Fiesta Faction banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is the leather/aluminum knob worth the $60?
I definitely don't like the lightweight plastic knob.

By the way, does the knob just unscrew?

·
Registered
3,428 Posts
Yes, I have the leather/aluminum Ford Accessory shifter in my Fiesta. eRic also has it installed. To install it you need to remove the bezel surrounding the shifter, unscrew the knob, remove the boot and boot retention clip, remove knob. To install, just reverse the process. Once you figure out how the bezel comes off, it is really easy. The new knob is very nice, and makes the interior look and feel more upscale. The leather matches the seats and steering wheel very nicely.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I got the aluminum interior styling kit that came with the shifter. It is nice, but I never used the old one so I don't know how much better it is.

·
Registered
2,986 Posts
installed the black leather aluminum knob and it is nicer than the stock plastic knob. not that I didn't like the stock knob but the leather aluminum knob is shaped for the Bondurant method of shifting with your palm.

·
Banned
528 Posts
It's much better than the stock shifter!

installed the black leather aluminum knob and it is nicer than the stock plastic knob. not that I didn't like the stock knob but the leather aluminum knob is shaped for the Bondurant method of shifting with your palm.
It is much better than the plastic stock shifter (had it for two weeks before they found my leather knob)...

It's worth the money!

·
Registered
430 Posts
Yup, I have the leather shift knob too. I definitely agree with those who have it in their Fiesta. Feels so much better in your hand than the stock plastic shifter.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My wife brought home a cheap generic leather knob from WalMart last night. I'll have to return it. Good intentions but I want the real thing.

·
Registered
421 Posts
It's Momo or nothin for this kid. Having said that however, I do agree the idiot knob (shift pattern) has GOT to go.

Looking for one next. Likely the Race Air, it would go very nicely with the interior colors. Probably will do the shift boot as well since the one from Ford looks about as sturdy as paper mache.

·
Registered
102 Posts
After my Fiesta was delivered, I purchased and had installed, the leather illuminated
shift knob.
Unlike, the rest of you, I think the plastic, original shift knob, is the more comfortable
of the two.
That being said, the new shift knob looks much better, and really looks cool at
night when it is illuminated.
So I'm glad I bought it!

·
Registered
522 Posts
I can't for the life of me figure out how to get the old knob off.

EDIT: 1hour later 4 beers down and a whole lotta cursing, I got the shifter on, looks nice, too bad I can't drive right now.

·
Registered
303 Posts
EDIT: 1hour later 4 beers down and a whole lotta cursing, I got the shifter on, looks nice, too bad I can't drive right now.
LOL!!!! At least you are a responsible driver

·
Registered
3,428 Posts
I can't for the life of me figure out how to get the old knob off.

Haha, at least you did not go out and test drive after your 4 brews. :D

My first attempt to remove the bezel failed since I was afraid to keep pulling on it. I tried again with a long screwdriver to pop the HVAC trim away. That worked very well. It was only a few minutes before the factory knob was off and the new one was installed. While the bezel was off, I wrapped the trim with 3M DiNoc. I took everything off again last week to redo and change the areas covered with the DiNoc. Trim removal now only takes a few moments since I figured out the best way to remove it from the HVAC area.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I too am afraid I'm going to damage my car by taking it apart. Could someone add a little more description about how this process is done? Also, does anyone have the measurements of the boot? I'm wanting to have a blur leather boot made to match the knob.

Thanks!

·
Registered
142 Posts
I saw in the back of the Fiesta brochure/catalog/thing that there is a knob with an illuminated gear number indicator on it. Seems awfully trick to me. Almost totally pointless, but I would like to see a video of one or something just for kicks.

It's a little connection to ultra awesome rally cars with a gear indicator, so I'll at least give it that.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Mine came with the illuminated package so i got the light up knob. I would get a aftermarket knob but i like how the illumination fits with the rest of the lights.

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Yeah, I think I'm going to order the leather/illuminated knob. Just for aesthetics really :D

I've seen videos of knobs with the gear number on top that changes during shifting. Pretty cool to see, but I don't think I'd want that in my car.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
I bought a leather illuminated knob on Ebay. From Hong Kong.:eek: It was about $15 with shipping. Should be here in two more weeks. It will either be a great bargain or a piece of junk. I'll let you know. I also got some LED bulbs coming.

·
Registered
508 Posts
I bought the leather non-illuminated knob but removed it and returned it because it sits about 1/2 - 3/4" higher and I didn't like making the already long shift throw longer. Now if someone could make a knob that sits lower than the stock knob I'd buy it in a second.

·
Registered
462 Posts
do yourself a favor....get the short shift, it is excellent....I have one in conjunction with the lit Knob and door sills, car is like a damn Xmas tree at night....lol

·
Registered
462 Posts
too busy chuckling leads me to double posting....

1 - 20 of 38 Posts