Fiesta Faction banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had some time this holiday weekend, so I got the Meguiars clay bar and NXT 2.0 wax out. After the clay and two coats of wax, I was amazed at how easy the bugs came off this morning with a cloth and some quick detailer. Hopefully this holds up better than the first was job. I think the soap at the wash it yourself place eats wax. Any one have other thoughts on wax thats last longer? I know this topic gets hit over and over in other forums.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Had some time this holiday weekend, so I got the Meguiars clay bar and NXT 2.0 wax out. After the clay and two coats of wax, I was amazed at how easy the bugs came off this morning with a cloth and some quick detailer. Hopefully this holds up better than the first was job. I think the soap at the wash it yourself place eats wax. Any one have other thoughts on wax thats last longer? I know this topic gets hit over and over in other forums.
All those car wash places uses highly concentrated soap to get grime off. Wash your car yourself at home with Optimum No Rinse Wash and Shine if you don't have access to a hose like myself. It's a helluva lot cheaper than those car washes and its a gentle wash. If you want a wax that last a long time, look into Collinite 845, its an actual wax and not a sealant like NXT.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I'm planning to clay the car ASAP. I was a little surprised to find that the paint wasn't that smooth. But, that's what clay is for. I may do the NXT 2.0; I have the Gold Class wax, which I may use instead of spending any more $ right now.

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
I've had pretty good luck with NXT 2.0 as well. I'd clay bar the car first, then (if necessary), I'll use some Scratch X to get some of the deeper scratches. Then, I'd put on a good coat of NXT 2.0.

To help the elements and car wash soaps, I've used Meguiars Ultimate Spray Wax as a "touch up" shine, as well as the Ultimate Detailer Spray.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
NXT 2.0 Update

I love the super slick and shiney appearance after using Meguiars. I am however, dissappointed in how long it lasts. my Labor day weekend work, only lasted 3 1/2 weeks. Never touched the car with soap after that. just plain water and Ultimate quick detailer. I am now debating on the purchase of the Zaino line. I hate to pay the price, but if I can get 3 months out of a quality wax/polish/whatever they call it, I will be happy. Any dedicated Zaino fans out there?

·
Registered
48 Posts
I love the super slick and shiney appearance after using Meguiars. I am however, dissappointed in how long it lasts. my Labor day weekend work, only lasted 3 1/2 weeks. Never touched the car with soap after that. just plain water and Ultimate quick detailer. I am now debating on the purchase of the Zaino line. I hate to pay the price, but if I can get 3 months out of a quality wax/polish/whatever they call it, I will be happy. Any dedicated Zaino fans out there?
I've never waited that long in-between coats myself. I seem to wax 1-2 a week. I know I know. It's an obsession.

·
Registered
3 Posts
i use a like a cleaner wax first then i will use a 100% pure carnauba wax and it is really good and it holds for a while.. these are the products i use.. pro gold first then the yellow wax paste.. PRO Car Beauty Online - Waxes i have tried many of their other products and i have not been disappointed with any yet.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Any dedicated Zaino fans out there?
Yep, right here.

Even though I am new here, and waiting for my recently ordered Fiesta, I used Zaino on my current vehicle. With hand washing, it lasted almost 6 months. The finish is so slick that it is nearly impossible to lean against the car.

I will be using it on my new car, without a doubt.

·
Registered
340 Posts
I've never tried clay...

...the idea of rubbing dirt (regardless of how fine it might be) onto the paint makes the little hairs on the back of my neck (and everywhere else, ftm) stand straight up in rapt attention. Clay is an abrasive, and abrading the paint to 'clean' it can't be a good thing long term, regardless of short term results. I know, i'm old fashioned...

My wax of choice is NXT 2.0 too..it's absolutely fantastic in providing a smooth, deep gloss that really clarifies and defines the underlying color and hue of the paint, it's unlike any wax I've used, I recommend and endorse it heartily and w/o reservation!

The longevity is based on factors like weather and temp, if you garage your baby, etc., but I find it lasts about 4 months, which is acceptable.

Oh, and about car washes....talk about piloerection...the idea of putting my virgin car into the mechanical maw of a modern car wash is akin to putting my arm in a meat grinder. I'm one of those guys who looks at the weather channel in the winter waiting for the temp to go above freezing to put on my big black rubber gloves to go out there with a bucket of warm water and car wash solution....

·
Registered
76 Posts
...the idea of rubbing dirt (regardless of how fine it might be) onto the paint makes the little hairs on the back of my neck (and everywhere else, ftm) stand straight up in rapt attention. Clay is an abrasive, and abrading the paint to 'clean' it can't be a good thing long term, regardless of short term results. I know, i'm old fashioned...
It is more like silly putty than an abrasive. Swirl remover has more abrasive in it than a clay bar does. Plus it is used with a lubricant, usually soap and water. It is labor intensive as the bar grabs fine particles embedded in the dimpling of the paint and you have to keep working the clay to make sure you are not using the particles you've drawing out of the paint as a fine sandpaper.

Think of it more like a lint roller to lift the debris that helps oxidize and discolor the paint away from the paint.

I'm pretty old fashioned myself. I painted my first car with lacquer paint, wet sanding between each coat. It was my first full car paint job, inside and out, and had only helped on car paint jobs before that one. Took for darn near ever to finish, but it looked great. The last step was to polish the paint, with an abrasive compound. (Not something you'd want to do with a clear coat finish.) It was a great paint job for such a crappy car.

My last vehicle was clay-barred, sealed with Zaino, and washed infrequently. Resealed even more infrequently. Parked in driveway or parking lots, or 99.9% of its life outside. Driven hard. It has over 309k and is almost 10 years old. The paint has no fading and looks good. (Any fading would be apparent as a deer caused the right fender to be replaced last year and stock factory color was applied.) Sure, the front of the left fender, behind three of the wheels, and grill have chips, but except for that, it looks great.

I may be crazy and too modern, but the results I have now will have me clay barring my Fiesta the day I get it. I'm too old and too busy to be repainting in my garage in the next 10 years and I don't know a paint man that I would trust that is not already retired.

·
Registered
508 Posts
I am a huge fan of Meguiar's Mirror Glaze #60 "Shampoo and Conditioner". It's better than any other car wash I've used including Meguiar's own #00 High Tech wash. I havce never seen any car was that's as slippery as the #60 is and it does a great job of removing the dirt without scratching the paint surface. The only downside is it's a little on the expensive side in the small bottle but the gallon is a good value so always go for that.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Everybody's got a personal preference for washing and waxing their cars. Don't see anybody talking about how they dry the car after washing. My favorite trick is to use my leave blower. It's like an 80 mph wind tunnel. Takes no time at all, [U]it's touch free [/U]and gets all the moisture out of the little nooks and crevices.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Everybody's got a personal preference for washing and waxing their cars. Don't see anybody talking about how they dry the car after washing. My favorite trick is to use my leave blower. It's like an 80 mph wind tunnel. Takes no time at all, [U]it's touch free [/U]and gets all the moisture out of the little nooks and crevices.
I just take mine out on the highway:
1 - It's Hands-on
2 - It's 90MPH!
3 - It's much more fun! :D

/sarcasm

·
Registered
617 Posts
I just take mine out on the highway:
1 - It's Hands-on
2 - It's 90MPH!
3 - It's much more fun! :D

/sarcasm
....But where I live, you'd have bugs stuck all over the front before you got back home. :D

·
Registered
157 Posts
My favorite trick is to use my leave blower. It's like an 80 mph sand blaster. Takes no time at all, it's touch free and gets all of my cars ready for repainting!.
There. Fixed that for ya.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Zaino is great, I've been using in on my Mustang for about 4 years now along with a clay bar every spring.
A word of warning, wait about 4 to 6 months before waxing your cars, the paint may be dry but there are still solvents still seaping through the paint for months. By waxing, you seal the solvents in the paint and you will get small bubble pops in the paint after about a year. Have this problem with some of the stripes on the Stang.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Is it best to clay bar after a rinse or full on wash? Full on wash correct??
You'll do FULL wash. Not the usual wash with soap, but actually dishwashing detergent to strip off any wax or sealer.

Use a good car wash soap solution with the clay bar. You are getting debris out of the paint.

Do it correctly and it is amazing how much rail dust you will pull out.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Wash it good and use about a cup of Dawn, it will cut all old wax and any road oils on the car. this is something you do not want to do on a regular basis as it strips all protection of the waxes off the car.
Then clay bar with about two tablespoons of car wash soap in a quart spray bottle, keeping the area you are working wet and rinse often.
Do not drop the clay bar, if you do, trash it, it will pick up sand and gravel off the ground and you don't want to grind that into your paint.
Make sure you get a coat of wax or two or three on the car ASAP as there is no protection aginst UV at that point.
Good luck, it makes for a great looking car.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts