend to vacillate between second and third.

Once you're out of third, the turbo begins to lose its effectiveness and the car turns into an almost normal econobox. I use 4th gear for those long 45-50MPH roads and 5th is for the freeway as it is pretty much useless at rural speeds (unless you want to squeeze out every MPG at 45 or so). I use DashCommand and have tracked how much time I spend in each gear:

1st 1%
2nd 5%
3rd 6%
4th 2%
5th 85%
Neutral <1%

It is very difficult for me to get below 30 MPG with any consistency in this car, and for fun, I have tried. Generally I average right around 50MPG, 35MPG if I want to take a back road. Mileage really decreases once I hit 65 or 70 MPG, so when I am in a miserly mood I hug the right lane and set the cruise for 60.

I tend to get better mileage without the cruise control, but not so much as to make that a worthwhile practice.

What DON'T I like about the car?

A little noisy on the road
Limited options; no heated seats or premium electronics
Paint chips easily

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have a 2014 Fiesta ST

My front pads were gone at 30k kilometres.. had to replace pads and rotors as they caught me out and had metal rubbing on the rotors. At 74k kilometres a coolant hose burst, at about 75k I had to replace the coolant reservoir tank as it was leaking then I had to replace the small coolant hose that goes from the reservoir back towards the firewall.

Now my radiator fan will not kick into high speed mode, in torque pro app the engine has been as high as 101 degrees Celsius and even switching on the A/C would not make the fan kick in to high speed mode. I have narrowed the problem down to the fan control module.

It's been driven hard most of it's life and I do oil and filter changes at about 5k kilometres, I actually noticed that after installing the oil catch can the car has it's full power more of the time.. where as before it seemed to have a lot of lazy days where the car just felt sluggish and "not very happy" to rev.. hot or cold it didn't matter. Now it's just more consistent and just has more energy and feels eager to just drive. Very weird but impossible to ignore.

I'm up to 77k kilometres now and the engine feels strong and no miss fire so far, one thing I noticed tho is I can feel a bit of slop in the engine mounts so that's what will fail next I am guessing.

I love these cars and I still don't regret buying it. Hope this helps.

Sent from my Mi MIX 2S using Tapatalk

·
Registered
209 Posts
LOL. Another 1 liter Ecoboost owner. I seldom see anything much past 3 grand unless I'm in a hurry. In fact the more I drive it the lower I rev it. I like it to come into the next gear around 1800 and lower. It will pull hard from 1800 although I don't much. I love the way the turbo just boosts at such low RPM. My diet of 94 Octane is good for this, as she does not need pull time nearly as much, and is definitely a smoother experience..

If I get on it its impressive.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I have a 2014 Fiesta ST

Now my radiator fan will not kick into high speed mode, in torque pro app the engine has been as high as 101 degrees Celsius and even switching on the A/C would not make the fan kick in to high speed mode. I have narrowed the problem down to the fan control module.
Fan relays are a known problem. You should also not the OEM fan rates below, at 32 degreees C ambient.

Temp vs Radiator Fan Speeds are:
82C / 180°F 0%
88C / 190°F 3%
99C / 210°F 3%
102C / 215°F 15%
104C / 220°F 30%
110C / 230°F 100%

·
Registered
10 Posts
Fan relays are a known problem. You should also not the OEM fan rates below, at 32 degreees C ambient.

Temp vs Radiator Fan Speeds are:
82C / 180°F 0%
88C / 190°F 3%
99C / 210°F 3%
102C / 215°F 15%
104C / 220°F 30%
110C / 230°F 100%
You saying that my engine is ok to run even at or above 101 degrees Celsius...??

In the photo it shows my high speed fan relay and heated windshield relay (the two grey ones) I swapped them as they are the same numbers and no change... Both function as before.

Maybe then it's just because my engine is not getting hot enough as it's winter now.. Just hard to think that all the times I heard that high speed fan kick in my engine was at 104 - 110 degrees Celsius...... From what I remember I only ever seen it at 97C.. until I noticed I hadn't heard it for a while then check and see it at 101... I'm a little lost tbh.

Sent from my Mi MIX 2S using Tapatalk

·
Registered
218 Posts
Water boils at 114 degrees C in the Fiesta 24psi system, less a couple of degrees depending on your coolant concentration.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts