Fiesta Faction banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
32,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you have a favorite brand of wax, or detailing product you swear by?

Post your recommendations here.

·
Registered
949 Posts
Autoglym.

On their products (and their website I just noticed), they advertise with 'Used by Aston Martin'. Yeah right! Or is it?
I was at a car meeting in the UK and we went to the Aston Martin factory! And yes indeed, there were trollies with the stuff on it :)

·
Registered
430 Posts
I used Meguiars too. I have used their gold class liquid wax and now using the new gold class carnaubas plus wax. I'll try the NXT 2.0 once I've used this up. FYI, Target sells them cheaper than Pep Boys or Autozone.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Pretty much just Megauirs for me too as I haven't seen much better results from far more expensive compounds.

Will inspect the paint when I get the car, hopefully the dealership doesn't put too many swirls on it or better yet....doesn't detail it for me at all. Probably go over the whole car with 205 and buffing pad, then glaze, seal and wax it.

·
Registered
522 Posts
I used to be in the whole detailing thing, then I got lazy.

Now it's just Optimum No Rinse Wash and Shine and Duragloss Aquawax (Spray wax).

·
Registered
642 Posts
Meguiars all around

I have never had a problem with Meguiars products and have found them superior to most products for the price I pay. I've already got a coat of Meguiars teflon wax on the Fiesta.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I never liked Turtle-wax products in the past.
So I always used either Meguiars or Mothers paste wax with Carnuba.
(both of which are good waxes!)
Then, a year or two ago, I decided to try a liquid wax, (which I thought
would be easier to use.)
When I was in the auto-parts store I saw that Turtle-wax had a new
"improved" wax called Turtle-wax platinum series Ultra Gloss liquid wax.
For some reason, I decided to give it a try.
I have to say I'm pretty impressed with it.
Unfortunately, it isn't that much easier to use than the paste wax;
but it gives a great shine and lasts as long (if not longer) than any
other wax I have ever used.
I'm impressed enough with it that, when it is time to wax my new
Fiesta, this is what I'm going to use!

g

·
Registered
207 Posts
It's Zaino or nothing else. It is a little expensive, but with the Fiesta being such a small vehicle, I'm not using that much of the product.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I ordered Liquid Glass on Amazon. Will wash the car w/ Dawn to remove the NXT Tech Wax that's on it, then run a clay bar over it. Dry it, then apply 2 or 3 coats of Liquid Glass w/ at 2-4 hour intervals (it has to "bake" in the sun) Then I 'll apply NXT Tech Wax periodically until I have to put Liquid Glass on again, prolly 6 mo. to a year later.

·
Registered
40 Posts
My Fiesta is tuxedo black and it is shimmery,well sparkly too. I am wondering if I should try BlackFire wax products I've been reading about. The finish is perfect, no swirls at all off the lot. I hope my Liquid Glass helps protect the finish

·
Registered
157 Posts
Clay Bar. Absolutely amazing what it does to smooth the surface.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Meguiars for me too, its easy to find a cheap. I don't like NXT. For cleaner wax I like the regular Zymol from Target. If I had a nicer car I'd probably spring for real Zymol and the stuff from Griots Garage. But I don't know how much better it would be. The supplies and tools from Griots are awesome though, if you guys haven't seen it check out their site.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Why don't you like NXT? I've never used it, but was considering it next, pardon the pun.

·
Registered
19 Posts
The NXT is supposed to be a cleaner wax which I don't think it does a good job smoothing out the paint. And it leaves almost a grease like film on the paint instead of a wet shine. I gave them 3 different trys with 3 different bottles purchased months apart and still not too happy. Also it seems to soak up atmospheric moisture if that is possible because theres always water in my bottle that doesn't mix into the wax no matter how much I shake it.

I use their cleaner wax in the burgandy bottle followed by the gold class or the carnuba whenever the paint needs a little more work otherwise it is just gold class then carnuba paste. They just don't last as long as the synthetic NXT.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Autoglym super resin polish, bloody brilliant. "By appointment to Her Majesty The Queen, Supplier of car car products, Autoglym, Letchworth, England"

Selected by: Morgan Motor Co, Aston Martin Lagonda, Jaguar Cars Ltd and McLaren Cars Ltd.

Expensive but worth it. The best stuff is......

·
Registered
157 Posts
Thanks for the info about NXT, e34john.

While I'm at it, what's the difference between "regular" Zymol and "real" Zymol, other than the extra tariff from Griot's?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Regular Zymol from Target or Walmart that comes in the flat round squeeze bottle is supposedly made by Turtle Wax and it is just a cleaner wax.

The stuff I call real Zymol comes in 2 varieties Carbon for darker paint and Cream for lighter colors. Its about 40 bucks and over 30% carnauba. Those are the general ones. Basically better ingredients and more of it. But using more expensive products still isn't a substitute for proper washing and protecting techniques along with reduced exposure to the elements

Then they make some that are specially formulated for different paint makeups used by manufacters from the 50 dollar jars of Honda or Volvo wax to hundred dollar Jaguar or Ferrari. Then there are the bottles I've never even seen like $500 to $10,000+ jars of car wax. There are even some really rare ones that are higher than that. But then I won't ever have a car that is shown at Pebble Beach so I won't even get to hold one of those jars in my hands. My favorite one is the one they "Customize" for you based on your location, they type of water you use to wash the car, what type of roads you drive on etc.

Wonder if they have something for a '63 beetle that spent 25 winters in New England before being parked outside suffering through Arizona summers only being washed by the naturally gritty monsoon rains.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts