Fiesta Faction banner

Who plans on Auto-X or road racing their Fiesta?

25K views 121 replies 34 participants last post by  eRic 
#1 ·
Just curious...

#8 ·
I'll be autoxing mine next year as a winter/rain autocrosser but I don't think I'll campaign it seriously as I'm not yet convinced that it will be a competitive HS car. I raced in HS in '04/'05 with an HS Audi and I don't think the Fiesta is there unless more miles + a performance exhaust significantly increases the power. Sure handles good though so it should so well in the rain.

#9 ·
I will probably take my Fiesta autocrossing a few times, and also take it to GingerMan for open track stuff. My Mustang is my primary open track/autocross car, but sometimes its fun to have the Fiesta on track. I ran both my Mustang and the Fiesta Movement Fiesta last year.

#10 ·
I'm looking forward to chasing Mustangs at the next track event :) I run with the Shelby Club [mostly Mustangs] because they are really organized and strict concerning safety and limit their events at Waterford Hills to 50 cars in four run groups [A,B,C,D] so you have room and get plenty of track time.

#11 ·
If Darius (Black Fox Mustang) or Mike (red 82 Mustang GT) are running, tell them I say hi. Those guys run with the Motor City SAAC/SVTOA for open track events and have been a huge help with building my Mustang. Sadly with the schedual this season, I won't be able to make it to any autocrosses. Hopefully next year.

#17 ·
AutoX'd the Focus and loved it. Definitely want to hit up another event in the spring with the Focus or Fiesta. It makes it easier that the tires I was using for the Focus will fit the Fiesta as well :)

On a handling note.... has anyone noticed how the Fiesta 'bites' when you turn quickly? Don't know if I can fully explain it and I'm sure there is a correct term for it. Like on long sloping corners the Fiesta can hug the line, but past a certain degree on the steering wheel the little thing wants to dive right off at a right angle. I like that it's so eager to get me around the corner, but I'd like it to pay attention a little more, heh.

I've only ever felt a little bit of a roll in the body - nothing a firmer set of springs and little drop won't fix. Nice ridged chassis to begin with.

#21 ·
On a handling note.... has anyone noticed how the Fiesta 'bites' when you turn quickly? Don't know if I can fully explain it and I'm sure there is a correct term for it. Like on long sloping corners the Fiesta can hug the line, but past a certain degree on the steering wheel the little thing wants to dive right off at a right angle. I like that it's so eager to get me around the corner...
I won't be buying my Fiesta until 2011 or '12 but I'll speculate having test driven a few. Given the small amount of body roll and the back end not trying to swing out, I don't think the problem is the car transitioning to oversteer at the rear.

It sounds like the car might have a bit too much toe-out in the front. Too much toe-out can make the car 'darty', where the inside tire which is trying to turn a smaller radius than the outside will try to pull the car.

Check the front alignment for toe-out. and if so, reduce toe-out in increments. Don't go too far, as too much toe-in at the front can make the car scrub.

#29 ·
I've had my Fiesta out to two Auto-X events so far. Both in Illinois with the Champaign County Sports Car Club. Its pretty much stock except for Ford Racing Suspension, K&N intake, and a shorter shifter. Using the Continentals from our Focus to race on and it does great. Not the fastest off the line, but it turns really well. Planning on getting some camber bolts and new tires, maybe RS-3 or Starspecs.

#32 ·
I don't have a Fiesta yet, but Autocrossing is something I very much want to get involved in. I feel like racing is in my blood and I have to do it! Even if it is only solo in autocrossing.

Autocrossing was on my mind when I picked the Fiesta as my next car. It's definatly in the future plans for my car.

bneale

#34 · (Edited)
Awesome video eRic. I'm extremely jelous of you and your recording ability. That's a pretty awesome setup you have for recording the information. I love the track mapping and the telemetry you got going on there. I think the highest MPH you cracked was 49.9 for a brief second before you entered into that slalom section.

Not that I'm an expert or anything, but I think you might be able to get a few extra tenths if you make your entries a little less aggressive. It looks to me like you almost nailed that first cone going into that slalom section.

Still, I'm no expert. It was awesome watching you toss the Fiesta around though. That's something I really look forward to doing. Forgive me for not looking, but any chance you can tell us a little about your car? I noticed you have the Magnaflow exhaust installed, but any other goodies worth mentioning?

bneale

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.